Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 PM

59 posts, read 227,815 times

Advertisements

What about semi retiring in North Dakota? I'm recently divorced and everything boxed up and looking for change, and no kids. What would it be like to live in for instance, downtown Fargo in an aprtment? Can people over 50 find part time employement? I ask about downtown Fargo because I would assume mass transit and ease of movement. However, open to all suggestions about North Dakota living. For reference, I grew up in the foothills of Mt. Hood in Oregon, golf and computers and sometimes guitars as hobbies. Snowy weather and skiers were a part of my childhood. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Dave99

Retireing (semi) next summer to North Dakota myself. Lake Metigoshe, near Bottineau, on the lake. Property values here are still affordable, but I'm not too sure about the Fargo area. I'm originally from Rugby,ND, spent 31 years in the Minneapolis area and the last 10 years on the Central Coast of California (Santa Maria). I will not be missing the ultra-fast pace of either Minneapolis or California. Wife and I are going to try do an internet business to supplement our requirements for surviving, or if worse comes to worse, we could always work at the new WallyMart that is being built in Bottineau.
The cold and jobs are about the two main complaints I ever hear about living in North Dakota, as the people for the most part are very friendly. It may take a little while for people to get to know you, but I've discovered you just need to go out and be friendly and introduce yourself, and you will be just fine. You might want to check out this link: nd.gov: Official Portal for North Dakota State Government and see what North Dakota looks like from behind a camera. As you will see, its not all flat prarie, but lots of beautiful areas as well.
Good luck on your move!

Will be joining ya next summer.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks Mike. I've looked hard at Bismarck N.D. and Fargo/Moorhead. I have lot's of relatives in N.D. and northern Minn. but have no idea who and where they are. Because my last name is the same as one of the towns in N.D. I started investigating life in N.D. and Minn. as a comparison to my locale.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
Dave99

You should consider my town, Minot, ND. Even though our population is around 35,000, there are a lot of possibilities for starting businesses or even getting a full/part time job. Our town host the State Fair every year along with the Scandinavian Host Fest. The Host Fest is now considered in the top 10 national events. There are lakes to the north and south and hunting areas all around the city. Anyway, this is one more town to consider. ct

Old 07-26-2007, 02:05 PM

246 posts, read 1,006,713 times
I would highly recommend bismarck as an option. There seems to be alot of boom going on right now there and from what I have been told by employers who are friends of the family they are just throwing jobs at people right now.

Fargo isn't bad, I live here, but Bismarck overall would be my top pic, and I have lived in Minot as well.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM

Well, I'm scandi/german and grew up next to a snow covered mountain in Oregon so I think I would fit in well in either Bismarck, Fargo or Minot as far as acclimating to cold weather. I don't think I've ever had to use an engine block at night, though. I'd be there now if I absolutely knew I could snag a part timer in an office, or something similar. My goal is to move to one of those 3 locales, get a part-timer, volunteer for emergency response, and kick back. Reasonable goals, I hope.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
What kind of part-time job are you looking for?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM

At my age probably inside work would be more appropriate I suppose. Interspersed with being a golf bum I've sidetracked into customer service at the local international airport, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved being around those airplanes. Notice I said airplanes, not customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota