Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 PM

205 posts, read 729,171 times

Advertisements

In your original post, you mentioned an apartment close to a grocery store and mall. You might want to check out Kirkwood Manor in Bismarck which is within walking distance of a large Dan's Supermarket and Kirwood Mall, and on a bus line. The apartments are older brick and look nice from the outside. Otherwise I do not have any personal experience with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Prairierose...you are right about Kirkwood manor...they are well kept and spacious.Built in the 70's but has on property management and maintenance. They also expanded to the west in the 90's with newer apartment complexes. Very convenient...across the street to the east is Kirkwood mall, across the street to the west is a large Dan's supermarket. Only a few blocks from Sertoma park and the Missouri river all connected with walking-biking trails. Downtown is within walking distance...only 3 blocks north...and several national chain restaraunts along the main corridor on the way up the hill to downtown. Good location choice for someone who does not want to do a lot of driving.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 41,571 times
gaduchman, I wondered where all the Bismarck supporters were. So, what makes Bismarck perferable? The Capital and surrounding grounds are beautiful. The neighborhoods around that area look pleasant, as well. I look forward to your take.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 PM

prairierose, I'll look into that apartment complex. It sounds like a great place to live and anything within walking distance is a distinct advantage. Roloff, your additional comments continue to shape a picture of life in Bismarck.

Thanks to all of you for taking time to respond to this thread!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM

375 posts, read 1,380,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
gaduchman, I wondered where all the Bismarck supporters were. So, what makes Bismarck perferable?
Weather is better, construction continues, roads hold up well. Monster Jobs shows more availability there than anywhere else in the State. Last time thru there, the rest area had bison in the parking lot. Can't find that in GFK or Fargo!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM

gaduchman, thanks for the follow up. I can't imagine bison in the rest area, but that would be a memorable moment. It sounds like both cities offer great opportunities and diverse options. Something for everyone. It's going to be a tough decision.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 PM

309 posts, read 990,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
Dan, I'm grateful to hear that flooding is no longer a concern. Winter weather is ideal. It sounds like summers are milder in GF, as well. Thanks!

mtlogger, I can't wait to hear what you discover.
We took the train from Whitefish to Devils Lake. My wife inherited her Dad's farm - like we needed another one. Anyway the trip out was pleasant and we enjoyed not having to drive for a change. The area above the lake is interesting - flat mostly, with some trees and has generous water supplies
- which if you've been around farms at all, water is a commodity worthwhile keeping. After preliminary inspection of the buildings we marked a few for demo and will likely call the local Vol FD to come out next Spring and have an event.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 AM

10-affordable-places-to-retire-on-the-water: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 AM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Interesting article gaduchman...thanks for sharing. However, I'm not sure what is deemed affordable. Living in Bismarck, I can tell you affordable it is not. Most lots in these riverfront developments start around 100,000. The homes in these developments have to fit a certain criteria. Most of the "twinhomes" start you at around 400,000 and up. And most of the homes along the Missouri river in Bismarck-Mandan are in the 500,00 to over a million dollar range. It would probably be affordable for an affluant retiree...but not your regualr "joe". It would be nice if you could buy some land and build a nice comfortable home along the river, but the area around Bismarck-Mandan, is still reserved for the richer folk. There are areas where developers are building man made lakes that have river access via canals. These are more affordable, but they are not on the river...just river access.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm moving into my Dad's summer house in New Town next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota