Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,113 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Fort Bragg area this summer. I must report to work by August 20, but want to be there by middle of July to settle in and start planning. I'd like to find a home to rent in an area with fantastic schools and a solid community with a great parks and rec and a downtown with a hometown feel. I'd like a 4+bd/2+ba.
What areas can you recommend? Fayetteville seems to have a nice park and rec but widely differing neighborhoods. Some have suggested Hope Mills and Sanford but they don't appear to have a lot more to offer. The schools have same rating as those in Fayetteville and the local parks and recs are minimal. Is Seven lakes/Pinehurst far? This area looks nice.
Are their great neighborhoods within Fayetteville that have a hometown feel and are safe? The closer to the base the better. That's where I'll be working.
Finding a home and enrolling my kids in a top public school are my first priorities. Second, I need to find a great pediatrician, before and after school care and a babysitter, and a nice Catholic Church. Is the Children’s Hospital nearby.
I welcome any help you can offer about the area. I am moving from California to an area I know nothing about except what I can dig up on the internet. Plus I'm leaving behind my entire support team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
moderator note:
thread relocated to the
state forum
for better response.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
St. Patrick's & St. Ann's are the 2 Catholic churches in Fayetteville, and they both have schools.

There is not a children's hospital anywhere nearby---you have to go to Chapel Hill or Duke to find those---but Cape Fear Valley Medical Center is a good hospital. They have a Level 3 NICU (ICU level) and a PICU.

You might want to look at the Eastover area in Cumberland County. You're about 30 minutes to Ft. Bragg, but it's a small town with A LOT to offer! And they have a pediatrician, dentist, and a drug store. And the elementary school there is one of the top 5 in the county and it's in the Cape Fear High School District---Cape Fear was named by U.S. News & World Reports as one of the top HS in the US!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,113 times
This is great information. Thank you for sharing. What middle school do the students in Eastover attend?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie409 View Post
This is great information. Thank you for sharing. What middle school do the students in Eastover attend?

They go to Mac Williams Middle School. It's next-door to Cape Fear HS. My daughter is just finishing up 8th grade at MWMS and will be at Cape Fear next year.

Oh, and I forgot to mention what a busy rec. program they have in Eastover!!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
The Hope Mills section of Cumberland County is nice I lived in the area since 2002 and now live in Grays Creek (still a Hope Mills address) You would not be able to tell when you cross from Fayetteville city limits to Hope Mills. The county runs the parks an rec programs and they have a large variety to choose from. Hope Mills runs it's own sports programs and has a nice YMCA (with before and aftercare). There are plenty of neighborhoods that have what you are looking for. The Jack Britt school discrict is the most popular although with the school of choice progams the county runs there are more choices. My oldest graduated from Southview High School it even has the International Baccalaurate program. We moved to the Gray's Creek school district last fall and have been happy with Gallberry Farms elementary school. The Middle School is brand new just opened this year. We attend St. Patricks church and had our daughter in Pre-K there. We take our kids to Hope Mills pedatrics and really like them.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM

22 posts, read 47,829 times
Whatever you do stay away from Spring Lake - Hope Mills is a great place. I prefer Southern Pines area

Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
There are also some subdivisions extremely close to the Hope Mills city limits but are classified as Fayetteville. If you want to know what they are send me a message through here and I'll let you know what they are.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
I need to quit typing in a hurry and use spellcheck.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM

196 posts, read 590,079 times
Default Moving to Ft. Bragg

Not sure if this is the correct forum to place this question.

Husband & I are currently in El Paso (Bliss)...reporting to Bragg in April. Can anyone provide me with names of good apt complexes reasonably close to base? We'll need a pet-friendly 1 bedroom. Neither of us know the area and I'll have to pick a place sight unseen.

Thanks for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina