Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2020, 02:40 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times

Advertisements

Parsing through the election results and I noticed a couple of things:

1 - I’m going to have to eat some crow for underestimating New Hanover County. They ended up going blue for the first time since 1976.

2 - I said in the Swing County thread weeks ago that if Robeson was going to go red again, that either Hoke, Scotland, or both would come into play. Well, Hoke pretty much stayed the same, but Scotland flipped to the red column and voted for Trump (along with Dillon County in SC). Disappointed but not really surprised that Robeson would go that way.

If I were in the NC Democratic Party, I would really be looking for ways to get Southeastern NC back because it’s not sustainable to lose all those counties in Eastern NC (in the last 30 years) and then deal with the Western part of the state, which is also disproportionately red.

3 - There has been relatively few flips in terms of the counties this year. Two Trump counties flipped and one Clinton county flipped.

4 - Another thing the pundits and pollsters missed: Nash County.
In 2016 it voted for Trump by 84 votes. Now Biden is leading by 49 votes. Margins here are getting tighter and tighter.

5 - I don’t know if this is true in the Triad and Charlotte, but in the Triangle Biden won the counties with larger margins while actually losing precincts. Durham lost a couple of precincts that were in North and West Durham and another one near Hope Valley. In Wake County, virtually all Apex, a large portion of Cary, most of North Raleigh, and even portions of Morrisville turned red.

This Election was kind of weird.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 11-06-2020 at 02:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 10:25 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
@Renownedtheworldaround, appreciate the post. Is this dataset easily accessible? I only found this so far, https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1373

Old 11-06-2020, 10:59 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

1 - I’m going to have to eat some crow for underestimating New Hanover County. They ended up going blue for the first time since 1976.

2 - I said in the Swing County thread weeks ago that if Robeson was going to go red again, that either Hoke, Scotland, or both would come into play. Well, Hoke pretty much stayed the same, but Scotland flipped to the red column and voted for Trump (along with Dillon County in SC). Disappointed but not really surprised that Robeson would go that way.

If I were in the NC Democratic Party, I would really be looking for ways to get Southeastern NC back because it’s not sustainable to lose all those counties in Eastern NC (in the last 30 years) and then deal with the Western part of the state, which is also disproportionately red.

3 - There has been relatively few flips in terms of the counties this year. Two Trump counties flipped and one Clinton county flipped.

In 2016 it voted for Trump by 84 votes. Now Biden is leading by 49 votes. Margins here are getting tighter and tighter.

5 - I don’t know if this is true in the Triad and Charlotte, but in the Triangle Biden won the counties with larger margins while actually losing precincts. Durham lost a couple of precincts that were in North and West Durham and another one near Hope Valley. In Wake County, virtually all Apex, a large portion of Cary, most of North Raleigh, and even portions of Morrisville turned red.

I beg to differ, I think the GOP should focus on how to dig into the urban vote, it will dominate NC in a decade. You can only gerrymander so much...that strategy is running out of steam.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:01 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I beg to differ, I think the GOP should focus on how to dig into the urban vote, it will dominate NC in a decade. You can only gerrymander so much...that strategy is running out of steam.
I agree, as it would really help them. The GOP has already been very successful in Miami and got almost 45% of the votes there. I don’t see why they can’t do it in NC and the other states as well.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:12 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:

Those precinct maps I think are still way off. Based on the total numbers of votes tabulated when you go over each precinct; they appear to just reflect votes cast on Tuesday (Trump-heavy); which are a very small percentage of total votes.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Those precinct maps I think are still way off. Based on the total numbers of votes tabulated when you go over each precinct; they appear to just reflect votes cast on Tuesday (Trump-heavy); which are a very small percentage of total votes.
Agreed. Lots of experts are also saying not to trust exist polls when it comes to demographics and percentages. Wait for everything to come in, and then look at it holistically.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:

Just to make sure people understand what you're saying. These are votes on Election day at that precinct. It's not a complete picture at all due to the fact that most of (85%+) voted early and or mailed their ballots in. A considerable amount of those folks voted D over R. You can't compare precinct day numbers from 2016 to 2020, since early and ESPECIALLY mail-in voting was vastly higher in 2020 and the mail-in votes heavily favored Dems.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:58 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
I'm not surprised, because they voted for Trump and Cooper in 2016 too. I think Cal Cunningham is very moderate and probably would have won if he did not have his scandal. Even most of my die-hard Democratic friends voted for him, but were mad. Tillis was an extremely vulnerable Republican, and Cunningham blew it.

What I don't understand is how people chose to vote for Cooper and then Mark Robinson for Lt. Governor? It seems like anyone who would have voted for Robinson would have also supported Dan Forest. I thought they were pretty aligned on their reopen, anti-mask agenda.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I didn't vote there because I live in Virginia. However, I had full support for Tillis because he was the GOP Candidate. I am a strong Republican and often vote straight GOP Ticket unless something drastic is in the mix with either the candidate or a specific issue. Although I will admit, I did vote for Obama over John McCain, but that was the only exception that I ever remember voting for a democrat.
Yet, you've been telling us about our candidates. . .

Go to the Charlotte board and dig up the thread about I77. It's part of Tillis' record.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
What I don't understand is how people chose to vote for Cooper and then Mark Robinson for Lt. Governor?
I think it was low information voters who just voted for a man. He didn't put his face on his campaign literature so I'm sure a bunch of them thought "Mark Robinson" sounded like the name of a white guy like them. Yvonne Holley does not sound like a white guy.

I am not surprised that people voted for Trump and Cooper, but I just don't understand the logic of that. I think there isn't any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina