Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM

70 posts, read 70,098 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone -

I've never been to NC but I'm fed up with living in California and want to relocate to a place with a slower pace of living, not so much traffic, close to the mountains and where the trees grow and a person can actually afford to buy a house with a garden.

That being said, I'm 41 years old and work as a Tax Accountant. I'm not a CPA, just have a Bachelor's degree and Enrolled Agent designation. Will it be difficult to find work in the area? Should I find a job first and then relocate?

Any tips would be helpful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctgirl View Post
...want to relocate to a place with a slower pace of living, not so much traffic,
close to the mountains and where the trees grow and , and, and...

Any tips...
Try someplace up in the Sierra's before crossing the country.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:24 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
A lot of people seem to like the Asheville area. We have family and friends there. It’s a beautiful place with a lively downtown. You’d actually have a life compared to what you have now.

It’s become a boom town and the population has grown astronomically in the past decade or so. Traffic is pretty bad—not California bad—but bad enough. It’s also relatively expensive.

Because it’s growing, you could probably find a decent job. Have you looked online to see?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Just being honest to answer your questions:

I've never been to NC but I'm fed up with living in California and want to relocate to a place with a slower pace of living, not so much traffic, close to the mountains and where the trees grow and a person can actually afford to buy a house with a garden.

Is there any particular reason you're set on Asheville? Especially considering that you mention that you've never been there, or anywhere in NC? There are lots of places on the east coast with much less traffic, a slower pace of life, and more affordable housing than Asheville. There are much better options in my opinion. The problem is compounded by Asheville's hype of making various national lists which creates the demand for more people wanting to move there and an economy that is woefully inadequate to support that movement.

That being said, I'm 41 years old and work as a Tax Accountant. I'm not a CPA, just have a Bachelor's degree and Enrolled Agent designation. Will it be difficult to find work in the area? Should I find a job first and then relocate?

Yes, it could be difficult to find work in Asheville, as it is generally a low wage, high cost tourism related area with demand for jobs because of so many newcomers and prospective newcomers exceeding supply of jobs by a long shot. At least that's the way most fields are in the Asheville area. Under no circumstances would I encourage anyone to move there (especially a place like Asheville) without a job unless money is of no concern. If you had a job in hand in Asheville, which would very likely be at a much lower wage than what you're used to in CA, then it might be an area to consider living in, but there are so many more affordable options in other parts of the upper South if that's the area you're interested in. For example, if you had a job in Winston-Salem or Greenville, SC, you would be within an hour or less of the mountains (which include much more than Asheville) but living in a much more affordable area with plenty of amenities in their own right. Housing affordability in Asheville compared to area wages is considerably poorer than many places in the southeast.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-05-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina