Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?
Washington, D.C. 27 29.67%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Neither 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 06:16 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Raleigh, graduated from high school in 1970. I never thought much about either D.C. or or Atlanta, other than the importance of D.C. as our nation's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:14 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Why does being a fan of a sports team have anything to do with the initial question?
Sports fandom is usually geographically related:
https://www.vox.com/2014/10/14/69512...ts-maps-charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I grew up in Raleigh, graduated from high school in 1970. I never thought much about either D.C. or or Atlanta, other than the importance of D.C. as our nation's capital.
Ever go on overnight field trips to either? As a data point, my Raleigh school orchestras went to both, but DC far more often.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I grew up in NC and never went to either DC or Atlanta with school. I did go to Williamsburg with school.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:05 PM

617 posts, read 553,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I grew up in NC and never went to either DC or Atlanta with school. I did go to Williamsburg with school.
Same here. We always seemed to stay in NC other than Williamsburg. We went to Charlotte, Greensboro, the coast etc.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Ever go on overnight field trips to either? As a data point, my Raleigh school orchestras went to both, but DC far more often.
No field trips. Did take one family trip to DC when I was quite young. Never went to Atlanta until after college.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:14 PM

65 posts, read 21,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh feels 0 like the District of Columbia. Mostly because they are 0 alike. Culturally or build. Do you know DC’s nickname??? Google Chocolate City...

Raleigh feels like Fairfax & Loudon counties.. Then again. Most places feel like Fairfax and Loudon though. Annapolis, MD feels way more like DC (if you’re going based on capital cities)

Atlanta has a lot more in common with DC than either Carolina city. Also want to point out by a percent basis, Metro Atlanta pumped out Democratic voters compared to the triangle region. For those who want to act like Atlanta is honky tonk compared to Triangle. If Triangle was as blue as Atlanta, NC would’ve went Biden. So the “more progressive than thou†attitude kinda falls flat against Atlanta considering how blue the metro is. Since when is voting for trump more progressive?? Fairfax and Durham turned out at similar margins for Biden, Loudon and Wake also turned out at nearly the same margin for Biden.

In geographic terms, I feel like east of GSO, DC is the go-to and west of GSO, ATL is the go-to. That’s just geography. Being closer to DC doesn’t mean Raleigh is any less of a buttered biscuit...

Dude. Yikes. Racism much? Jesus.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post

I agree especially with the latter paragraph. Lots of similarities can be drawn between Charlotte and Atlanta and DC and the Triangle. Atlanta and Charlotte both have large corporate presences and large downtown cores, whereas Raleigh and DC are more multi-nodal and built around the pieces you said.
Exactly what I meant. My OP was not in anyway implying DC and Raleigh were the same racially as the previous poster's reply seem to suggest.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:24 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
If we overlook the major city in the state borders, I will say Atlanta.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If we overlook the major city in the state borders, I will say Atlanta.
"Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?"

I think the title of the forum tells you the choice is between Atlanta and DC and not any of the NC cities

Answer(s):

For Raleigh it's DC
For Charlotte it's Atlanta
For Greensboro it's a coin toss for either

Old 02-12-2021, 09:07 AM

725 posts, read 495,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplanted View Post
"Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?"

I think the title of the forum tells you the choice is between Atlanta and DC and not any of the NC cities

Answer(s):

For Raleigh it's DC
For Charlotte it's Atlanta
For Greensboro it's a coin toss for either
The problem is that the truth is being spoken in this thread is that most North Carolinian do view Charlotte as their closest major city despite someone trying to make it seem otherwise. The title SHOULD of been :which OTHER
major city outside of Charlotte do North Carolinian view as closest, Atlanta or D.C.? And by the way D.C. is my hometown and I still view Charlotte as the major city for the state.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina