Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Not going to happen. It will be a statewide ban or nothing. The state legislature will not allow local governments to act on their own.
You are absolutely right on this! If the House doesn't have the stomach to do what they need to do, then they should at least lift the ban that now prevents municipalities from enacting their own laws. I wish Charlotte/Mecklenburg all the luck on this issue. Because, if they are successful, you can bet that many other cities and counties will follow suit.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
The Democrats don't need any Republican support for passage here, assuming they vote as a block. Unlike the Democrats, the Republicans cannot pass any legislation on their own in NC.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:01 AM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
well I hope that the democrats get with the times and vote to ban smoking in restaurants. It was a shock when I moved here, and we look for restaurants that do not allow it. I have 2 children that don't need encouragement for an asthma attack.

I don't think its really a big deal, plenty of states have done it, and all the complaining was done and then people adapted. Its a kind community that can make that step for that their fellow man.

and topped with new taxes is a perfect time to start a new hobby

Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I'm kind of caught in the middle on this one. While I don't smoke and I love going into establishments that do not permit smoking, I do think that owners of "private" restaurants should be allowed to make that decision for themselves. I guess the conservative part of me thinks that what other kinds of laws will this lead to that will strike down more personal freedom?

In the back of my head I'm like..."heck yeah", but at the same time this could have farther reaching complications.

I also don't believe in "sin taxes". Just because it might not be popular, Drinking and Smoking in this country is legal. Think about if our legislators put excessive taxes on everything they deem unpopular? I just don't know what kind of prescient this will set for the future.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
I would also like to see alcohol banned from bars and restaurants. Drinking is the cause of too many fatal accidents.

I'm all for choice. If a restaurant allows smoking...don't eat/work there.
If you're a smoker and the restaurant doesn't allow smoking...don't eat/work there.
Simple.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 AM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
It says businesses but really only speaks about restaurants. My wife just started a new job last week at a business in Raleigh and the owner smokes in the building and she can't stand it (to the point where she's already looking for a new job). How would this effect her? Would he have to quit smoking in the office? The notion of "you don't have to work/eat there" is ridiculous, especially in this economy.

I was living in Florida when this type of bill passed there, and I was a smoker at the time. I was annoyed for all of a week, and then I got over it. It's not that big of a deal to smoke before/after entering the restaurant. Most of the time I was with non-smokers that preferred I didn't smoke in the restaurant anyways.

Florida also has a similar concession in regards to bars, however it's determined by the size of the kitchen. If a kitchen was over a certain size, then smoking was prohibited. I knew many bars that decided to shrink their kitchen and menu so their patrons could still smoke. They weren't thrilled, but I really don't recall too much backlash.

I understand that this state was built on tobacco, but really, a lot has changed since then in regards to how the country as a whole views smoking and the health related risks.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 AM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
I believe sin taxes have something to do with Medicare for the health during your elderly years, and it is safe to assume that these "sins" are unhealthy and will require more medicare services. Someone has to pay for it

Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kidsmama View Post
well I hope that the democrats get with the times and vote to ban smoking in restaurants. It was a shock when I moved here, and we look for restaurants that do not allow it. I have 2 children that don't need encouragement for an asthma attack.

I don't think its really a big deal, plenty of states have done it, and all the complaining was done and then people adapted. Its a kind community that can make that step for that their fellow man.

and topped with new taxes is a perfect time to start a new hobby

the whole thing about "it's someone's private choice" is BS. it's like saying you can urinate at people or have sex in front of people, and they can choose to move out of the way or go home. there's no benefit to smoking around people, there are many drawbacks, and if the representatives of the community (the state/local govt) wants to make this harder to do, then good. that's part of living in society. the people who are making the choice to smoke should be the ones who have to "not work there" or "not eat there" or "go somewhere else," not the people who are just trying to mind their own business and live their lives.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
I would also like to see alcohol banned from bars and restaurants. Drinking is the cause of too many fatal accidents.

I'm all for choice. If a restaurant allows smoking...don't eat/work there.
If you're a smoker and the restaurant doesn't allow smoking...don't eat/work there.
Simple.
It would be nice if it were that simple. Say (especially in this economy) your employer allowed smoking everywhere would you stay or would you risk not being able to find another job and, maybe, not support your family. This question is about the greater good - no one (except maybe smokers) wants to be in a smokey atmosphere and be smelling of stale smoke. The threat to health is too great .
Smoking is a bad habit that directly affects others unlike poor diet or alcohol abuse. I've worked in offices when you couldn't see the other side of the room for smoke - did I have the option of leaving -well I guess so but it was my job, my career then and I'd like to think that we are a little more forward thinking nowadays. Look at other major countries that have embraced the no smoking policy - if they can do it then so can we

Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,769 times
Quote:
Also call if you think pregnant women trying to put themselves through school should be able to work without poisoning their baby before it is born.
HAHAHHHA!!!! Work someplace else. They have no obligation to work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina