Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatCooper View Post
We are moving to Oakes for job (and we like the town) but now I am really looking forard to trying some of the local food!! What area is considered the German/Russian triangle?
If you get a North Dakota map, draw a line from about Bowman up to Rugby and then down around Ellendale, and you have a fairly rough approximation of the German Russian triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM

122 posts, read 427,699 times
I just find more interesting things to eat every week we're here.

One of our farm bud's cousins delivered us a deer the other night. Vicki helped him skin it, and the next day we butchered everything but the 4 leg quarters. Those we packed on ice and DH & I butchered those Friday night. About 49lbs of venison in the freezer, and a little over a quart of venison demi glace.

Yesterday I made two apricot Kuchen! Lordy that's good stuff.

I'm loving the ingredients here. The meat and dairy all seem to be so much better than in Ca. Just can't find any lamb Otherwise this is a wonderful place for food.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 PM

10 posts, read 51,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Knoephla soup is a creamy soup, usually chicken with potatoes and "knoephla" (little dough dumplings).
The chicken is your own doing as true knoephla soup has no meat in it. The broth is cream and butter with no meat stock or bullion. I've been making/eating knoephla soup for a long time and I have yet to find anyone that puts any kind of meat in it. I've had it with celery, carrots and even corn.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman View Post
The chicken is your own doing as true knoephla soup has no meat in it. The broth is cream and butter with no meat stock or bullion. I've been making/eating knoephla soup for a long time and I have yet to find anyone that puts any kind of meat in it. I've had it with celery, carrots and even corn.
Oops, I should have put chicken stock. Pretty much every knoephla recipe I've ever seen has chicken stock or bullion involved.

Last edited by TravisW; 11-20-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 PM

163 posts, read 215,463 times
Knoephla is German for Button, hence, Kase is German for cheese. I think, however, you should pronounce Kuchen with more of a K sound at the beginning of the second syllable than a G sound.

We're in the German Russian area of SD and our language is the same here as there. However, we eat chislic and for some reason it seems that's not familiar up there.

We make our chislic from lamb.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM

That sounds good! I'll have to try it.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM

309 posts, read 991,472 times
My parents made it in Gary - back in the 20's when their first born, was obviously born. It's dumplings in chicken and potato soup. Sticks to your ribs kinda food, they grew up on in Kiev long time ago. There are plenty of Greeks, Germans and Russians that live in that part of the USA that know how to properly cook lamb.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 AM

It could be one of those kind of days! Yum.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 PM

17 posts, read 63,961 times
You can find lamb at middle eastern restaurants like Ali Baba's or Aladdin's in Fargo. Also, there are some international grocery stores in Fargo that offer things around that line.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Next time we make a trip to Fargo we'll have to check it out. We love Middle Eastern food - so it willl be fun to hunt for things the pantry is low on. Thanks for the hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota