Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 AM

572 posts, read 1,612,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
You have some valid points, but acting like the unemployed are waiting for money to grow on trees is the wrong attitude, and its a LARGE falsehood. People on unemployment pay taxes out of their unemployment checks(10% fed 5%state) re-contributing to the system that was put their as a safety net for them. Some of them worked 25 years, some 5, but unemployment insurance was PUT to help stabilize families,and Americans in times of need. ** The unemployment rate is at its highest rate in the history of our country. We have no short or long term goals to mobilize any industry, and we are on the verge of what looks like hyperinflation of the U.S. dollar(I could take two pages to explain it, or you could look it up).

Things(politics) are the SAME in a country that is changing:

Democrats are still clinging to "entitlement programs" with no talk of real cost cutting, though the current system is clearly unaffordable. Republicans pretend the U.S. is on the brink of losing the world's trust, but they don't really believe that. *** If they did, they would not play politics with the vote to raise the country's debt ceiling; they would also agree to raise taxes or just repeal the Bush-era tax cuts.

I get what your saying, and I'm not trying to put you down, your right in many ways.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm just worried.
Just sayin. I think a balanced budget with EB extensions makes since. Both can be done. It's not popular but it's practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 AM

244 posts, read 311,680 times
Unemployed state residents make plea to lawmakers | residents, state, lawmakers - Burlington Times News (http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/residents-43534-state-lawmakers.html - broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM

43 posts, read 56,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Are you rejoining us to talk the politics or negotiate a settlement? Unless I'm incorrect you have not been supportive of the idea of EB and have used this thread mostly to state so.

"You guys crack me up. You had TWO YEARS to relocate, down size your lifestyle to conform with whatever employment you could find, go back to school, start a business, join the military, ect, ect. Quit whining and go find a job, any job. And if it doesn't pay all the bills then work two jobs. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking some kind of job in two years and don't even start with that "I cant find a good job" crap. After two years you lost that luxury"

Thank You, GCharlotte for your comment back to these kind of posts.

I wonder sometimes how many of the folks (who make such flippant comments (here, in the media, and even our own governement) would utterly change their tune if it were they on the receiving end? (And, downsize their housing, in this market!? Tried it, what a joke! As for retraining - ever try to do that with 3 kids to support and a spouse who's a homemaker and hasn't been able to find a job either? I'm overqualified for what I do apply for and education - my degree area - is bleeding employees as bad as everyone else! The comment I get is "Don't even send the resume, we're not looking at anything, even positions that exist now and become vacant." BTW - retraining money got cut in all this too! We won't get the level of help we were promised this semester because WIA is out of funding here at the end of their fiscal year too. Taking out a loan adds insult to injury in this situation. So, no income either way. Find a job indeed - when 400 people show up to apply for 2 jobs at McDonald's?)

Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

249 posts, read 305,247 times
Default Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
Oooooohhh! I can feel the frigid air flowing as we speak.
I'm being serious and not trying to be ugly here. A Repubican Representative suggested this. A compromise is in order and instead of the fingerpointing on both sides, they just need to sit together like adults and come up with a solution.

I am serious about writing Perdue, Nesbitt, Tillis, Berger and Hackney requesting they put politics aside and work TOGETHER to come up with a solution asap. Again, we can't stop the communications with them.

Last edited by Holwager; 04-28-2011 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: typo and addition

Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 8,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
It's called leverage. Think about it. You want extended benefits and I want my taxes reduced and the budget balanced. You agree to a balanced budget and I extend your benefits.

Win, win. That's how politics works. A balanced state budget helps the economy which might get you employed and a job solves your problem permanently does it not?
I disagree. If unemployment extended benefits are never restored is the State budget balanced? NO! They are unrelated events. Legislators are elected to do just that. To negoiate and to compromise. This does not include using good hardworking CITIZENS as a tool in that process. This is wrong. Citizens of NC deserve to receive all benefits afforded to those in other states.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM

43 posts, read 56,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
I'm being serious and not trying to be ugly here. A Repubican Representative suggested this. A compromise is in order and instead of the fingerpointing on both sides, they just need to sit together like adults and come up with a solution.

I am serious about writing Perdue, Nesbitt, Tillis, Berger and Hackney requesting they put politics aside and work TOGETHER to come up with a solution asap. Again, we can't stop the communications with them.

Sorry, Holwager. I didn't think you were trying to be ugly. I was being ugly - I just don't see Tillis and a few others compromising. Perdue doesn't seem to want to either - as evidenced by her silence on the issue. I wish they would communicate, then something, maybe several things, would begin to move. I just think they've dug their heels in for the wrong reasons. I mean, Tillis keeps repeating his same mantra, even in the face of real people swallowing pride and begging! Me included.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 AM

174 posts, read 314,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post

I have not received ONE SINGLE REPLY from either of those names and I have emailed them all about 4 or 5 times. The problem is this. For every email or call that they receive asking for them to do something other than what they are doing , they are receiving other emails and calls saying "GREAT JOB".

You know the republicans are getting other NON-unemployed republicans emailing them saying,"great job stick it to those democrats, those people need to get a job anyway." And Governer Purdue is receiving ccalls and emails saying," great Job on standing up to the GOP, hold your ground."

Any psychiatrist or counselor would tell you, that this mentality is the worse kind of mentality when it comes to accomplishing things. Blaming others and WAITING for the otherside to conceed only causes resentment and makes the divide even wider. We have a system in place where the norm is to cause damage to society and governmental relationship first and compromise second.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

249 posts, read 305,247 times
I agree with both Wtngpatiently and Dazeja. I have gotten some feedback from inside the legislature that both sides are getting frustrated with the results of this "standoff" to see if the other side will cave in and back down in defeat. Neither side is going to give up 100% and I think they now realize that compromise is in order.

If 4 Democrats cross to override the veto it can happen very quickly. Otherwise we are probably looking at another week or two to come up with a solution that meets in the middle of the veto override or the clean bill being passed.

Either way, it appears that something will happen within a couple weeks tops.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of sending correspondence though. Just because you may not get a reply, that doesn't mean that your voice isn't being heard.

Keep at it everyone.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 8,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
It's called leverage. Think about it. You want extended benefits and I want my taxes reduced and the budget balanced. You agree to a balanced budget and I extend your benefits.

Win, win. That's how politics works. A balanced state budget helps the economy which might get you employed and a job solves your problem permanently does it not?
I disagree. If unemployment extended benefits are never restored is the State budget balanced? NO! They are unrelated events. Legislators are elected to do just that. To negoiate and to compromise. This does not include using good hardworking CITIZENS as a tool in that process. This is wrong. Citizens of NC deserve to receive all benefits afforded to those in other states.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 AM

169 posts, read 315,146 times
Default It will happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerRepublican View Post
It seems like it has been an eternity, because we have been monitoring this forum so closely. It will happen. In this instance compromise is inextricably intertwined with egos and agendas.

Both parties have been dogging each-other pretty bad. We know whats going to happen though. Unemployment EB extension would not be such a hotly contested issue if it was going to just die and fall off the map.

It is important, and the situation will be rectified. In fact, I am leaving the forum for a little bit. I have been stressed out and I need to just RELAX. The more posts I read..by certain people who don't REALIZE that overarching politics and the trends inherent in them have everything to do with whats happening now, the more frustrated I get. I am obsessed with the stagnancy of this debate, and I need a decisive break.

Holwager and I talked politics, but then quickly saw eachothers side and compromised. That is what communication is all about, a compromise and an exchange.

Lets hope our state government can be as mature as two people that don't know each-other on a chat forum. These representatives see each-other every day and they can't get it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina