Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM

21 posts, read 86,806 times

Advertisements

Are there any Californians moving to North Carolina. I have read many threads about people moving from New York to North Carolina...anybody come from the west? We are moving to Monroe in five days and wondering if any California transplants may have words of wisdom for us.
What are the immediate adjustments? Other than weather and a better cost of living!! So far we have loved it when we came out. Its a beautiful state. In NC we get a bigger house with land...something we couldn't ever have in CA. In NC we have a pond in CA we had a small aquarium with goldfish. In NC we have lots of trees, in CA we had a tree lined street. Get back to me Californians with a heads ups on what else to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 08:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
California is the 7th largest source of newcomers to North Carolina.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 AM

196 posts, read 767,981 times
I need info on the quality of schools in Asheville NC Thank you

Old 01-06-2007, 06:13 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Are there any Californians moving to North Carolina. I have read many threads about people moving from New York to North Carolina...anybody come from the west? We are moving to Monroe in five days and wondering if any California transplants may have words of wisdom for us.
What are the immediate adjustments? Other than weather and a better cost of living!! So far we have loved it when we came out. Its a beautiful state. In NC we get a bigger house with land...something we couldn't ever have in CA. In NC we have a pond in CA we had a small aquarium with goldfish. In NC we have lots of trees, in CA we had a tree lined street. Get back to me Californians with a heads ups on what else to look for.
I was a born and raised in Calif. untill 6 months ago.
I dont think i have any words of wisdom because it sounds like you have a positive attitude already.Immediate adjustments -for me the change of weather because it was summer time. It did not bother me at all, and in fact because i came from the coastal area, i saw to many foggy,dreary days that i care to think about. I loved the warmth in the summer,being able to eat outside everynight,the brief showers of rain etc.
Bigger house, lots more bang for your buck slower pace of life, friendly people.
I think for us the biggest question people ask when they find out where you come from is "why"??Its hard to explain what has happened there and how hard it can be to get ahead.Lets not even talk about the immigration issue because untill you live in it, its nothing here compared to Calif.
Calif. will always be in my heart, i was born and raised there, all my friends and family are there( and thought i was nuts ) but i really like it here and it just a nice change of pace .
Heads up to look for-how the truckers drive on the interstate!OMG they dont have to stay in the right hand lane,they tale you, they are on both sides of you.The drivers here tale you like nobodys business. I dont understand it. Calif.is fast pace, here its slower but a lot people drive like their going to a fire!Get used to the produce spoiling fast. Nothing tastes fresh.Gee, i wonder why!!! Cant buy liquor in grocrey stores. Went to my first ABC store.Now thats different.But, i am not complaining by any means its just getting used to doing things a little different.Good luck, safe driving out here etc

Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 AM

127 posts, read 600,027 times
Things you may need to know...

If you order an iced tea, they may bring you sweet tea. And by sweet, I mean sweeeeeet.

A "carolina style" hotdog has slaw on it. Personally I havn't had the nerve to try one of them yet.

There are no In-N-Out's here.

When you're shopping, beware. People may talk to you!

If you look up at night, you'll see bright white dots. We call those stars. When I lived in california, we had 2 or 3 of them, but there's lots more out here.

If it's a hot, sunny summer day DO NOT KEEP YOUR CAR WINDOWS OPEN WHEN PARKED. It's tempting, to keep them open to keep the car cool but it WILL RAIN WITHOUT WARNING. In California it rains in the wintertime, and when it does rain it will rain all day. Out here, it'll be a nice sunny day without a cloud in the sky then all of a sudden BLAMMO! It'll rain like crazy for 20 minutes, it'll stop and the sun will come back out and everything will be as if nothing happened. Except for even more humidity.

If you want to buy liquor, you'll have to go to a special store called an ABC store. At firts I thought this would be a real drag. But I kind of like it because they all stock Pearl Vodka. In California you had to know what grocery stores or liquor stores had it, and half the time it wouldn't be in stock. BTW, you can't buy liquor on Sundays, and no beer before noon on Sundays. This is only a slight inconvinience when you want to do some Sunday early morning fishing.

Carolina style Bar-B-Que is vinegar based and is not like Texas style.

Cherry Limeaid and tater tots at Sonic Burger rule!

People out here seem really nice, but they don't like to hear about how much better such-n-such is back in California.

Many people out here go to Church. If you don't go to Church learn to live with the people who do. Telling people you don't belive in God will not make you many friends out here.

Many things out here cost less, but some things are actually a bit more expensive. A high end haircut will cost as much or more than in California. Some produce is more expensive. Some things are just more expensive because of the law of supply and demand. But most things will be less expensive.

If you're buying a larger house with any size property, be aware that there may be unexpected expenses sometimes. Things you typically won't have to deal with in California. It cost me $400 to get a tree cut down that was getting ready to fall on my house in the next ice storm.

We get ice storms here. It causes trees to fall (usally the tall pine trees) and the roads can get really slippery. You can't go forward. You can't go backward. You can only go sideways.

When driving BEWARE OF DEER. One jumped out in front of my wife, she hit it with the windshield and caused $7,000 worth of damage to her new car. She escaped unharmed, but it could have killed her.

We don't have any Fry's Elecronics stores here.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Carolina style Bar-B-Que is vinegar based and is not like Texas style.
That is Eastern Carolina bbq....Western Carolina bbq is different and has a tomatoe base.

Quote:
Cherry Limeaid and tater tots at Sonic Burger rule!
No Sonic's in CA? Didn't know that. Diet Cherry Limeaid rocks just as well as the regular.

Quote:
People out here seem really nice, but they don't like to hear about how much better such-n-such is back in California.
That it too true....it holds true for folks from all states, but I do find the CA folk to be...well....bless their hearts, they just do it more often.

Quote:
Many people out here go to Church. If you don't go to Church learn to live with the people who do. Telling people you don't belive in God will not make you many friends out here.
Can I get an Amen on this? LOL! Funny thing is though.....my new neighbors from CA are the ones that had the rudest hissy fit when they heard through 'the grapevine' (Fundie Baptist family two doors down...and the biggest snoops, gossips and hypocrites around) that we didnt go to church.

Funny thing is....I always seen their three rude children screaming around yard all Sunday morning....so I don't think they go either!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:15 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,602 times
There is now a Trader Joe's. It's in Cary, but they have not yet learned about stocking their shelves well since they are very popular. Still, the shelves look oftentimes empty. That'll be fixed soon, I hope.

Insurance. It is cheaper, but it kind of sucks how it's handled. If the other person is 98% at fault, and you are only 2%. Then, neither can recover a dime from the other party. And your rates will go up. I do prefer CA insurance, but it does cost a bit more. And, I think your rates will go up even after one ticket.

Home Insurance. Not that terribly different. Just, if you have a claim or a potential one, don't call up your insurance company and identify your home. Even a call with a concern could put a black mark on your policy. That, from an insider. Call anonymously. NC, if not all states, has a database for such things.

Haven't run into ice yet, but it's supposed to come. And, I do not look forward to it. I think drivers here are quite courteous with the exception to a few relative to the whole. Use your blinker, more often than not, you are allowed in to the lane. No lane hogging. However, there is a tendency for drivers to drive a bit slow at times. That's okay, unless you are on a one lane highway with someone driving 10mph below the limit. Although, if you are from L.A., even though drivers there are rude and aggressive, I think the driving skills there are better than what I've witnessed here. But I will take courteous any day over the aggressions of L.A. drivers.

People are embracing here, unless you meet a transplant. Even then, the transplant will often assimilate to the good nature of NC'rs. I've mellowed in only a few months. And, I love to chat, network, hang out and simply talk. People are good for that here.

Yes, Iced Tea is considered Sweet Tea here. But, when I ask for Iced Tea, I often get asked if I want regular or sweet. I am now a sweet tea lover. It is sweet. But tasty.

Milk costs more here. No two gallons for $4.00 prices here. It's about $3.50-$4.50 a gallon here. Unless you buy it at some of the gas station convenience stores... I've found it for $2.99 there.

Natural Gas is crazily more here. Our natural gas bill is tripled here. Although, we do use more of it here, it's outrageous. And PSNC is now making a minimum usage plan on their bill, even if you hardly use gas at all. I'm hoping for a class action on that one, and may start one myself. Poor people will be hardest hit by that plan. As if PSNC cares.

Getting contractors to work, and city services to show up can be more trying here. Slower pace I guess. The city of Durham takes their sweet time at addressing issues, if not forget entirely.

Lot's of natural places to visit. Outdoor areas are beautiful. People are wonderful. Housing prices are cheaper than CA, but then again, it depends on your job because it's all relative. My wife got a decrease in salary when she came here. Still good, but it lowered the price of the house we could afford.

Traffic. Nothing. Again, L.A. is a bear. This is a breeze. Though locals complain about it, traffic is like Los Angeles in the early 70's. Heavy in one direction for a few hours in the morn. The opposite at night. No biggie. And it moves well enough for me.

And, not once has anyone given me the finger. Oh, and when you are driving down the road and see an emergency vehicle on the shoulder. Get over to the next lane as quickly and safely as possible away from the shoulder. You can get a ticket for staying in that lane (of course, I think this law was enacted because patrol officers were being clipped by moving vehicles, I think it's unsafe for drivers to be forced into the next lane especially if there is traffic in that lane).

People do tailgate each other here. It's odd. But, I haven't seen anyone do it angrily. It's like they are drafting to save on gas mileage. I dunno. It's unsafe and irritates me, but I'm getting used to it, to a degree. Again, I don't see road rage when it happens. It's just a bad habit, I guess.

And gas prices are a bit cheaper than L.A.

Okay, I'll think of more shortly.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,456 times
Please!!! No more Californians. They have got to be some of the rudest people I have ever met! I have a neighbor from California who is a FREAK!! This guy moves into the neighborhood, doesn't talk to anyone and then goes around the nieghborhood taking pictures of everyone's license plates. He doesn't turn on his lights at night instead this freak uses a flashlight. Furthermore, he hangs his laundry out to dry. WTF!!! Then this jerk decided to yell at the kids in the neighborhood out playing in THEIR YARDS to "shut up and go play down in the street". That's when I went knocking on this jerk's door!!
He is just the latest of many of rude Californians I have met tarnishing our beautiful state. It seems that THEY are all SPECIAL and that the entire state should simply roll out the red carpet and coddle to their every need.
DO US ALL A FAVOR AND STAY IN CALI!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep NC rude people free! View Post
Please!!! No more Californians. They have got to be some of the rudest people I have ever met! I have a neighbor from California who is a FREAK!! This guy moves into the neighborhood, doesn't talk to anyone and then goes around the nieghborhood taking pictures of everyone's license plates. He doesn't turn on his lights at night instead this freak uses a flashlight. Furthermore, he hangs his laundry out to dry. WTF!!! Then this jerk decided to yell at the kids in the neighborhood out playing in THEIR YARDS to "shut up and go play down in the street". That's when I went knocking on this jerk's door!!
He is just the latest of many of rude Californians I have met tarnishing our beautiful state. It seems that THEY are all SPECIAL and that the entire state should simply roll out the red carpet and coddle to their every need.
Sorry you have me for a neighbor.

Too bad it's a free country and whereever we can buy in, we can move in. You probably say that about some other unprotected classes of people too. My gosh how rude!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep NC rude people free! View Post
The good thing is.....you won't find many other people with this kind of thinking!! We are all people, good and bad, from so many places. My husband and I are from CA, 9 months in NC now, and we get along great with our wonderful neighbors. Think about it----now who is sounding rude and thinks "they" are special?? I won't say anymore regarding this post. I understand being upset but it's so wrong to blame a whole state for one or two bad people. I can't add much more to what other posters have said about NC. I love it and I love the people. Never in my life have I felt so accepted. We have the BEST neighbors....and I've heard that over and over from so many people living here. So far I have found nothing to NOT like about NC. Yes, it does seem they "draft" behind you on the roads but I can surely deal with that after living in the CA. rat race. I lived my entire life in rural CA and my whole family is still living there. That might be the hardest thing to get use to. But with computers, telephones and airplanes they are never to far away!! Good luck and you will love it with your attitude!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina