Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Ann, I feel for you. But, let me tell you, as a single woman in her early 50's, life is not all peaches-and-cream either. You will miss the companionship, the fact that you can't get anything fixed...on and on...

I know that Oriental isn't a booming metropolis, but, maybe you can get involved with something there; going back to school is an option in addition to your work in the hotel. The point being, try to make the best of your situation. I know that you have tried to do that for a number of years, but, I am here to tell you, the single life is no picnic either. Certainly not being a single mother...a whole different story....I could go on, but, that would only be more depressing.

I know that you appear to be anti-religious, but, you should try to get involved in a non-denominational church. The support that you find there will be invaluable. You will not feel so alone, which seems to be your primary issue.

I hope that you can work this out. Please keep us informed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Yes I tend to agree with you. We came here from Sandwich MA but I don't have to be near the water, anywhere in New England or NY would do. We came here with 5 kids in '87 and then had 2 more. Those 2 are now 17 and 15, both girls. I was a stay at home mom until 3 years ago. Although I've been to college I didn't graduate as I couldn't decide what I wanted to be besides be a wife and mother, so I dropped out and got married. Dumb move. I'm digressing however, I work as the front desk person in a pretty little hotel in our town. Nice easy job but of course no money or benefits. Husband is 68 and has social security and medicare and does some work on the side fixing boats.(mechanical genius) He bought himself a 30 ft. sailboat when he retired to this town 5 years ago. He is very happy here. We have very little in common any more, maybe we never did. I am in my 50's and can't see how I could save the money I would need to move on my own, (at least 4,000) take the youngest child, find a sm. apt. pay the 1st, last and deposit as well as the deposits to get elec. turned on etc... and survive till I found a job. I have an old car, a '91 Olds Bravada. It runs well but how long will that last? (Yes I'm scared) With such little experience I know I can't expect to make very much money. Maybe one of you has some suggestions? Otherwise I wait till he dies. He only has $75,000 in ins. money but it would be enough to move, get newer car and health ins. and then some. I'm not wishing him dead, I do not hate this man. It's just that it seems to be my only option for getting out of the south. No I'm not planning a murder.
That's a jacked up situation, Ann. Hopefully you can work it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina