Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 95,886 times

Advertisements

I've been out of the loop for a while...but getting back to you dogcrazy...isn't it a shame to come upon such a fabulous piece of history...only to find out that the area seems to lack potential?? I'm running into a similar situation in a very distant state. I guess there is a reason that some historic houses have particularly attractive price tags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,019 times
Post Possible Moving

My wife and I are looking at the Josey house also. From what we have been able to see, it will cost around $5K to fix the structure. Part of the frame is sinking. What I would like to know for sure is this, what is the attitude of the community? what I mean is, is the country hospitality atttitude or is it the closed community attitude? any imput would help.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,995 times
Default Before Judgement is Passed

Just a quick reply on Scotland Neck and to urge caution before passing judgement on the Town. They are really trying to revive their town, despite it being an uphill battle and having so much going against them. Follow the links to see some of the press on the Town and the "innovative" things they are trying to do to revive their economy. They are recognized across the state and many at the state and non-profit levels are intensely interested in what the town is trying to do on its own. As with the vacant downtown buildings, it's not from a lack of trying to fill them. It appears that a major retail business (by local standards) is set to move into one of the signature Main St. buildings to start up an outdoor outfitters store geared to hunters, birders, kayakers; etc. The Town was chosen because of its vision of promoting and protecting its abundant natural resources.

Between You and Me | Carroll Leggett | Scotland Neck: Doing Things Its Way

Golden LEAF Foundation (http://www.goldenleaf.org/n20070319.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,956 times
I've lived in Scotland Neck all my life, I've fallen in love with the town.Wedo have gangs that r really scary, but they've never murdered except they murdered members of the other gang. We have some that'll try to steal your purse or wallet, and rob houses, but from all that I can tell u this if u live in a big city that would happen WAY more.In this town everyone knows everybody. And the best way to meet half of the town is go to church.They'll welcome u there anytime. And if your husband likes to fish or hunt there's many places he can do that.And yes she is right about the crepe myrtle festival, our town is very small so we don't throw big shindigs, 30 minutes away there's rocky mount and u can shop there (we go there a lot) and greenville (but that's not 30 minutes away) there's also tarboro there's not much to do there, but if u want a pair of shoes go to Roberson Dupree in tarboro.And about 7 minutes away there's a town called Hobgood that has a private school that's where my mama went and me.Called Hobgood Academy it is a pretty good school with only maybe 300 people.It is fun growin up in this town I'd recomen it to everyone(and I'd recomend going to sylvan heights the largest waterfowl in the nation! In our little town)

Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 PM

31 posts, read 46,719 times
Default Life long resident tells all.

I was born and raised in this small town. For many years I hated the place. It seemed there was nothing to do and nowhere to go. I left, for a career, in my early thirties and pledged never to return except to see family. During my travels around the western part of the US and living in Texas for a few years, I found myself strangely missing this small town. The trees and the natural beauty of the place haunted my thoughts. There aren't many trees out west and I really missed them. I found this strangely curious, but there was something else. I missed the people. Those nosy people.

After 10 years away, I finally returned to see to my mother's needs and all the things I hated about the place seemed to fall away when, as if for the first time, I noticed the people were so nice and always inviting. The thunderstorms in spring and birds singing tunes of joy. Squirrels chasing one another in the back yards while neighbors traded homemade goodies across the fence.

I've really grown to love this place, it's beauty and it's people. They are always warm and hospitable even if they are a little gossipy, as you would expect in any town of this size.

There are some problems. I won't try to pull the wool over anyones eyes here. There are drug problems and thefts. A few break ins here and there, but not at the level I experienced in Charlotte, NC, Fort Worth, Tx. or even Cheyenne, Wy. There isn't much industry and hardly any good jobs. There is, however, a feeling of security. It wasn't many years ago we still left our doors unlocked and many still do...just not as noticable as before. My mother's door is always open to freinds or strangers.

If any of you choose to buy a home here and choose this small area in which to retire or just get away from the hustle and bustle of the larger cities, rest assured that you would be welcomed and would make many friends quickly. There are plenty of outdoor things to do and many churches to choose from. Race relations are good. Of course, there is always the wayward thug, but the police do a pretty good job of keeping the peace.

Anyway, come. We welcome you and your family and friends to live a more relaxed life; Free of the stresses of constant sirens and unknown neighbors.

We will gladly welcome you. RWE

Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
These past are from years ago. In 2014, are gang members in Scotland Neck an issue? What part of town, is that an issue?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM

31 posts, read 46,719 times
Cee Jay, I still live here and I don't see much evidence downtown or on the western side of town of gang activity. I actually can't remember the last time I heard gun shots. The occasional sirens are heard once or twice a week, but not like the cities. A helicopter lands at the local hospital every now and again to transport gunshot victims mostly, but that is somewhat rare. Now the east side of town is another story. I really have no need to venture too deep into that side of town as all shopping and other places of interest are mostly on main street, but I bump into many of the people who do live over there. I know or at least am familiar with most town folk and see them while shopping or running errands around town. I ride my bicycle everywhere so I talk to many people on the streets. I haven't heard of any real terrible gang activity. I do witness the occasional drug dealing, but the dealer moved from just down the street from me, tired of being harassed by cops and complaints from neighbors of his customers blocking traffic, and as a result I don't see much of that anymore. But it has been my experience that there are dealers on just about every corner on the east side. That kind of activity is slowly making it's way to the west side of town over the years. Also people walking the streets very late at night are a little suspicious, but they have learned to steer clear of my crazy self...lol. I've run off a few suspicious characters who were either 'casing the joint' or peeking in my windows. A little show of weapons and they got the message. Race relations are still very good here. Everyone co-exists, shops and dines together without even a hint of trouble, except for the occasional young thug from out of town. Still though, there is very little to do here unless you fish, hunt or garden. The first week of every month is a busy time for the town as the Social Security, SSI and SS Disabilty checks arrive, but the rest of the month things are very quiet.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee Jay View Post
These past are from years ago. In 2014, are gang members in Scotland Neck an issue? What part of town, is that an issue?
The whole of Scotland Neck is only about 10 blocks by 15 blocks. It's pretty small. If you have gang problems in any part of town you have them in the whole town. If there's any gang bangers in town they're just visiting their grand mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina