Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM

58 posts, read 190,166 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm just wondering what distinguishes ND FROM SD?
SD I heard gived you more of a country feel?? It's like a small town region...
Are the houses affordable in ND? how is the economy? and communities??

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM

180 posts, read 634,606 times
One is better than the other: The one that does not play host to a "Corn Palace." Seriously, who builds buildings out of Corn?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
35 views and I can't believe no one has said this yet.

South Dakota sucks and North Dakota blows.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 38,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
South Dakota sucks and North Dakota blows.
Is that true?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
I alway thought it had to do with ND being windy. Maybe I've been wrong all these years.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
South Dakota: Corn Palace Photos

This is a description of the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota. As you can see, the building is redecorated yearly with colorful grains and sorghum. The building is a solid structure with deco as the site will tell you. If you're interested in more pics of it, you're welcome to check out the South Dakota "Picture" sticky.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM

85 posts, read 414,587 times
I don't think there's that much of a difference between North and South Dakota. I actually think there's more of a difference between east and west than there is between north and south. Eastern South Dakota is very much like eastern North Dakota, and western South Dakota is very much like western North Dakota.

Both east and west are very much rural, with mostly small towns. The eastern Dakotas, though, are a little more populated, and the largest cities - Fargo and Sioux Falls - are on the eastern edges of the states.

The eastern Dakotas are pretty flat with lots of productive farmland, while the western Dakotas are hillier, more scenic (especially with the Badlands and Black Hills), more rugged, if you will, and more remote.

Houses are affordable, even in the larger cities. I guess the economy is doing alright. Agriculture is doing pretty good right now due to high commodity prices, and there's an oil boom out in western North Dakota. The larger cities like Fargo, Sioux Falls, and Bismarck are obviously going to have more job opportunities.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
JWMN, that's a very good post. I couldn't agree with you more. There are many more similarities between the two states then differences.

I don't know if this is actually a good question to ask, Valene. Maybe you could be a bit more specific in what you'd like to know. It appears that you've asked this in other areas where the states are neighbors and it only leads to hard feelings. So if you have specific questions about the differences, please just list them.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
The Corn Palace is not built entirely out of corn. The outside and interiors are decorated with corn. It's fascinating to see...and they redecorate it every year. They use it for basketball games, arts and crafts shows, etc.

South Dakota is slightly more populated... The western part of the Dakotas are more hilly/higher elevated... the eastern parts are more prairie/flat. Other than that, I can't think of any other difference...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 AM

87 posts, read 333,003 times
Default South Dakota and North Dakota

The differences in geography and population are minimal. However, according to posts from the ND and SD boards it seems as though more people question whether they would feel welcomed in North Dakota. And a number of ND residents and former ND residents seem to tell people that they may not be all that welcome, or that it at least will take a period of time. For example, see the Fessenden, ND thread. I'm not going to provide another link for it since I don't believe that it is bad as it was described but it also isn't an isolated thread. There are a number of others that appear to convey the same opinion.

You just don't see that kind of response to similar questions on the SD board and it has certainly never been my experience back when I lived in SD. I don't how to explain the disparity in attitudes and opinions but when you read both boards the difference jumps out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota