Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

I was involved in a fender bender this afternoon in which I was at fault. This is my first ever at fault accident or claim after 14 years with my insurance company (USAA). I'm a bit upset by this because I was being careless. I was a police officer for 4 years and I graduated #1 in my class in defensive driving tactics, so that just makes me more upset that I made this careless mistake. Anyway, USAA offers accident forgiveness if you haven't had any claims for at least 5 years. The problem is that NC is one of the 4 states that is not covered under the accident forgiveness policy.

Does anyone have any experience with being the at fault party in a fender bender in NC and having your insurance rates go up even if you've been a great driver for years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I have usaa and have been at fault b4, I hardly noticed an insurance change. It was small enough that I can't even give u an accurate gauge of the increase. It won't be anything to worry about.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 PM

80 posts, read 270,565 times
My 16 yr old had an accident last month which was her fault too. Our insurance agent told us that the first accident it really doesn't go up much. With you being older, I bet it won't go up at all--now if you have another claim, its anyones guess. Have your insurance agent give you a letter saying that everything was paid and if you have a ticket from the accident, it will be waived.
Don't be so hard on yourself, even the best drivers can have fender benders at times! Glad no one was hurt!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 46,636 times
In NC, if you are involved in a MVC, you are assessed incident points on your insurance, whether you are at fault or not. At your age and years driving, I doubt it will go up too much. USAA is relatively stable with rates.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not upset about it...lol. I'm just pissed that I have $500 to pay and a possible rate increase. I'm 32 and have been using USAA since I was 18, so hopefully the rates will stay the same.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous that NC assesses "incident points". Why would they give a crap about what should be between me, the other driver, and my insurance company.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
Today I was involve in an incident and it was my fault. I have no license to what will happen to me or the owner of the car and what will insurance do?

Old 12-26-2014, 07:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel avila View Post
Today I was involve in an incident and it was my fault. I have no license to what will happen to me or the owner of the car and what will insurance do?
The owner of the car will have to use their uninsured-underinsured motorist coverage and their insurance agency will attempt to collect that money back from you.

It is illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle in NC. It's also illegal to drive without a license.

So, you have no license AND no insurance? Or, is it just the license you lack?

Why were you driving a car?

If you have insurance and no license, your insurance should pay for damages, but it'll probably get cancelled because you have no license and were driving.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
It's near impossible to understand car insurance logic. A friend got in a small fender bender and saw no insurance increase. My mom was involved in a single car accident, but there was a lot of damage. Her insurance did not increase either.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:33 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I have had USAA for 40+ years. I have worked in the biz for 10+.

I would take EXTREME MEASURES not to file a claim. Extreme. Pay out of pocket if at all possible. Even with "accident forgiveness" you don't know what will happen tomorrow.

Save the claim for something that you cannot possibly handle. Pay up.

I was referring to the initial poster. The guy with no license, you are screwed....as well you should be!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:51 PM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why were you driving a car?
I'm going to take a giant leap based on the poster's name (sorry if I'm mistaken), but a common situation these days is that a driver cannot get a license because they are in the country illegally.

The state/country isn't going to deport someone that's here illegally and not a violent or dangerous criminal. So, they're here, they're working, and have to get back and forth to their job. They really have little choice but to drive without a license. Well, I guess the other choice would be to leave the country, but the person already decided that being here illegally is a better option than staying in their home country.

Insurance is tied to the vehicle (not the driver), so the vehicle may still be legally registered and insured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina