Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times

Advertisements

I'm not from cali and this might be slightly off topic, but figured I'd post on the tail-gatting thing. Two days ago on the beltline some guy was tail-gatting me so close I could barely see his face. I was in the middle lane and there was more traffic in the fast lane, so he figured he could just move over to my lane and "push me" out of the way. I tapped on my breaks a few times after I couldn't take it anymore. He proceeds to whip his car around me and tried to run me off the raod. I had to quickly change lanes into the slow lane and he moved over and proceeded to pick up what looked like an empty liquor bottle and threated to throw it at my window (he was yelling something, but my window was up and I couldn't hear). So I slow down to like 40 mph and he slows down still almost rubbing the side of my car and just when I though he was going to throw the bottle I slammed on my breaks and pulled pretty much on the shoulder. He just took off and started zig-zagging around other cars and took off before I could call police (should have anyway, but didn't). Now that makes me want to get a concealed weapons permit. I used to be a cop, so it sucks I no longer can protect myself.

Anyway people will tale-gate the hell out of you around here (much worse than DC). Usually you tap the breaks and they back off, but this dude went nuts! Be aware that you never really know who you are dealing with and some people might go into some road rage when they don't get their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Do the cops issue tickets for tail-gating in NC? I would think so. Again, I don't think it really matters what state or country a person is in there is always a few rotten apples!! There does seem to be more tail-gating here in NC but just as many people who have lived here their entire lives complain about them as much as newbies do. IMPO I ran into a lot more road rage in CA then here by far.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Anyway people will tale-gate the hell out of you around here (much worse than DC). Usually you tap the breaks and they back off, but this dude went nuts! Be aware that you never really know who you are dealing with and some people might go into some road rage when they don't get their way.

Bet he had lived in NC for only a few years at most. The arrogance and impatience of newcomers are a great deal of the reason they receive less than friendly welcomes.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 90,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC
Many people out here go to Church. If you don't go to Church learn to live with the people who do. Telling people you don't belive in God will not make you many friends out here.

Can I get an Amen on this? LOL! Funny thing is though.....my new neighbors from CA are the ones that had the rudest hissy fit when they heard through 'the grapevine' (Fundie Baptist family two doors down...and the biggest snoops, gossips and hypocrites around) that we didnt go to church.

Funny thing is....I always seen their three rude children screaming around yard all Sunday morning....so I don't think they go either!"

Well Amen !!! That was very funny!!! We're movin' out from SD to NC and we'll be very very quiet about where we come from etc cause we really DO want to change the pace and environment. We don't want to bring CA with us. We will learn to be Southerners. Nope, won't be talkin' religion or politics though. Can't wait to get out of the desert and the land with no rain.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM

758 posts, read 2,288,001 times
Hi, everyone. Hope you're enjoying this beautiful autumn as much as we are!

As CA longtimers recently moved to Hendersonville, Bill and I have been very surprised to hear so much about tailgating here in WNC. We haven't noticed it at all (other than once or twice) in the Greater Asheville Area in the month we've lived here or in the years we've visited. And somehow tailgating doesn't seem consistent with all the nice Southern hospitality we hear about, observe, and appreciate. It also doesn't seem consistent with the general pace here. So WHY, we have wondered, do people tailgate?

As I pondered that, I had a series of flashbacks to my dear dad in PA, now in Heaven. Believe me, my dad was a really good man--kind, loving, extremely humble, hard-working, dedicated to God, family, friends, musicians, and customers alike. He made and repaired violins in the Greater Pittsburgh Metro Area and beyond. As Chairman of the PA Fiddlers' Association for years, he was one of the most respected men in the entire state.

But he had a habit of tailgating that drove Mother and me NUTS! Okay--he drove ME nuts!! Mother was apparently used to it.

Tailgating was consistent with Dad's personality! He got up every day at dawn and worked til dusk even to the day he suddenly died at 84. He was always "wired," drank coffee instead of water, rushed into every room, collapsed into sleep only when he finally sat down. In other words, he had an incredible enthusiasm and energy, an unquenchable passion and joy for life and a remarkable sense of urgency (have to do everything "now"!!). That personality played itself out, unfortunately, on the road. Dad never had an accident, by the way. But he made me crazy every time I sat in the back seat of his car! He'd jump on the accelerator, jump on the brake, tag the car in front of him as if to see whether the driver had shaved recently, look constantly for the first opportunity to pass. It was as if he needed to get where he was going before he bled his last drop of blood. I wondered how much of his aggressive driving was pure male ego, how much personal proof that he was "in control" of his life, and how much sheer bad habit learned from... who knows?

I totally loved my dad. I give thanks for his inheritance, in fact--I have his same insane "wiry," eager disposition--BUT I DON'T TAILGATE. And I refuse to sit in a car driven by anyone who does! That is one NASTY habit!!!

Hope this post gives someone new perspective into "rude" and "aggressive" drivers.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM

758 posts, read 2,288,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'm not from cali and this might be slightly off topic, but figured I'd post on the tail-gatting thing. Two days ago on the beltline some guy was tail-gatting me so close I could barely see his face. I was in the middle lane and there was more traffic in the fast lane, so he figured he could just move over to my lane and "push me" out of the way. I tapped on my breaks a few times after I couldn't take it anymore. He proceeds to whip his car around me and tried to run me off the raod. I had to quickly change lanes into the slow lane and he moved over and proceeded to pick up what looked like an empty liquor bottle and threated to throw it at my window (he was yelling something, but my window was up and I couldn't hear). So I slow down to like 40 mph and he slows down still almost rubbing the side of my car and just when I though he was going to throw the bottle I slammed on my breaks and pulled pretty much on the shoulder. He just took off and started zig-zagging around other cars and took off before I could call police (should have anyway, but didn't). Now that makes me want to get a concealed weapons permit. I used to be a cop, so it sucks I no longer can protect myself.

Waterboy, as retired law enforcement with concealed weapons permit, the last thing Bill would have done is shoot that crazed driver--out of concern for the safety of himself and others. If the "crazy" backs you into a corner, of course, and you're defending your life, that's a different scenario. But the best action when faced with lunatic drivers is to BACK OFF and CALL POLICE AT ONCE. This may require a great deal of personal restraint!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Bet he had lived in NC for only a few years at most. The arrogance and impatience of newcomers are a great deal of the reason they receive less than friendly welcomes.
I don't buy that what-so-ever. Look I'm sure there are idiots everywhere, but everyone that is rude to you is not always from somewhere else. This guy had a run down car and his license plates were faded and old. I really don't think he was only here for a few years. Look. I'm not making this stuff up to stir the pot...I LOVE NC. I'm just saying that tailgating is more accepted here for some reason. Police will ticket you for this, but there is a severe shortage of troopers and poilce officers in general. Go to many other states and you will see many more cops doing traffic enforcement. Ever been to Cleveland, OH? There are cops running radar every mile on the interstate. When I was there...people simply did not speed (that I saw), because traffic laws are enforced. Around here they just don't have the number of availavle troopers/police to enforce all the foolishness that goes on out there. People in DC did crazy stuff too, but there was much more enforcement.

I'm just telling you what I see. A geater percentage of people in general drive faster here and tailgate more. I see it everyday twice a day riding on the Raleigh Beltline...did I see the same thing on the DC beltway...YES...but it was not 20-30% of the drivers. If I go 70 mph in a 60 mph zone I get passed constantly by cars on both sides of me going at least 20-25 mph over the speed limit when I'm in the middle lane. There is a guy that I see about 3 times a week that passes me going in excess of 100 mph...he obviously hasn't been stopped yet, or maybe he just has a death wish...I really don't know. Again I have not once in 1.5 years ever seen Raleigh police or any NC troopers run rader on the beltline. I have seen troopers run radar in Johnston county just east of Raleigh and when they do, they stay busy!

Last edited by Waterboy526; 11-04-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Waterboy, as retired law enforcement with concealed weapons permit, the last thing Bill would have done is shoot that crazed driver--out of concern for the safety of himself and others. If the "crazy" backs you into a corner, of course, and you're defending your life, that's a different scenario. But the best action when faced with lunatic drivers is to BACK OFF and CALL POLICE AT ONCE. This may require a great deal of personal restraint!
I know I backed off, but by the time I found my cell phone he was long gone and then I think he got off at some exit. I still should have called with a discription of the car (I know). Anyway I'm not saying I would start shooting at the guy (that's crazy), but if I had a tire blowout or had to stop and this guy stoped too...and I had my wife and kids in the car, you damn well better believe that he would be staring down the barrel of my gun if he tried to confront me and my family. I will not be intimidated by someone that tries to run me off the road.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep NC rude people free! View Post
Please!!! No more Californians. They have got to be some of the rudest people I have ever met! I have a neighbor from California who is a FREAK!! This guy moves into the neighborhood, doesn't talk to anyone and then goes around the nieghborhood taking pictures of everyone's license plates. He doesn't turn on his lights at night instead this freak uses a flashlight. Furthermore, he hangs his laundry out to dry. WTF!!! Then this jerk decided to yell at the kids in the neighborhood out playing in THEIR YARDS to "shut up and go play down in the street". That's when I went knocking on this jerk's door!!
He is just the latest of many of rude Californians I have met tarnishing our beautiful state. It seems that THEY are all SPECIAL and that the entire state should simply roll out the red carpet and coddle to their every need.
DO US ALL A FAVOR AND STAY IN CALI!!!!
And you base that ALL Calif. peeople are rude because of 1 neighbor??
Absolutly amazing and narrow minded if you ask me

Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You've got to be kidding me. Nowhere in his post did it say it was a newcomer. Thanks for the troll post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina