Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Can someone tell me what part of Fargo would be best for the better schools and less crime area?
Forgive me for almost laughing, but in other areas of the country, this is the first question asked. In Fargo, unless things have changed drastically, good schools are available in all neighborhoods, regardless of income.

Quote:
Can you also pinpoint neighborhood and schools for me? I have an acquaintance who is thinking bout a job offer in Fargo...not sure what part, but I just wanted to get a feel for them, since they have no internet access here, thank you in adcvance!!!
The neighborhood question is pertinent: depends on what age bracket and income level neighborhood you want. The growth is on the South side, with older demographic neighborhoods on the near north and near south side, older more affluent homes near the river, and a generally a college age population with higher number of rentals on the north side near NDSU. If you want neighborhoods if high number of children, generally but not always it would be in the moderately priced south end neighborhoods.

In Fargo, there are two separate school districts: Fargo and West Fargo. Some of Fargo is in West Fargo's school district, which also includes many of the smaller outlyings areas such as Harwood, Horace, etc. There are also private schools: Catholic, Lutheran, and evangelical. Contrary to many areas of the country, the private schools generally get students from families who have deep religious commitments, not from families escaping poor public school education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,765 times
Great news here...thank you much!!!!

No...actually glad you laughed at that question!!! Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,372 times
i moved to Dickinson 5 yrs ago from Dallas... i am white and i have 2 biracial children.. i love it up here. my kids can actually go outside and play and be kids... the schools here are very good... and we have not had any problems w/ racism. it is way more slow paced almost like a twlite zone.. but it is an awesome place to raise children....

Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 10,088 times
Smile My View of Blacks In North Dakota

As a former native North Dakotan having lived in the state for more than 60ty years (and have a home there as well), North Dakota's attitudes towards minorities, including Native Americans have mellowed considerably. I have had several out of state black friends visit ND and they have not experienced or sensed racism as they have in the respective cities they've come from. My former home is Bismarck, and although the black population is smaller there than in Fargo, I have several black friends in the community. I don't at all sense that blacks would be at all unwelcome in this state and I believe they would find it a nice place to live and raise a family.

Statistically, crime is very low, and homicides are the lowest in the nation per ca pita. Typically under 10 per year.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
Well, to add to this I am a out of stater black / latin american male married to a german north dakotan. Went to school up in Minot, left and wanted to come back. I enjoy the state and the people.

For those worried about diversity and all that, I just find it odd. What is better? A group of people who all look different but hate you, or, a group of people who all look the same but don't?? At what point do we stop worrying about the fact that there isn't many people who look like me and instead worry about how people actually treat you???

I would say for anyone reading this, North Dakota has a lot to offer regardless of what you look like. I think the big thing I have noticed out here also is the variety of mixed raced people. Lots of old german and norweigian grand parents happily with there mixed grand kids who for sure aren't close in color to them.

Out here I have actually had people come up to my wife and I and comment on how pretty our girls are. I mean literally stop us dead in our tracks to comment on them, speak to them, etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 31,027 times
I am returning to North Dakota because of the attitude toward diversity. I was born and raised in ND, but married an African American from North Carolina. We have vacationed there several times and my husband was so pleased with the way people acccepted us as a couple as well as our blended family. We are educated professional people yet in the south we have experienced racism from people of all ages, races and socioeconomic status. It became a way of life for us and we just accepted it until we went back to ND. As an example, my mother lives near an interracial couple in ND. The wife is white and is a bank vice president. After having children, he did not want them in daycare and chose to open his own daycare. It is licensed, run by a black man and has a lengthy waiting list. My mother and I didn't find this particularly odd but my husband couldn't believe it. It served to prove a point to me. This is where we need to raise our children. People are very kind in ND. Overall they want to help everyone. Read about the lost boys of Sudan when you have time. Fargo is one of the places that took them in. Good luck on your move. We love ND!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM

What part of north Carolina is your husband from? I was born there and grew up in North Carolina till I left for college.

North Dakota is something else for sure. like a diamond in the ruff.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 31,027 times
My husband is from Carthage, NC. I really like alot of things about NC and have dear friends here. We chose to move to ND because it appears to be the best place to raise our children. As you probably know, racial prejudice goes both ways in the south. It is just accepted that we have black churches and white churches, etc, etc. It has been difficult at times being and interracial family. People will be people wherever one goes, but we noticed a whole different attitude in North Dakota. People are so warm and caring. The crime rate is so minimal. Big change from where I am at! I feel blessed to be able to return to ND. Any info on the Fargo area that anyone would provide would be most appreciated!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM

I grew up in Fayetteville as my father was a soldier and stationed there. I liked my home town well enough, but it changed a lot once I got to highschool and from what I have been hearing is the least desirable city to live in. And you are right about that racism going both ways for sure. Seems people still live there in the mentality to settle scores one way or the other or feel a sense of blame or entitlement on both sides. Really stupid.

I got the same feelings when i first came here. I remember getting stopped the first time up here in ND when I just moved to Minot. Was trying to find a business and was lost and was going really slow. When I got stopped i figured I was going to get the usual like I would in parts of NC and the South, but the officer was most helpful, even had me follow him to where the place was, recommended some places to eat, etc.

I live in Fargo. What do you want to know?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:31 AM

109 posts, read 441,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
This is the most ridculous post I have read yet. Have you ever been here? I checked you on your other messages and said "I am from Massachusetts and have a mini farm in Vermont". For someone who lives here, your description is offbase and incorrect. People here are very welcoming of anyone.

Dan
perfectly put, Dan!

the people here are very "live and let live". if you, as an individual, are a good person, the people here will be nice. I know a couple of african americans in the bismarck/mandan area and they said they feel perfectly safe in north dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota