Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which builder would you choose, considering everything($,quality,design,features,etc)
Orleans Homebuilders 14 11.48%
Ryan Homes 10 8.20%
Shea Homes 17 13.93%
K. Hovnanian 13 10.66%
Niblock 3 2.46%
Pulte 10 8.20%
Saussy Burbank 8 6.56%
St. Lawrence Homes 8 6.56%
DR Horton 12 9.84%
Other - Please name & explain in thread 50 40.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:04 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,848 times

Advertisements

Based on the popularity of the other thread about good/bad homebuilder experiences, I thought it would be interesting to start a new one based on specific builders and what people's impressions were about the best ones and the worst ones.

I've posted a poll with this thread, although it would be better if we could do some sort of power ranking instead. In any case - there have been discussions about getting the most square footage per dollar with some of the lower-end builders and then getting the best craftsmanship, best designs, and best quality for higher prices on the high end. I've made it multiple choice, so you can vote for more than one builder if you'd like.

Please try to keep this one focused on the specific builders and which ones you all consider better than others. Everything is subjective, of course, and more house for the money might be better to one person and more features like countertops, lighting, flooring, moldings, etc. could be more valuable to someone else. We will all be tempted to vote for the builder that put up our home, I guess, but for someone (like me) that hasn't chosen a home builder yet in the Charlotte area ... this information could be invaluable.

Thanks!

Last edited by Samohtal; 07-25-2006 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,848 times
For the record, though, the home I've lived in back in NY State for the past 4 years is a Ryan Home. I can't say that I've had any problems with them - but I'm going to choose someone else for my house in Charlotte.

They served the purpose I needed in my first home, especially square footage for the money - but a lot of the "nice-to-have" features just aren't there and its slightly affecting my resale value.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,415 times
I live an Pulte townhome in south Florida. I wouldn't make them my first choice when we move to North Carolina in the upcoming year. I don't hate them either. And that is here in Florida with different codes.

I think this is an excellent idea. The other thread has made great points but it is very long now and something like this would be a great help.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
After looking we thought John Wieland was top then New Orleans. We saw some K Hovnanian that looked sharp but almost everything was an upgrade. I was told by our realtor to stay clear of Ryan homes problems and service issues. We looked at some homes called Cameron Pond in Cary. Don't recall the builder but they looked nice.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
After looking we thought John Wieland was top then New Orleans. We saw some K Hovnanian that looked sharp but almost everything was an upgrade. I was told by our realtor to stay clear of Ryan homes problems and service issues. We looked at some homes called Cameron Pond in Cary. Don't recall the builder but they looked nice.
I was looking at K Hovnanian. It looked good. But can you eleborate on what you mean everything is an upgrade? I see they adversite they will give you 10-20k in upgrades.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
The best on that list is St. Lawrence homes.... sturdy construction and they are very flexible in letting you pick and choose features you want in your home. The worst IMO would be Pulte. I currently live in a Pulte home and it is the most shoddy construction I've ever seen. My kitchen wall bends in and the stairs tilt to the right. I'm just glad it's only a rental!

Old 07-25-2006, 05:57 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,366 times
On the brochure we were given with floor plans from K. Hovnanian things like having a seperate shower and tub in the master bath suite was an option, tray ceilings and option, fireplace and option. Other builders feature these things as standard. The homes we were looking at from K. Hov were in the $400 on up price range. If I had gotten all the options I would want (what they showed in their models) I can only imagine what the price might have risen to. John Wieland was priced a bit higher initially but there were no upgrades on such things they were standard same with New Orleans at least in the homes we looked at (signature homes by John Weiland) (Wakefield Plantation in N. Raleigh for New Orleans)

Old 07-25-2006, 06:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,131 times
I agree Hovanian nickle and dimes you for everything. I don't want to live in a subdivision where some people are just living in a box after I put all my upgrades in. I prefer a builder that gives you a little extra.

I like Shea for the most part they have a good rep and the designs are nice, but I have noticed the last couple of years they are putting out a cheap looking product here in AZ. I shopped for one in all the series and the ones I could afford had doors that looked like cardboard and cabinets that looked like cardboard. I've seen some in NC that look great.

We chose DR. Horton well I chose it. I just showed my husband a virtual tour and he agreed. It actually looks like a John Weiland on the inside and we get a lot of little extras without being nickle and dimed.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
This is a great thread. I won't mention my builder because the house isn't finished and I don't want to jinx it But I'm very impressed.. so far.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 PM

117 posts, read 493,142 times
When I visited Raleigh a few months ago I was so impressed with the St. Lawrence homes we almost bought a home on the spot. The realtor had to talk us out of it, told us it to wait since we were just visiting. There are so many upgrades that they list as standard it was too much to list. We were sad to let go of the house but of course realized it wasa wise decision, we were not ready. Well we're ready now and will be visiting a couple of the developments in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina