Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 28,669 times

Advertisements

JDLJR, I apologize for a double post but wanted your take on this:
Just today,got a new letter of Monetary Determination,.
It says Revision "Second tier EUC"

- Max benefit amount: $415 , Weekly Amount:$494
I do not understand this one ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdad1 View Post
JDLJR, I apologize for a double post but wanted your take on this:
Just today,got a new letter of Monetary Determination,.
It says Revision "Second tier EUC"
- Max benefit amount: $415 , Weekly Amount:$494
I do not understand this one ??
The only thing I can think of is that the $415 is your "14th week" of Tier 2 and that's the only Tier 2 money you have left. You may be receiving Tier 3 now, then you'd receive this "14th week" payment before moving into Tier 4. I can't remember what tier you're currently in or just started or ended. The "14th week" is not a full payment, just a percentage of a week. I am not certain, but you may have been one who received your "14th week" at the end of your regular Tier 2 while waiting to get into Tier 3, but because the "14th week" is technically supposed to be paid AFTER Tier 3, when the EUC legislation was signed you went into Tier 3 and the week that you had received payment for the "14th week" was reverted to Tier 3 and, therefore, meant that your "14th week" is as if you've never yet received it. Confusing I know and I prolly lost ya, but that's my best guess.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM

16 posts, read 28,669 times
Default I think your correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
The only thing I can think of is that the $415 is your "14th week" of Tier 2 and that's the only Tier 2 money you have left. You may be receiving Tier 3 now, then you'd receive this "14th week" payment before moving into Tier 4. I can't remember what tier you're currently in or just started or ended. The "14th week" is not a full payment, just a percentage of a week. I am not certain, but you may have been one who received your "14th week" at the end of your regular Tier 2 while waiting to get into Tier 3, but because the "14th week" is technically supposed to be paid AFTER Tier 3, when the EUC legislation was signed you went into Tier 3 and the week that you had received payment for the "14th week" was reverted to Tier 3 and, therefore, meant that your "14th week" is as if you've never yet received it. Confusing I know and I prolly lost ya, but that's my best guess.

I do remember when last tier ended I was waiting for the 14th week money so I called Raleigh . A woman said that while I still had almost a full week left ( so the $415 makes sense), that I had to wait 1 week without money until my next tier started ( the 13 weeks I last got) and then I would get that last week 14 from before...then the next extension.
Your right though, it is very confusing and very stressful. I really appreciate your help and the others who have responded.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 AM

23 posts, read 101,192 times
Just wondering... I was just on another website and they were talking about the federal bill that was just introduced that would give states with high unemp. rates 20 weeks of Tier V benefits. I just got my last EB retro payment from the state of NC (out of state claim) and am now out of benefits and unable to certify each week. Is there anything I should be doing except keep work search records to be eligible for these benefits in the future? I am working now but making less than I was on UI. Thanks! P.S. I also read that IF this bill passes it will NOT be retroactive.

Last edited by sfhamm; 08-07-2010 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM

56 posts, read 76,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
No she's not correct.
You get an earnings allowance and anything over that amt. gets deducted from your weekly benefit amt.
Example: if you have an allowance of $120.00 weekly, your GROSS amt you made that week was $220.00, then they'll deduct the $100.00 difference from your weekly benfit amt.
Anything under the $120.00 allowance won't be deducted and you'll get your same weekly benefit amt.
I've worked some part time hrs here and there and this has been what always happens everytime when I get paid
Just remember to claim your gross amt. you'll make that week, because when the employer turns in the payroll quarterly, it needs to match exactly what you claimed, or you'll be charged an Overpayment and can risk losing benefits ect...
Thanks! I didn't think she was correct about the PT job. :-)

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tena1028 View Post
Thanks! I didn't think she was correct about the PT job. :-)
Yep,
I'm 100% positively~positive
Goodluck with the part time job!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM

13 posts, read 23,808 times
Default so what's the deal with the extended benefits and having a previous dq

though they have told me that my unemployment started with an 8 week disqualification period, and I have recieved all 3 tiers of unemployment....and with the fed's putting half into the extended benefits, why do esc deny the entire 20 weeks of extended benefits even though my new claim started in april of this year too? You would think that they would at most deny me 8 of the 20 weeks of extended benefits but they keep saying claim accepted but unable to process for payment due to a previous disqualification....

Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherluv View Post
though they have told me that my unemployment started with an 8 week disqualification period, and I have recieved all 3 tiers of unemployment....and with the fed's putting half into the extended benefits, why do esc deny the entire 20 weeks of extended benefits even though my new claim started in april of this year too? You would think that they would at most deny me 8 of the 20 weeks of extended benefits but they keep saying claim accepted but unable to process for payment due to a previous disqualification....
I don't know why the rules are what they are. But I will say that if the EB is based off the benefit year that your disqualification occurred, then that's when folks are ineligible for it, either in that year or to have it pulled forward to a new year. But if you start a 2nd benefit year and qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then you would be eligible for EB in that 2nd benefit year because you monetarily qualified for EB in that year, as long as you didn't have a disqualification for a separation issue IN that 2nd benefit year.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhamm View Post
Just wondering... I was just on another website and they were talking about the federal bill that was just introduced that would give states with high unemp. rates 20 weeks of Tier V benefits. I just got my last EB retro payment from the state of NC (out of state claim) and am now out of benefits and unable to certify each week. Is there anything I should be doing except keep work search records to be eligible for these benefits in the future? I am working now but making less than I was on UI. Thanks! P.S. I also read that IF this bill passes it will NOT be retroactive.
You really only have to have work search records for any weeks that you are claiming unemployment benefits. If the bill will not be retroactive then you wouldn't have to provide any records, but things can change and who knows...they may make it retroactive. So probably best to keep track. If you're looking for work anyway, keep track. If you're not looking for work then I wouldn't worry about it because you wouldn't be eligible for those weeks that you're not searching for work anyway.

Incidentally I had not heard of this legislation, thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 AM

131 posts, read 232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
You really only have to have work search records for any weeks that you are claiming unemployment benefits. If the bill will not be retroactive then you wouldn't have to provide any records, but things can change and who knows...they may make it retroactive. So probably best to keep track. If you're looking for work anyway, keep track. If you're not looking for work then I wouldn't worry about it because you wouldn't be eligible for those weeks that you're not searching for work anyway.

Incidentally I had not heard of this legislation, thanks for the heads up!
Yes, a new bill has been introduced for a Tier 5 giving 20 additional weeks. They are trying to get it to a vote before the break later this month, but it looks doubtful...but, I read it may include a provision to pay for it using unused stimulus $$ which Repubs would agree to but Dems maybe not b/c they say it is earmarked to pay down the deficit, so who knows. It seems to be gaining support so I think it will inevitablly happen, but when is anyone's guess. If not passed before the break, and Pelosi doesn't extend the session to get it handled, it will be Oct. b4 another vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina