Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,677 times

Advertisements

Whenever Im in Minot (once a week), I dont notice the bombers. Its not like they do fly overs on the city, they are positioned several miles north of town. Minot is a terrific place to live in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:34 AM

282 posts, read 526,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind9 View Post
Whenever Im in Minot (once a week), I dont notice the bombers. Its not like they do fly overs on the city, they are positioned several miles north of town. Minot is a terrific place to live in my opinion.
That's what I was wondering. Thank you for your reply!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM

37 posts, read 156,250 times
only airline servicing minot at the moment is northwest but i would have to search my GDS to be sure. and the number of flights is pretty small, not sure about general aviation but that would be prop planes so the noise would be minimal. there is a racetrack in town at the fairgrounds but not sure how much noise that would produce. if you dont live near highway 2, broadway or burdick in minot the noise i would think would be pretty minimal but havent spent much time in minot in the last 4 years.

edit: just checked my worldspan GDS and can only find 3 flights into and out of minot on northwest. august times appear to be 450a, 1107a and 440 out of minot and arrivals are 1027a, 359p, and 1152p.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
[quote=pie in ear;1208401]I guess my point wasn't as to what kind of jets they were so much as that there is a lot of air traffic. Is it obvious there is a lot of air traffic?

Thanks[/QUOTE

IF you live in Minot, you won't even notice or hear the aircraft from the base. And unless you live close to the airport, you won't see or hear any of the planes unless you happen to look up at the right time to see the aircraft leave the city. I live in SE Minot and I haven't heard a plane yet. Trains yes, aircraft no.

Are you really thinking of moving to ND? ct

Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 AM

282 posts, read 526,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity View Post
IF you live in Minot, you won't even notice or hear the aircraft from the base. And unless you live close to the airport, you won't see or hear any of the planes unless you happen to look up at the right time to see the aircraft leave the city. I live in SE Minot and I haven't heard a plane yet. Trains yes, aircraft no.

Are you really thinking of moving to ND? ct
Yes. I am really thinking of moving to ND.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,636,070 times
Minot AFB is about 15 miles North of the city. You won't see or hear much air traffic from base if you live in town.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 17,251 times
We lived in Minot for 9 years and my husband retired from Minot AFB. We did not live on the base and in fact lived in down town Minot. We loved it everyday and if not for the job change, we would have stayed there forever. Two of our kids graduated from Minot High School. The flight paths for aircraft do not usually follow down town or even around Minot very often, at least we rarely ever heard them. By the time the jets get that far from the base they are pretty high in altitude and not heard. Minot is located about 15 or so miles from the base. It's a great city. Know as the "Magic City," it truly is one. Geographically you can't see it until you are there because, like magic, it appears from what may seem like an endless highway. may things about Minot are magical with it being the home of the State Fair. I believe if you choose to live in Minot, you will not regret it. I have very fond memories of Minot and made life long frienships. I think it isa well kept secret.....

Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
Minot AFB does have B52's. But the base is 12 miles north of Minot so you don't even hear when they run up the engines. You won't even hear the Northwest Airlines when it comes into Minot unless you are facing the airport. The biggest noise in Minot are the deaf people who play their music so loud, you can hear it outside of the car they are driving. ct

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 42,411 times
Default AFB Growing or Downsizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Jet Noise.......the sound of FREEDOM
I couldn't agree more. My wife thinks I'm a nut, but I love the sound of fighters and bombers overhead.

Does anybody know if the AFB at Minot is either growing or downsizing?

You're gonna hate me, but I like to buy rental homes near military bases--that is, unless they're downsizing.

The downside with this kind of rental is the high turnover. But as a military brat myself, who grew up on and off bases, I like the idea of military families renting my home.

Thanks

BullDogLvr

Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Jet Noise.......the sound of FREEDOM
EXACTLY!!!

No, not a lot of air noise from the base, and they normally they don't fly during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota