Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:50 AM

45 posts, read 219,583 times

Advertisements

Looking at all the other Southern states in this forum it is obvious that North Carolina is hands down the most popular Southern state for transplants.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what it is about N.C. that is so attractive.
A few other Southern states have the same criteria that has been stated over and over in the NC forum. i.e mountains AND the coast, cities with cultural oportunities, and small cities close enough in to enjoy some city conviences.

Georgia has both mountains and the coast, South Carolina has a beautiful coast and is very close to the NC mountains, Alabama has a mountainous region along with a beautiful gulf coast, a desirable city (if you haven't visited Birmingham in the last several years you have no idea), and Mobile is 45 minutes from the coast and is beautiful. Tenn has beautiful mountains, a progressive city and is full of music history from country to the blues. I can understand Mississippi as they are still digging out from the hurricane as well as Lousiana. And neither of them have the mountain aspect to their states.

I guess what I'm saying is the Southern states all have a lot to offer and nobody seems to realize that. This is in no way a slam to any of you relocating. Heck, WE relocated because we had no choice, this is where my husbands job took him during the tech bust of the ninties and jobs were hard to find anywhere for his expertise.

So if you are so inclined and are not offended by my asking, why are other southern states not as desirable to you if you are educated in what they offer as well as here.

Honestly, I could be happy in any of them but happiest in my home state, one of which is listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 95,448 times
Default well for us

it was really finding out how good the schools are there. top that with its only a few hours drive from dc, and having plenty of family there on my dad's side, and my husband's grandma already there too, really sealed the deal for us.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
We're leaning toward NC because of it's selection of affordable metro areas, wide choices of higher ed institutions, mild climate, and greater exposure to diversity than where we are now.

I'll be honest; we'd go back to California or Hawaii if we could afford it. We'd choose Atlanta if it were mainly for diversity's sake. But Charlotte metro is likely to offer most of what we need and more of what we want.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM

29 posts, read 117,537 times
NC isn't as far as a drive for most. In my case NC is far enough to escape my family but still close enough to visit. If I could talk my husband into moving to SC thats where I would go, but he says its too far.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:15 PM

45 posts, read 219,583 times
thanks for the input. It paints a broader picture for me...

Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
I was born here. I have tried to leave and can't. I guess it is in the blood or something.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 PM

167 posts, read 945,022 times
For me it was a really strange realization...
In January, we'd been without sunshine for what felt like weeks and I had this sudden urge to just drive somewhere, get to the ocean and some sunshine, and the thought that popped into my head was "North Carolina." Now, NC had never entered my mind in any capacity before this. I don't know anyone there and I knew nothing about the state. So why did I want to drive there all of a sudden? Who knows. I mapped it out and almost did it but then my fiancé talked some sense into me. This was 5 days before the beginning of my final semester of college and not really the best time to take a spur-of-the-moment trip like this.

I kind of forgot about it but then, a few weeks later, I went to ****.com and took this quiz to get some ideas for where I might like to move. I'm graduating from college in two weeks and I am finally free to live where ever I want. I have lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin my whole life but I have never felt like I was meant to be here. The winters are so hard on me, no sunshine, just living for the hope of spring coming someday. I know that sounds dramatic but it really can be difficult for people who don't enjoy winter activities like snowmobiling and skiing, etc. This year was really a pisser-- In March, it was 60* and sunny one Friday, and I thought "YES! We get an early spring this year! Thank GOD!" The following Monday, we got three feet of snow.
Anyway. Back to my point. ****.com gave me a list of 24 places I should be pretty happy, based on the answers I gave to their questions about climate, cost of living, crime, entertainment, community, etc. Of those 24 places, 7 were in NC. The rest were scattered around the country.

When I told my best friend I was interested in NC, she told me that she was planning on going there during her road trip after graduation-- she's graduating (from a different college) the same day as I am and doesn't know what she wants to do or where she wants to go, so she's going to spend a month driving around Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee, etc. She offered to change her plans a bit and take me with, so we'll drive through NC and I'll fly home after about 10 days there.

So it seems a bit fated, for me. I didn't know how cheap houses are there (compared to here--if our house was in NC we would have paid probably less than half of what we did pay for it three years ago, but we are also in the wealthiest county in Wis.) or much of anything about the state when I first got interested. My big thing was sunshine-- I want more of it. So I guess that's my long-winded answer! Sunshine, baby-- give me more.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
One reason so many Northerners move here to NC is b/c all you ever hear up North is how ''great'' NC is this and that. A lot of them are very unhappy where they are at. Many of them supposedly move to ''get away'' but what they don't realize is that they bring the negative with them. A word of advice. Instead of taking other people's opinions and asking, come down here and see it for yourself. One person may like it and another person may not. Or, better yet, do both things (ask and come see it for yourself.) I don't know why NCians think it's so ''great.'' Then again, in every state people think that.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
As a native...born and bred...I honestly dont see the big deal with North Carolina...It is not "all that".. TRUST ME..when i say this... Actually looking to move to the Southwest ...Nevada/Arizona/Colorado....i've visited several times...just find myself being drawn to the Southwest.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
We realize any new place is going to be great. Any OLD place is generally going to be nasty. I suppose we came to North Carolina for several reasons.

It was the first place to offer me a job (VERY important)

It is a LOT closer to family in MI than New Mexico is.

We want to be in a place that still has a respect for history and is not over run by sprawl and the desire to replace the past with new for the sake of growth...though parts of Raleigh and Cary are trying their best...

We believe we made a GREAT choice in coming to North Carolina...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: