Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM

39 posts, read 177,311 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I already posted a similar topic in the NOVA/DC forum, and I was convinced by some posters that North Carolina might be a better fit for me and my hubby. I've also posted a topic where I asked about neighborhoods and things to do in Charlotte (our #1 choice if we move to NC).

But I'm interested to know, has anyone reading this moved from Florida to NC or from NC down to Florida and liked it/loved it/hated it? What were the big changes or things you missed/didn't miss? Really interested to know!

My husband and I are a young couple, no kids yet, and I'm a Florida native. We like a mix of city/nature with lots of things to do. But putting what we like aside, how did YOU feel about your move and would you do it all over again? What were the pros and cons of both places? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,871 times
I am originally from WV and moved to Orlando when I was 24. I lived in Fl for 22 years. I lived in Jax, Orlando, Okeechobee, Rockledge, Melbourne, Panama City Beach, and Port St John. I am now living about 15 miles east of Charlotte.

What I miss? You said nature. It depends on what kind of nature you like. I like the ocean, beach, sand, the smell of saltwater. Flowers and trees that bloom 9 months out of the year and temperatures that you want to go outside in, not bundle up in front of a heater.

What we have, nature. Mountains, dirt, pretty scenery. Nice greenery, but things don't live very long. If you plant, everything has a "season" some being two weeks. Summers are hot. Winters have been cold. Luckily, we don't have as much snow as the mountains, but I hate ice and snow, so a little is too much for me.

It really depends on what you like or want. Some people love it here, I don't dislike it, but I really miss the beach I really miss being outside in the wintertime and not freezing.

I know it's been a long time and I am not in the club scene anymore, but I don't see Charlotte as much fun as I did Orlando. I'm sure some people would differ.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 AM

324 posts, read 1,527,966 times
i moved from tampa to raleigh in 2001...i do like the area but i'd probably move back to tampa if i could..i 2nd what thebalogas has/had said & i do miss the hot weather down there

Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Hello,

I already posted a similar topic in the NOVA/DC forum, and I was convinced by some posters that North Carolina might be a better fit for me and my hubby. I've also posted a topic where I asked about neighborhoods and things to do in Charlotte (our #1 choice if we move to NC).

But I'm interested to know, has anyone reading this moved from Florida to NC or from NC down to Florida and liked it/loved it/hated it? What were the big changes or things you missed/didn't miss? Really interested to know!

My husband and I are a young couple, no kids yet, and I'm a Florida native. We like a mix of city/nature with lots of things to do. But putting what we like aside, how did YOU feel about your move and would you do it all over again? What were the pros and cons of both places? Thanks!!
We moved from S. Florida three years ago and love it here! I don't miss the heat, traffic, nasty drivers, and high cost of insurance and taxes.

We love the slower pace of life, affordable home and auto insurance and the change of seasons. Even with the state income tax, it costs us much less to live here than S. Florida. We have the mountains and the Outer Banks. The downside for me personally is that we are inland, no ocean breeze, and I developed allergies. So right now I am enjoying all the spring blooms from inside!

There are things I miss about Florida, but both our children still live there so we get to visit often.

And of course Florida is a big state and my opinions come from living in Ft. Lauderdale.

We would definitely make the move again. There is so much more of N.C. that we have yet to explore.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM

Catrick,

If we stayed in FL, FT Lauderdale was one of the places we are considering. What was life in Ft Lauderdale like? Is it a beautiful place to live like I've seen in some pictures with all the canals? We haven't been yet but are thinking of making a trip to some S. Florida cities before making the jump out of state.

I was checking out some downtown condos in FT Lauderdale and the HOA fees were $700+ a month! I thought that was a lot. So maybe Ft Lauderdale will turn out to be out of our league anyways.

Thanks for your help Catrick, I don't know anyone in/from Ft Lauderdale!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM

Catrick,

One more question.... are there any big lakes around Charlotte (or the other big cities in NC)? Any kind of nice water scene? Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I'm not Catrick, but Lake Norman is just north of Charlotte on I77. It is very big. And very expensive to live on.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Sparklecat, where in FL are you?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 AM

I live in Tampa Bay area (West coast of FL)... Palm Harbor to be more specific.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
We debated FL v NC for a year, finally settled on Tampa, and then 2 weeks before the movers came changed our mind back to NC. Funny, Palm Harbor was at the top of our list of possible destinations.

For us the deciding factors were - 4 seasons, schools, easy drive to NYC, bugs, alligators, traffic, job prospects, nice people. In Florida we would get that same blank stare from the guy at the check out that we got back in Long Island. In NC you need to get used to the check out person wanting to have a conversation with you. We do miss the water, there's nothing quite like the ocean.

Good luck - you can't go wrong with those choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina