Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 AM

59 posts, read 74,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
The Republicans are still squawking about Gov. Perdue usurping their authority in releasing EB benefits:

Jobless benefits for 47,000 in NC start flowing - BusinessWeek

Near the end of the article is a statement by Harry Payne, former chairman of the ESC, who says the Labor Department wouldn't have released the money " . . . without a thorough judgment of the situation. For courts to stop the benefits, a case would have to come from someone who can show injury," Payne said. "That could include Republican legislative leaders, but that's unlikely," Payne said.
Good article, Thanks...abcde12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 AM

118 posts, read 143,305 times
cant file this morning, I was told the system is overwhelmed and has created a glitch waiting for supervisor to fix .

Last edited by lw2011; 06-07-2011 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 AM

191 posts, read 218,425 times
My clain Finally says active and no issues, but no payment history yet. I guess it will take another overnight processing to get it done. Either way one or two more days wont hurt

Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,164 times
New here but I been reading some of the theard and I have a question.
Now I wasn't on EB when it went out of effect on April 16th, I was still drawing EUC. My Tier 4 benefits ran out on May 7. My claim said benefits exhausted, but I still filed every week after that with no problem just didn't receive a payment.
I called and now I'm on EB. My question is will I get back pay for the 4 weeks I filed and didn't receive anything or will it only pick up when my EB begin.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM

191 posts, read 218,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teekiya View Post
Now I wasn't on EB when it went out of effect on April 16th, I was still drawing EUC. My Tier 4 benefits ran out on May 7. My claim said benefits exhausted, but I still filed every week after that with no problem just didn't receive a payment.
I called and now I'm on EB. My question is will I get back pay for the 4 weeks I filed and didn't receive anything or will it only pick up when my EB begin.
I am in the same situation, they told me I would get all the weeks at once this week on Thursday, what exactly did they tell you?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco View Post
Someone who I know has been receiving unemployment benefits for almost 2-1/2 years (approx 125 weeks). Is this possible? I thought that 99 weeks was the absolute most that a person could draw? I have told this person that they should check into this because I believe they are being paid in error and there will come a time when the ESC will ask them to pay the money back, at which time they won't have the money because they are spending it (they have a family and need this money to live on). However, I don't want this person to get into a situation where they are told they were overpaid and they must pay back the money immediately and the person no longer has the money. Could this happen?

For the past several weeks, this person gets a message when they do their online weekly certification, stating that they have only 2 weeks or less of benefits remaining; however to this point they have not been cut off. When this person views their claim, it states "Benefits Exhausted"; however they are still drawing weekly benefits! I am concerned for this person...is it not safe to say that there has been a "glitch" and the money is not this person's to keep and she should report it?
Could there be a glitch and a claimant is getting way too many benefits? I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely if it has been going on over 20-30 weeks. It's not like there's one big master account that all benefits are drawn from...there's separate programs that each claimant is programmed into. It should throw up red flags on their end and be stopped not too long after the error was made. The "2 weeks or less remaining" message that keeps splashing up is a glitch that alot of claimants get...so I wouldn't read too much into that.

The only way I think a claimant can get benefits over two years is if they found temporary work during the two years of unemployment. Let's say you find a temporary job that will last 10 weeks, after those 10 weeks are up, you would go right back to unemployment and I'm assuming you'd pick up right where you left off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That person could then technically say they've been unemployed for 109 weeks and was paid each week, when actually, there were 10 weeks where they were not paid unemployment.

With all of that said, if it does manage to happen and the NCESC figures it out (which they most likely will in the end, all they have to do is pull up their claim), that person will receive overpayment letters in the mail...demanding they pay that money back by a certain date or face legal action. They would be able to appeal it...but to be honest, there's not going to be any good excuse. "I didn't know" or "I thought it was ok" or "Well it wasn't my fault the ESC kept giving me money" really isn't going to make them say, "Bah, alright you can keep the money!". We're all expected to know where we stand in the process and how much we're supposed to get. Any money a person gets that they're not entitled to needs to be reported immediately. If all of this is actually true...your friend could owe, what, anywhere from $5K to as much as $10K? That would be terribly unfortunate, but hopefully there's an explanation.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekiya View Post
If you certified for those 4 weeks...you should get those 4 weeks worth of benefits this week.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,164 times
Simpleman, ive been calling but cant get through. as soon as I can get someone I'll let you know what they say.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,440 times
I filed for EB on Sunday, said I was eligible, etc. Got a letter today from the ESC stating I'm eligible for xxxx amount, which is the full 20 weeks. Wonder when I can expect my 1st payment? It says all my records are up to date

Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gironbachs View Post
I filed for EB on Sunday, said I was eligible, etc. Got a letter today from the ESC stating I'm eligible for xxxx amount, which is the full 20 weeks. Wonder when I can expect my 1st payment? It says all my records are up to date
If you certified on Sunday and you got your monetary determination letter, you should be good. It doesn't hurt to call, but I'd wait at least until tomorrow and let them know your awaiting payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina