Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information regarding the SANFORD and EASTOVER areas... I am planning to relocate to ft bragg and moving my family. I am look for a safe area for them to live and a good place for a young child (5) to go to school. NEED real good information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,143 times
What do you want to know??? Eastover is in the Cape Fear School District. Most of the elementary schools in that district are EXCELLENT---Eastover Elementary usually ranks at the TOP of the test scores for the entire county. Eastover has a rec. dept. through the county and they offer A LOT of activities for kids, including sports. T-ball and softball for girls is huge!!

There is now a pediatric practice, and some other medical offices in Eastover. I think a dentist is there now. They just, this week, opened Eastover Drug. There's a great hair salon & dance studio there as well.

Eastover is about a 15 minute drive to Fayetteville via I-295, to Ramsey Street, which will get you to Walmart and a huge urgent care owed by Cape Fear Valley Regional Medical Center. It's maybe another 10 minute drive to get you on post at Bragg.

Let me know what else you'd like to know about the Eastover area.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,184 times
thanks for that piece of information. Is This an area that is mostly compacted with alot of people or is it a small town type of place where things are a little spread out? I come from small town living and I'm not to fond of living in a big city. Would you recommend this place for a small family to live and grow?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboone819 View Post
thanks for that piece of information. Is This an area that is mostly compacted with alot of people or is it a small town type of place where things are a little spread out? I come from small town living and I'm not to fond of living in a big city. Would you recommend this place for a small family to live and grow?

Eastover is definitely a small town---in fact, they just incorporated about 2 years ago. But it's close to "town" (Fayetteville) that it's convenient, but not crowded. It's still considered "out in the country" (farm fields all around). I would DEFINITELY recommend it. With the schools & the community, and YOU coming from a small town, you'd love it there!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,971 times
Thumbs up Sanford has a lot to offer, and is conveniently located.

My reply to your question is likely no surprise to anyone who has read this forum for a while ....but Sanford is indeed a good option for folks in the Fayetteville area that are looking for a "small town" feel with mid-sized city resources.

Sanford is about 25k population, and has most of the services that people "need", such as big-box stores, chain restaurants, a local hospital, but is just 20-30 minutes away from the larger metros that have just about anything else one might "want".

Sanford is ideally located, almost dead center to the Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham, and Fayetteville area. Commutes to any are less than an hour, and in the case of Raleigh or Fayetteville can be in the 30-40 minute range depending on destination. And of course, Cary is just 30 minutes away.

Here are some maps showing Sanford's relative location to other cities and resources:

Live Well Centered.

We moved to Sanford from San Jose, CA via a 1yr stint in Cary and have been very pleased. We've found the schools to be very good and certainly no worse than Cary or San Jose. Being a smaller school district it is true that some of the activities or more esoteric(such as Japanese as a foreign language) classes found in large districts are absent. But that's not to say that there is a shortage of core and extracurricular classes and programs.

And much of Lee County's schools are relatively new, and we've just opened a new HS a few years back. The only major infrastructure issue was the well known problems with the main HS, which was quite old. That now is being renovated and is slated to be completed by 2012-2013.

We've also got a great local theater presence with The Temple Theater. They have two children's conservatories in the summer, and our children have attended for the last 3 years and loved it.

Housing is Sanford is very affordable, although one can also find several hundred thousand $$ homes if that is something one is looking for. Being smaller, Sanford has everything from rural farm land, gated golf communities, builder spec subdivisions, and historic downtown districts.... all within 10 minutes of each other.

Also being smaller, Sanford has retained much of its small town look and feel. Sanford has a strong blue collar manufacturing and railroad background, and has that look and feel. If one is looking for a carefully groomed "Cary Jr", then Sanford may not be what one is looking for. But Sanford takes pride in its appearance and history, and it shows.

Another benefit of being smaller, is that Sanford city government, and also Lee County government(Sanford is the county seat) is very approachable. Sanford is the kind of town where the mayor probably knows you by name and will make an effort to greet you in public. And city council members are more likely than not to come by your house to chat if you've expressed an interest in an issue.

Sanford isn't perfect of course, but with BRAC and the general growth of the surrounding area, we've seen slow and steady investment that even in our short 4 years has shown a distinct improvement.

We're happy with our choice and like to let others know that Sanford is a good alternative to the larger metro areas if a more rural or small town atmosphere is what you are looking for.

Good luck, and here are some more informational links:

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Al

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 06-03-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 06:38 PM

53 posts, read 205,194 times
We live in the northern part of Cumberland County (Fayetteville address, but no city tax) Its a quick 15 minutes with only two stoplights and no traffic to get to post. The elementary schools - Raleigh Road and Long Hill - are excellent. This is a quiet, safe, rural area only about 4 miles from shopping on Ramsey Street. The areas you mentioned are nice places too, just a little too far from post for us. Some popular neighborhoods up here are Pine Valley, Long Leaf, Castlebrook, Hunters Ridge & Ellerslie.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 11,993 times
you should check out the Anderson Creek area of Harnett County. Three new schools "Overhills"

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,559 times
nice post al. thanks a lot

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina