Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM

134 posts, read 172,729 times

Advertisements

Just received letter in the mail from Richard Burr. Said he shares my concerns, but it was up to the Governor of NC and the legislators to handle the situation, and to continue to contact them. At least I received a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM

122 posts, read 161,337 times
I don't have any $$ to put gas in my car to apply in person, since my EB has been cut off. I would rather eat than buy gas

Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I know, I had to sell my car to pay bills. Now I borrow a car once a week for job search and any other errands that I have. Luckily my dad let's me use his car and he puts the gas in for me. I feel so bad, since he is terminally ill and has to worry about his grown ass daughter.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 PM

187 posts, read 259,235 times
To make this clarification here people, the work search requirements for EB are 2 contacts each week with two potential employers. The acceptable methods of application are either In Person, Thru The Internet, Or if applicable, Thru The Telephone. These are the facts from EB. If you apply via the internet, that is acceptable. Please do not get misinformed and start to panic for no reason. Continue apply and keep your records up to date.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM

I am looking at my work search form that I was given while at the ESC, it states-acceptable work search effort as 2 in person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. Now this is for Extended Benefits and may be different from prior tiers of unemployment.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 PM

169 posts, read 314,953 times
Default It is NOT two in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy terry View Post
I am looking at my work search form that I was given while at the ESC, it states-acceptable work search effort as 2 in person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. Now this is for Extended Benefits and may be different from prior tiers of unemployment.

Through careerbuilder.com or monster.com is acceptable, as long as you obtain the phone number, and correct address of the employer and list them on your search sheet. Because most jobs do not take applications in person(for shear volume reasons and corporate structure) the internet is accepted as a search for work.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks for letting me know, I have been following the statement on this form for several weeks now. I will make sure to ask anyway when I go in next. I tried scan to form but my printer is acting up.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:13 PM

249 posts, read 304,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
My understanding is the 13 week delay results from the trigger on/off and whether the UB lookback is enacted. If the rate falls below the allowed percentage and remains below the percentage then, yes. There would be a 13 week delay before EB could be reinstated. As it stands for NC, there is no UB lookback enacted at this point. If it is enacted we would be eligible for retro benefits for those currently receiving EB immediately upon passage. Although this only applies to those who were currently receiving EB.
My understanding is the same that Laidoffafter50 just posted. My concern is the lack of retroactive payments for those of us that were not on EB when it was cut off. I got my last payment on tier 4 on the week of April 16th so I will be at least 4 payments missed (assuming they do something this week) that I will never recover and the NC economy will never see.

I'm trying not to put the cart in front of the horse but it appears my next fight after getting EB reinstated will be trying to get retroactive payments for those of us that fell into that crack (and a deep crack at that!)

Old 05-07-2011, 02:18 PM

169 posts, read 314,953 times
Default Hopefully that will be a smooth process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
My understanding is the same that Laidoffafter50 just posted. My concern is the lack of retroactive payments for those of us that were not on EB when it was cut off. I got my last payment on tier 4 on the week of April 16th so I will be at least 4 payments missed (assuming they do something this week) that I will never recover and the NC economy will never see.

I'm trying not to put the cart in front of the horse but it appears my next fight after getting EB reinstated will be trying to get retroactive payments for those of us that fell into that crack (and a deep crack at that!)
Hopefully it will not be challenging getting your retro payments. This lapse in payments is not your fault, it is the negligence of the state.

Lets take one step at a time...reinstatement of benefits next week.

I hope it works out for ALL of us, in all of our various situations.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM

249 posts, read 304,968 times
I just got a response from Rep. Stephen A. LaRoque to an email I sent to all the House Republicans. I will post my email below to give you context. His response was simply, "How many weeks have you been receiving unemployment benefits?" I have just responded back to him twice and haven't heard back yet. Any one else sensing some sarcasm here?

My original email:

I'm an Independent voter who helped put many of you in office. The heartless way you're turning your backs on the MORE than 37,000 families who are now severely affected by the refusal to accept Federal money in an attempt to gain leverage on the budget negotiations is appalling.

Not only are you directly affecting families and children who can't buy groceries, much less keep a roof over their head, you're blatantly rejecting federal money that could be circulating in the NC economy to help keep businesses open and keep their employees working.

There is no logic in this decision and no one has directly answered the reasoning behind it (because there is no good reason.) If the question isn't ignored altogether, the rote response of tying it to the budget to protect a state shut down is given.

The budget will get passed and using the NC constituents who are already hurting as political pawns won't help your case.

Untie the EB bill and get it passed ASAP. Perdue looks just as bad as all of you now. Just be the bigger person and get this passed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina