Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which builder would you choose, considering everything($,quality,design,features,etc)
Orleans Homebuilders 14 11.48%
Ryan Homes 10 8.20%
Shea Homes 17 13.93%
K. Hovnanian 13 10.66%
Niblock 3 2.46%
Pulte 10 8.20%
Saussy Burbank 8 6.56%
St. Lawrence Homes 8 6.56%
DR Horton 12 9.84%
Other - Please name & explain in thread 50 40.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,012,128 times

Advertisements

Thanks I will look there now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 AM

54 posts, read 175,263 times
Default SE. Miller, Shannon Miller construction (Miller Classic Homes)

Has anyone heard anything about S.E. Miller Construction or Shannon Miller Construction? They also go by Miller Classic Homes. They are a smaller company and build primarily in Charlotte and it's surrounding area. My husband and I are about to go to contract in September with them to build in Baxter (in Fort Mill). We are relocating from Florida.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 43,437 times
Just went to Fort Mill, our old family friends have a ranch in Baxter. There are not too many, most of the houses are two stories. We were really impressed with their home and found that the builder worked with them a bit on some of the things they did not like. Just a bit of tweeking. Awesome neighborhood, the house looks great.
Hope all goes well with yours.
FLgirl36

Old 07-31-2006, 05:45 AM

68 posts, read 296,140 times
In the Hickory area I would choose Grogan Construction.
He's a local builder who builds quality homes. He pays attention to details. He adds architectural details and highlights that really set his homes apart.

In the Hickory area, all you have to say is " It's a Dan Grogan home".
Grogan houses don't sit on the market too long.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 PM

799 posts, read 3,228,330 times
What about KB Homes??? Anyone?

Old 08-01-2006, 07:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi
What about KB Homes??? Anyone?

Do you want an answer really

Old 08-03-2006, 04:01 PM

295 posts, read 1,298,267 times
So far, no one has voted for Saussy Burbank and Ryan homes has 2 votes. Should we read anything into either of these? My perception was that Saussy was a good builder - but maybe its just that no one has much experience with them.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM

295 posts, read 1,298,267 times
This may have nothing to do with the actual homes they build and more to do with the overall state of their business model, but the following builder's stocks have STRONG SELL or SELL ratings, according to BusinessWeek. The full article can be found here: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...singSlump.aspx

Quote:
3. Think geography -- and value
Look for companies with more exposure to markets that have not had big run-ups in housing prices and less exposure to markets where prices have skyrocketed and will most likely come down. In other words: more Texas and less Florida.

One reason S&P is so bearish on homebuilders is that almost all the big ones are heavily exposed to Florida. Analyst William Mack rates only Dallas-based Centex (CTX, news, msgs) a buy (4 stars), because it has less debt than most of its peers and gets at least some of its revenue from a construction-services business that does nonresidential work.

Mack has strong sell (1 star) recommendations on Meritage Homes (MTH, news, msgs), MDC Holdings (MDC, news, msgs), Levitt (LEV, news, msgs) and Beazer Homes (BZH, news, msgs). He has sell rankings (2 stars) on Hovnanian Enterprises (HOV, news, msgs), Ryland Group (RYL, news, msgs), and Pulte Homes (PHM, news, msgs).
Again, this article is talking about the stock prices - not the actual homes - but here's hoping that if they are struggling a little bit in their bottom lines, they'll start lining up some more incentives to entice us to sign up for them rather than their competition. Of course, that doesn't include the builders that are mostly local since Charlotte doesn't appear to be a huge boom or bust location just yet.

The other good news is that today the Fed decided to not raise rates again just yet. They may still raise rates at the next meeting, but they paused today to see where the market is headed. Its unfortunate, but if the overall market is poor - its good news for me and the rest of us that will be signing a new mortgage in the next few months since the Fed only raises their rate to fight inflation and won't raise rates if the economy is struggling.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,150 times
if you bought your home 4 yrs ago than WESTMINISTER homes were one of the largest in area. and also Ryne homes i bought house from westminister. and being a person from overseas i think i go ripped off. i know i should have done more homeworrk on the homes but still its about experience. so we went ahead and bought one and i think i got scamed in the carpetting. we paid over 2000$ for 1.5 inch padding under the carpats and now we got this THIN CRUST PIZZA.

don't buy from WESTMINISTER and i heard/saw/read more about PULTE's homes. in charlotte. i read the ratings on paper and heard from people who own homes from PULTEs and they are the best i heard.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 PM

26 posts, read 119,907 times
J.D.Power Consumer Center rates Centrax as the best builder in the Raleigh area. However, when iI try to get information from them I receive an email stating they can not communicate by email with clients in NY & NJ. Has enyone experience the same? Can anyone speak from experience regarding Centrax Homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina