Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM

9 posts, read 38,175 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been researching many states in which to potentally move to and I've narrowed it down to just a few:

Wyoming
Oregon
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota

All of these states have good and bad things. One of the things I cannot tolerate is long, hot summers. I doubt this is an issue in ND.

I don't mind cold as I've lived in some very cold places before.

What I'm looking for can summed up easily:

- Affordable housing (under 150,000)
- Great schools (low student/teacher ratio)
- Job opportunities (I'm a computer technician)
- Hunting, fishing, and hiking (within 30 minutes drive)

Does ND have decent hunting? Is there an abundance of public hunting land that people can take advantage of? Fishing is no big deal since you can fish almost anywhere with a license.

What about taxes? Does ND have killer property tax? Having a mortgage is bad enough without being killed with high taxes. I hear that ND has great schools, but does the state and various cities tax you to death to achieve this greatness?

From what I've read, I take it that ND is fairly conservative in its political outlook.

Anything else I should know that I haven't asked but anyone here doesn't mind volunteering up as far as cogent points of interest?

Thanks in advance.

Scifidude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:49 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Hi

You ask a lot of good questions....I have in-laws in the Minot area so have visited that area often and I live in the red river valley. Pretty much most anywhere in the state would be good for hunting. Your best bet would be to ask other hunters about where they hunt or scope out some land that you may think is good. There is excellent deer hunting as well as excellent goose, pheasant and other bird hunting. I am not a hunter myself, but friends are. The biggest fishing area is Devils Lake (at least in northeast ND). People also fish along the Red in spots...and there is the Cats Incredible Tournament in early August along the Red River in East Grand Forks/Grand Forks. There are many other lakes for fishing all over the state too.

I think what it will boil down too will be the job. Now computer technician I am not sure what specific areas you would be good for...but Microsoft in Fargo is growing and I am sure the other larger ND cities have smaller software/IT companies as well. In terms of housing/schools your best bet would be to live outside in a smaller town but near the city where your job will be. Minot would be the cheaper of the 4 larger ND cities and most able to fit your price range....but most nearly all smaller towns would fit your bill.

Considering your questions...I suggest checking on the Bismarck area first as job growth there has been very strong. Housing in the city is getting more expensive but there are smaller towns to live in close enough by. And it is closer to the ND badlands and Theodore Roosevelt Natl Park where there is lots of great hiking and wildlife.

As far as property taxes...they are higher in ND than where I live in Minnesota...but income tax is lower. Each city would be different of course....but while I dont think property taxes are extreme they arent low either. The other taxes are reasonable (at least as far as I am concerned being a homeowner).

As for weather....the Bismarck area would see the mildest winter of the 4 big cities but also the hottest summers...though the extreme heat would not least more than a couple of days. But it can be 100+ there but also less humid than eastern ND where it is cooler. THe coldest winters by far would be Minot to Grand Forks.

Good luck

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 07-19-2008 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: add extra info

Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Check with the CVB in Valley City. www.hellovalley.com

We have:
-Houses in your price range
-Duck, goose, pheasant & deer hunting and lots of land that is open to the public
-Lake Ashtabula is 10 min to the closest boat landing from in town
-Some also fish in the Sheyenne River that winds thru town
-Our college has been listed by US News as one of the best small colleges for the last 10 years straight
-Lots of sports & activities for school age kids
-You can get pretty-much to anywhere in town in under 5 minutes
-Last but not least, last I heard, the software company at the Tech Center was still looking for people

Old 07-19-2008, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 38,175 times
Thanks everyone; I appreciate your input. Every little bit helps.

3-oaks, do you know what the average home pays in property tax in your area. I understand that it's based on value, but just an ordinary home is what I'm looking for, say in the region of 75,000 - 125,000.

Thanks,

scifidude

Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
scifidude....

This may prove helpful...it is on the Grand Forks city web page and used to show the compariable property tax rates among some ND cities. Most cities property taxes are around 2 pct of the assessed value

City of Grand Forks, North Dakota (http://www.grandforksgov.com/gfgov/home.nsf/d46a1d1eff04aaca8825729a00607d2e!OpenForm&Seq=1 - broken link)

Dan

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,018 times
Default Relocating to North Dakota - ask around

My family and I relocated to North Dakota. Keep in mind the majority of the ancestry are German Russian. Although I have to admit, it is a very clean state and the people welcome you at first, there are small towns around the capital which is Bismarck that hide their true colors. They are very good in hiding...I have been here for over 3 years now, and people continue asking me why we chose NOrth Dakota. If I were to charge 1.00 for every person that wants to know why, you can imagine my piggy bank. I have experienced racial issues although we are european descent. Everything from a gas attendant asking me " why did you move, wasn't there enough jobs, this is not a place for you to live in, you foreigners are taking our jobs, etc. This ignorant person was fired later on as I do report racism. Started a business and we were constantly harassed. Germans-Russians do NOT want to see people get ahead financially...they have to be the ONLY ones ahead of the game. Very jealous I have to admit. There are many other incidents we've experienced. However, they are to graphic to quote at this time. Please do your research very carefully about North Dakota and if you've moved and you;ve experienced racism, report it to certain political powerful people in Bismarck. They may make your stay more pleasant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifidude View Post
Hello all,

I've been researching many states in which to potentally move to and I've narrowed it down to just a few:

Wyoming
Oregon
Idaho
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota

All of these states have good and bad things. One of the things I cannot tolerate is long, hot summers. I doubt this is an issue in ND.

I don't mind cold as I've lived in some very cold places before.

What I'm looking for can summed up easily:

- Affordable housing (under 150,000)
- Great schools (low student/teacher ratio)
- Job opportunities (I'm a computer technician)
- Hunting, fishing, and hiking (within 30 minutes drive)

Does ND have decent hunting? Is there an abundance of public hunting land that people can take advantage of? Fishing is no big deal since you can fish almost anywhere with a license.

What about taxes? Does ND have killer property tax? Having a mortgage is bad enough without being killed with high taxes. I hear that ND has great schools, but does the state and various cities tax you to death to achieve this greatness?

From what I've read, I take it that ND is fairly conservative in its political outlook.

Anything else I should know that I haven't asked but anyone here doesn't mind volunteering up as far as cogent points of interest?

Thanks in advance.

Scifidude

Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM

180 posts, read 634,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu97 View Post
My family and I relocated to North Dakota. Keep in mind the majority of the ancestry are German Russian. Although I have to admit, it is a very clean state and the people welcome you at first, there are small towns around the capital which is Bismarck that hide their true colors. They are very good in hiding...I have been here for over 3 years now, and people continue asking me why we chose NOrth Dakota. If I were to charge 1.00 for every person that wants to know why, you can imagine my piggy bank. I have experienced racial issues although we are european descent. Everything from a gas attendant asking me " why did you move, wasn't there enough jobs, this is not a place for you to live in, you foreigners are taking our jobs, etc. This ignorant person was fired later on as I do report racism. Started a business and we were constantly harassed. Germans-Russians do NOT want to see people get ahead financially...they have to be the ONLY ones ahead of the game. Very jealous I have to admit. There are many other incidents we've experienced. However, they are to graphic to quote at this time. Please do your research very carefully about North Dakota and if you've moved and you;ve experienced racism, report it to certain political powerful people in Bismarck. They may make your stay more pleasant.
Are the ignorant / racist people in small towns near Bismarck, in Bismarck itself or both?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu97 View Post
Please do your research very carefully about North Dakota and if you've moved and you;ve experienced racism, report it to certain political powerful people in Bismarck. They may make your stay more pleasant.
What is this all about? The original poster never said he was a minority. Nor did he ask about "racism" there.
Good grief.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
We're getting off track a little. Let's keep it to the OP. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifidude View Post
Thanks everyone; I appreciate your input. Every little bit helps.

3-oaks, do you know what the average home pays in property tax in your area. I understand that it's based on value, but just an ordinary home is what I'm looking for, say in the region of 75,000 - 125,000.

Thanks,

scifidude
I think we pay around $1000 on a $49000 house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota