Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM

187 posts, read 259,263 times

Advertisements

I hear all of you and support you all the way. We are all under a lot of stress and venting in different ways. One thing I will quote from our member wtngpatiently, "I think we are at the point where only prayer will help (and if you don't believe that, that's your opinion, but don't send me nasty grams, please.):"
Let's all stop and think about this for a second. Take a couple minutes, relax and clear our minds, and do what wtngpatiently says, say a prayer. It will surely make us feel better tonight. Tomorrow is another day. There is much to be accomplished. Our EB extension issue is surely going to have a positive end amid this commotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM

43 posts, read 56,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
Let's all write Gov. Perdue, Nesbitt, Tillis, Berger and Hackney and ask the five of them to block off some time to sit in a room together and hash out a budget that will be a compromise but "liveable" for both parties. But, of course, ask them to pass a clean bill to extend EB first.

Oooooohhh! I can feel the frigid air flowing as we speak.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
Why would I negatively comment on a political group that has attached a political state budget agenda to a bill to help the unemployed(that is 100% federally funded might I add)? Right on the last day that unemployment for 40k people runs out. That's really ethical, and fiscally responsible.

Thats not the scummiest, greasiest possible political maneuver ever......no....

I could on and on and on...but this isn't about "hating Republicans", this is about right and wrong. This is about people. This isn't about budgets. It's about our neighbors who can no longer support themselves because the economy is in complete disarray.

Get a clue, and also educate yourself in the tenets of responsibility. Maybe you could look it up in the dictionary, then figure out if what the republicans did was "responsible"

This is about justice for the dislocated worker and the republicans have MADE this about their personal agenda.

So, go ahead wave your NC republican flag loud and proud. BUT FIRST, maybe you should learn your facts.
I never claimed unemployment benefits were funded by the state but the fact remains that the state budget is NOT balanced and the republicans are trying to at least cut the deficit. The state and federal governments are bleeding money and the higher the deficit gets the worse the economy gets. If your plight is as bad as you claim then how about calling the governor and have her cut some park money or maybe cut a library budget. Nobody is gonna go hungry if a state park closes for a month or two. I mean this is either an emergency or it's not. You're operating under the assumption that the state government can't extend EB AND balance the budget. My god I'm already paying an 8% sales tax.

And those federal tax dollars that fund EB don't pop out of thin air. They have to be funded by citizens who pay taxes. There's no magic money tree in Raleigh or Washington DC

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerRepublican View Post
How does holding up federally funded unemployment benefits for NC unemployed help to balance the NC budget?
It's called leverage. Think about it. You want extended benefits and I want my taxes reduced and the budget balanced. You agree to a balanced budget and I extend your benefits.

Win, win. That's how politics works. A balanced state budget helps the economy which might get you employed and a job solves your problem permanently does it not?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM

86 posts, read 155,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
It's 9 weeks to the end of the budget! Looking more like who can hold out the longest. I will be ok will a lump sum check the 1st week in July, I hope the rest of you can hold on,

I won't receive a "LUMP SUM" check. I will only get my normal amount starting the day they decide to be adults and pass a bill. Bill collectors are not going to wait 9 weeks for their payment. I will definitely be homelsee by then unless of course any employer other than scam artists contact me for a job.

All of this makes me so ANGRY, I want to cry. I can't sleep and I hate going outside because I see people just living their lives without a care, meanwhile my life is literally in someone elses hands. I don't see why ANYONE would think that we would rather be in this situation than work to make our money.

I would give my right arm to work at Mcdonalds instead of having to deal with this. This is the third time this has happened to us.

My only family member is in Sweden. I may seriously have to sell the last thing I have to get a flight there. There are no jobs there either but at least the political situation is better.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM

86 posts, read 155,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
It's called leverage. Think about it. You want extended benefits and I want my taxes reduced and the budget balanced. You agree to a balanced budget and I extend your benefits.

Win, win. That's how politics works. A balanced state budget helps the economy which might get you employed and a job solves your problem permanently does it not?

I'm sorry but I have to agree .

What's wrong with at least talking about a compromise? If a 13% cut is bad,,, what about 7% and a tax increase. Or 5% is one area and 10% in others and no tax increase.

The EB bill shouldn't be attached to it at all but WHY NOT at least talk about both of them in the same session.

JUST TALK instead of finger pointing!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanahB View Post
I'm sorry but I have to agree .

What's wrong with at least talking about a compromise? If a 13% cut is bad,,, what about 7% and a tax increase. Or 5% is one area and 10% in others and no tax increase.

The EB bill shouldn't be attached to it at all but WHY NOT at least talk about both of them in the same session.

JUST TALK instead of finger pointing!
Well if you and I were running the state we'd probably have an agreement and this problem would be solved.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 PM

43 posts, read 56,705 times
It's politics, people. Both sides think they are right and neither side wants to give. They are being more stubborn than a bunch of preschool kids. I agree with the budget issue, but please, tie something else to it or hash it out the old fashioned way. If you can fix something easily, then fix it and move on to the next thing.

No, the Federal money does not just appear. However, as a taxpaying citizen (and they do take it out of unemployment money) I would like a shot at American money. As I've said before, it's been appropriated already and rolled into the deficit. If we don't use it, someone else will get it. Usually some foreign country for something that seems good on the surface, but is just as corrupt a system as any we have (IE - lost stimulus money, bailout money used for everything but bailout, etc.). How about not sending billions to every country that thinks we are the First International Bank of the World and then letting them misuse it and default on repayment (oh, wait, we never expected them to pay in the first place!). How about trying to fix the problems that exist at home with some of that $$? Like maybe our economy? NC is not alone in this problem with budgetting.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM

169 posts, read 314,975 times
Default "The ole' magic money tree"

You have some valid points, but acting like the unemployed are waiting for money to grow on trees is the wrong attitude, and its a LARGE falsehood. People on unemployment pay taxes out of their unemployment checks(10% fed 5%state) re-contributing to the system that was put their as a safety net for them. Some of them worked 25 years, some 5, but unemployment insurance was PUT to help stabilize families,and Americans in times of need. ** The unemployment rate is at its highest rate in the history of our country. We have no short or long term goals to mobilize any industry, and we are on the verge of what looks like hyperinflation of the U.S. dollar(I could take two pages to explain it, or you could look it up).

Things(politics) are the SAME in a country that is changing:

Democrats are still clinging to "entitlement programs" with no talk of real cost cutting, though the current system is clearly unaffordable. Republicans pretend the U.S. is on the brink of losing the world's trust, but they don't really believe that. *** If they did, they would not play politics with the vote to raise the country's debt ceiling; they would also agree to raise taxes or just repeal the Bush-era tax cuts.

I get what your saying, and I'm not trying to put you down, your right in many ways.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm just worried.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post

Are you rejoining us to talk the politics or negotiate a settlement? Unless I'm incorrect you have not been supportive of the idea of EB and have used this thread mostly to state so.

"You guys crack me up. You had TWO YEARS to relocate, down size your lifestyle to conform with whatever employment you could find, go back to school, start a business, join the military, ect, ect. Quit whining and go find a job, any job. And if it doesn't pay all the bills then work two jobs. There is absolutely no excuse for not taking some kind of job in two years and don't even start with that "I cant find a good job" crap. After two years you lost that luxury"

Last edited by GCharlotte; 04-28-2011 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Toning it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina