Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 AM

38 posts, read 155,939 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are attending a teacher recruitment day and the districts that are attending from North Carolina that caught my eye are Halifax County, Harnett County, Granville County, Hertford County, Iredell County, Johnston County, Union County, Montgomery County, Person County, and Lincoln County. Sorry about the long list, but I really dont know too much about NC. The list will become shorter if those schools arent hiring in my area. We are from an extremely rural part of NY and would prefer to move to another area that isn't completely urbanized. Another rural area is fine, as long as it's closer to a city. So, my questions are really, school quality, cost of living, and just some general comments on those areas.

Thanks a bunch

We are very open to just about anywhere, the schools districts we're looking at come from VA, MD, NC, and FL. We really just want to try something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
I was a teacher in Hillsborough County, FL (Tampa area) before relocating to NC and teaching for a year in Wake County (Raleigh area). Side by side, Wake beats FL hands down. Collaboration within the schools, as well as within the county, is excellent. As a math teacher, we had a county representative come monthly to our school for input and suggestions on the curriculum, which were then *gasp* actually implemented. Wake County has garnered national attention for using a color-blind, socio-economic model for school equality as well.

Johnston County borders Wake, and my clients researching the schools there have been very happy. I have had excellent feedback, and the area seems to meet the needs you specified: rural, laid back, yet within 30-40 minutes of downtown Raleigh. Johnston County also has not experienced the huge influx of people relocating there as Wake has (you can search the forum for the Wake County issues on growth - some mandatory year round conversions, a recent $970M bond issue, etc.) I only mention all of Wake's issues, because Johnston County borders Wake, and the two are often compared. Also, because of the close proximity, you may be able to get a job in Wake County and still live in Clayton or Johnston County with a pretty easy commute, depending on the school, so keep those options open.

www.wcpss.net
www.johnston.k12.nc.us
www.ncreportcards.com
www.greatschools.net

pm me if you'd like more info, and good luck with your decision!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:18 PM

161 posts, read 683,330 times
I agree that Johnston county deserves a good look. The medium income in this county is higher than most of the others and the new home explosion seems to be bringing in brand new schools and innovative methods to teach and be creative. To be a part of a growing school system can be so nice for your career. I am a realtor and two of my four current clients are looking there. The schools rank well and you can find such nice home communities. The shopping is plentiful yet you are far enough out of the hustle of Raleigh but close enough to enjoy the colleges, museums and some culture. If you want a relo package, just pm me. It would help to clarify the area and call any other realtors in the other areas you are interested in for the same kind of information. Good Luck- The South needs teachers, so many people are moving here from all over the country.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Of those counties, I'd look into Lincoln, Iredell (both near Charlotte), and Johnston (near Raleigh).

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Of those counties, I'd look into Lincoln, Iredell (both near Charlotte), and Johnston (near Raleigh).
AS USUAL, friendnc has beat me to the punch! These are exactly the two suggestions I was going to make

Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM

38 posts, read 155,939 times
Thanks everyone! I have only been to NC a few times when I was younger and so much has changed. There are about 30 different counties/school districts we are looking at in 4 different states. Trying to figure out what is what before the job fair next week. Just looking for general information on the areas.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazejoshua View Post
My wife and I are attending a teacher recruitment day and the districts that are attending from North Carolina that caught my eye are Halifax County, Harnett County, Granville County, Hertford County, Iredell County, Johnston County, Union County, Montgomery County, Person County, and Lincoln County. Sorry about the long list, but I really dont know too much about NC. The list will become shorter if those schools arent hiring in my area. We are from an extremely rural part of NY and would prefer to move to another area that isn't completely urbanized. Another rural area is fine, as long as it's closer to a city. So, my questions are really, school quality, cost of living, and just some general comments on those areas.

Thanks a bunch

We are very open to just about anywhere, the schools districts we're looking at come from VA, MD, NC, and FL. We really just want to try something different.
I live in Union county - just outside of Charlotte in a town called Waxhaw. check out www.waxhaw.com. I grew up in FL but was born in NY - lived in Farmington, NY as a kid. Our county is growing - with that comes the issues of traffic, schools are good here (for the most part) and we have all the benefits of being near a bigcity like Charlotte without many of the disadvantages. My sister and brother in law are teachers in Charlotte (www.cms.com) and also live in Union Co. They chose the cms school system because the pay is higher. If you choose this you should consider school in the southern part of the county (anything in the Ballantyne area).

Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,470 times
I am a new teacher (as of graduation next month) and will be moving from NY to NC. I am have lived my entire 22 years in upsate NY. Anything I need to know as I move south?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeChristine View Post
I am a new teacher (as of graduation next month) and will be moving from NY to NC. I am have lived my entire 22 years in upsate NY. Anything I need to know as I move south?
I would suggest you start with a job in one of the smaller school districts. You will get more peer mentoring that way as you develop your teaching style. As a novice you should not apply to Charlotte/Mecklenburg schools. We have need of teachers, but really need the most experienced we can get because some of our inner city schools can be challenging. If you are interested in the Charlotte area look into Cabarrus County Schools - a great small system. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina