Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM

32 posts, read 80,790 times

Advertisements

Good evening ladies & gentlemen,

Most folks call me Jay Andy and I'm a young man from east of the Mississippi. Only been west of the Mississippi once. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a "city slicker." But for the longest time I've wanted to change my life and become my own man. Never been on welfare and have never been fond of handouts. Be it giving them or receiving them.

North Dakota along with Alberta appear to be where the action is on our continent. Since I can't lawfully work in Canada then North Dakota is the place. If I could work in Australia then I'd be heading out to Western Australia.

Here is my reality:

1.) I don't drive and I've never held a driver's license

2.) I never completed college

3.) I'm not the most handy or strongest person in the world

But I'm extremely solution oriented and a very good problem solver. Also, I can identify value and greatness a mile away. In many respects I'm "Warren Buffet" without the Billions of Dollars. Admittedly, I'd like to think I'm a bit more fun.

The bottom line is I'd like to move to either Minot which I know is a bit of a college town or quite possibly to the boom-town of Williston. It's only a matter of booking the "Greyhound" bus ticket and leaving. Which do you think would be best? I'm looking for employment, opportunities, adventures and the chance to start a brand spankin' new chapter in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You ask if you can have a life in N.D. w/out a license. You could in Grand Forks, you might in Minot...if you can find positions near where you find housing. Housing in Minot is a bit hard to find...in Grand Forks it is fairly available. If you are asking about the oilfield areas, I'm not sure that most oil companies would hire you w/out a license because they need folks that can move equipment, get out to the job sites etc. The sites are usually quite a distance from town....I think if you applied at Target Logistics or one of the mancamps w/out a car you might have a better chance of making it. But, seriously you will need to have your own transportation. I would recommend getting your drivers license....and applying from where you live. Williston has no housing... There are tons of threads w/ info and links to job sites. NDJobs, Indeed.com, RigZone....several...do a search. Be prepared for what you may get into, winter weather can kill if you don't have a warm car to get you from A to B....
COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources... ( 1 2 3 4)

Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I posted in Fargo forum.....given your situation....I would strongly focus in Fargo or Grand Forks or even Bismarck as the transportation system for someone without a car would be better and housing is at least available somewhat....Fargo being the least expensive.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Instinctively, I had a feeling a lack of a driver's license would be problematic. What kind of a town is Fargo?

While I would be making the trip all by my lonesome. What if I came with my brother and a friend of ours? My brother has a good car and a valid license. Our friend has a small Ford truck and a valid license. In that case, would trying either Minot or Williston make sense? Otherwise, I do really understand the point of selecting Fargo.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDakota View Post
Instinctively, I had a feeling a lack of a driver's license would be problematic. What kind of a town is Fargo?

While I would be making the trip all by my lonesome. What if I came with my brother and a friend of ours? My brother has a good car and a valid license. Our friend has a small Ford truck and a valid license. In that case, would trying either Minot or Williston make sense? Otherwise, I do really understand the point of selecting Fargo.
Read up on the forums here as there is a great deal of info....but you can certainly try out west. Issue is housing and inflated prices. You can find places and Minot is starting to build some and there a few more openings for places to live in that town now compared to one year ago. That said...prices are a bit higher. My unbiased opinion is that if you want to try out west first to see what is going on...try Minot as a base and see if you can obtain housing there. Williston and that area is so tough still. Fall is approaching, despite todays heat. I strongly advise if you try Minot (and certainly if want to go farther west) please obtain some housing first. Arriving without prospects for housing will be tough as many places will offer you a job only if you have secured housing first.

Fargo is a safer choice being it has all the infrastructure in place and its growth has been going on for sometime and there are plentiful living options.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 AM

159 posts, read 350,851 times
Most of that is wise advice. But does Fargo and Cleveland Ohio have any high paying oil Jobs going on right now?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Most of that is wise advice. But does Fargo and Cleveland Ohio have any high paying oil Jobs going on right now?
- My understanding is no.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 18,445 times
Andy, I'm in a similar boat as you... What are your current plans? I'd imagine that if you get up there before it gets too cold, you could probably just camp out until you get a job with housing included.

I'm in the process of getting my CDL right now (hopefully by end of September) and already have my non-CDL, but like you I have little work experience in the world of manual labor, left college without a degree during my fourth year, and am close to broke (will be spending most of the little money I have on getting my CDL and buying a van to live in until it gets too cold).

After a year of struggling to make it in NYC, I've concluded that for a "Warren Buffet without the money" to get anywhere, you have to amass some amount of capital first. Hence my interest in slaving away for a year in ND.

When are you heading up, et cetera?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:08 AM

159 posts, read 350,851 times
Well heres a big tip or 2> First check with WIA in your area and see if they have the funds in at this time of year to pay for your TDriver schooling. I did it years ago and that really helps. They only get so much a year for schooling then when that runs out u have to wait till more funds come in, most likely in the following year. Trucking is hard to get into right out of school. For 2 main reasons most companies prefer EXP. and Insurance companies will not insure or charge thru the roof for any driver with Less than 2 years driveing EXP. . Now from what im seeing is North Dakota has gone thru its Desperate phase, And is being alot more selective. On the other hand it appears that eagle ford down in TX is in desperate need right now. Ive seen a driver that was on this sight has gotten a job down there with only school exp. and the claims of others the same. And from what i can tell it seems true. Benefit> Getting Exp>in the oil fields and also during the winter months then come spring u have the exp. and r in the {higher/hire} demand Most big companies have set up shop in all the gas and oil fields. You could transfer to ND for the highest Buck ive noticed around or to PA which in your case is a short drive to home. And there working on softening NY up to start Fracing in the state. who knows. But for anbody that is really looking to get off the computer and find something now if u cant find it in ND do to the lack of exp., housing or what ever look south for the time being, Get what u need then head north. Maybe they will have a house and a parking spot built by then.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDakota View Post
Good evening ladies & gentlemen,

Here is my reality:
1.) I don't drive and I've never held a driver's license
3.) I'm not the most handy or strongest person in the world

Realistically, Have you really thought about what type of job you
can get in North Dakota with these two strikes against you?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you first need to figure out specifically
what you are looking for. I am sure Warren Buffet would tell you the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota