Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well here's toasting to you and everyone else here on Dec. 25th young lady.......
have a marvelous time
I second that toast and wish everybody a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:05 PM

232 posts, read 278,648 times
Bridge st finally reopen but intersection still not done though

Old 01-07-2018, 09:29 AM

545 posts, read 1,101,228 times
I'm interested in moving to the East Stroudsburg/Pocono area. I'm 26 and live in central NJ currently. My goal is by September 2018. Does anyone have advice for me? I will probably make the move without a job, and look for work once I get there. Also, if anyone is looking to rent out a cheap room, I would be interested Let me know

Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
I'm interested in moving to the East Stroudsburg/Pocono area. I'm 26 and live in central NJ currently. My goal is by September 2018. Does anyone have advice for me? I will probably make the move without a job, and look for work once I get there. Also, if anyone is looking to rent out a cheap room, I would be interested Let me know

Read the 'help for new residents' thread. Your central NJ jobs will pay more money and have more opportunity. Have you tried applying to any companies in PA for work? Find the job first and then move.

That applies no matter where you want to move unless you have a skill that is in high demand in that particular area of our Country. Of course that recommendation would not apply if you hit the Power Ball Saturday night - but then you would not be asking this question.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Read the 'help for new residents' thread. Your central NJ jobs will pay more money and have more opportunity. Have you tried applying to any companies in PA for work? Find the job first and then move.

That applies no matter where you want to move unless you have a skill that is in high demand in that particular area of our Country. Of course that recommendation would not apply if you hit the Power Ball Saturday night - but then you would not be asking this question.
My husband and I moved many times, but there was always a job. Even then, it felt a bit dicey to me. What if it didn't work out? I've read that a few times on C-D. People move half way across the country for a better job and have been told a few months in that they're "not a good fit." What does that even mean?

Your wife quits her job, you take your kids away from their friends, and pay to have your household goods moved. The last time that happened, the employer paid $xx. We still paid thousands. We couldn't find a place to rent, so I stayed with my parents (we loved those two months) while my husband rented a room from a co-worker. He'd known him from a previous job and location, so it was fine.

I've never wanted to move to a new place without a job. You don't know anyone. You have no friends there. There is no support.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My husband and I moved many times, but there was always a job. Even then, it felt a bit dicey to me. What if it didn't work out? I've read that a few times on C-D. People move half way across the country for a better job and have been told a few months in that they're "not a good fit." What does that even mean?

Your wife quits her job, you take your kids away from their friends, and pay to have your household goods moved. The last time that happened, the employer paid $xx. We still paid thousands. We couldn't find a place to rent, so I stayed with my parents (we loved those two months) while my husband rented a room from a co-worker. He'd known him from a previous job and location, so it was fine.

I've never wanted to move to a new place without a job. You don't know anyone. You have no friends there. There is no support.

I always told the younger generation to look for a new company being built and apply. Getting into any business on the ground floor, when they first open their doors, gives employees a tremendous advantage. There is no way to go but up for dedicated employees. Of course you have to prove yourself to these new businesses; but they do not have all the problems of our established businesses where nepotism/favoritism and butt kissing can run the show.

Of course moving for a new job is always a gamble. I had one trucking job that moved to Carlisle PA and I never sold our house. I rented and apartment with four other transferred workers and came home on my weekends. I am glad that I did because the company went belly up in five years. But things like that happen. In my case I needed those years for my thirty year retirement. I actually only had twenty years + the five in Carlisle but I then picked up another five with another Teamster company.

Everybody is different and we do what we have to do to survive - that's life.

PS I just saw on WNEP 16 that Adidas and Patagonia were building two large warehouses in Hanover Township. Of course I do not know what they will pay or what benefits they will offer. But, if I was looking for a job; my antenna would go up and I would check out both of these new employers.

Last edited by fisheye; 01-12-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I always told the younger generation to look for a new company being built and apply. Getting into any business on the ground floor, when they first open their doors, gives employees a tremendous advantage. There is no way to go but up for dedicated employees. Of course you have to prove yourself to these new businesses; but they do not have all the problems of our established businesses where nepotism/favoritism and butt kissing can run the show.

Of course moving for a new job is always a gamble. I had one trucking job that moved to Carlisle PA and I never sold our house. I rented and apartment with four other transferred workers and came home on my weekends. I am glad that I did because the company went belly up in five years. But things like that happen. In my case I needed those years for my thirty year retirement. I actually only had twenty years + the five in Carlisle but I then picked up another five with another Teamster company.

Everybody is different and we do what we have to do to survive - that's life.

PS I just saw on WNEP 16 that Adidas and Patagonia were building two large warehouses in Hanover Township. Of course I do not know what they will pay or what benefits they will offer. But, if I was looking for a job; my antenna would go up and I would check out both of these new employers.
I have always pondered why when people are transferring to a different state/city, do people buy a house. I always suggest to rent first, get a feel for the area, driving around looking on weekends, and of course, when you find a house that you like, talk to people already living there. Yes, knock on their doors and get their feedback on how they like the neighborhood. Ask them what they like about it and what they don't like about it. But to me, buying a home right away, is not constructive. Most of all, before purchasing a home, take a few drives thru the neighborhood at night time.

Good advice Fisheye

Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have always pondered why when people are transferring to a different state/city, do people buy a house. I always suggest to rent first, get a feel for the area, driving around looking on weekends, and of course, when you find a house that you like, talk to people already living there. Yes, knock on their doors and get their feedback on how they like the neighborhood. Ask them what they like about it and what they don't like about it. But to me, buying a home right away, is not constructive. Most of all, before purchasing a home, take a few drives thru the neighborhood at night time.

Good advice Fisheye
Great advice cremebrulee! I checked out Carlisle while I worked down there. I found one house in Perry County that was on 8 acres with a stream. I wanted to move and the price was right; but my other half did not like the modular house - she likes custom built or charm or she simply had cold feet. But that location would have been a drive to work so I did not fight her on the issue.

I hate these signs we see on the side of our highways for new or used cars: Come on down, no credit, no problem. We encourage people to overspend and that goes for everything; including homes. I liked the old days where you had to come up with a substantial down payment - you had to work and save to buy. You also had to show the banks how you would pay for your 'wish list'. I think it is good for humans to work hard for a goal.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Our experience was a little different. Yes, if I did it again, I would have the job. But this was our experience

We wanted to leave long Island, stress and kids were coming up on high school. We lived in a not so good area and the kids went to parochial school. Luckily we had a business and a few homes to sell so financially we were ok for a while. We had a choice of Pittsburgh or France, but I bailed on France because being the only French speaker in the family, I just didn't want that pressure.

So we decided on Pittsburgh for the schools. We sold our business to a national chain and they kept telling us we could get jobs with their branches here in Pittsburgh. We toured schools in the area and let the kids choose. The reason was that they were the people going to the schools so they had to be happy. Then we found a house that we could afford and moved after we sold everything. It was exciting for a fresh new start. Oh yes, we also had a vacation home in Lake Ariel that we kept and rented for a while.

Well six years later, Pittsburgh didn't work out for us as adults. The kids thrived and had a blast. But it is very hard to get good decent jobs when you do not know anyone in Pittsburgh. It is really by word of mouth. I found a job thru an agency and stayed there for 2 years, found another job closer to home and stayed until I was downsized after over 2 years. Then I was out of work for 10 months, went back to school, got my CDL license, and then at that stage we had decided to leave Pittsburgh when our youngest finishes high school in June, so I went back to office work for a few months.

My hubby wasn't so lucky. He was out of work for 18 months, found a job with his old company but commuted to Youngstown for 10 months, that branch closed down. He went back to school, got his CDL license, got a union job but was bottom of the ladder so was on call. He worked for 6 months, was quiet in the winter, went back to his old company back on Long Island and lived with another guy. Lease was up 3 months later, so the other guy decided to leave the island and hubby didn't want to sign a lease. He contacted his old co in Pittsburgh to see if they had any jobs in WIlkes Barre and they did. So he has been with them for 18 months now, its union and luckily last winter he had a bid, this winter not so lucky so he is off work again. Hopefully its just a short break ; if not, he will have to start looking again. He has been living in the Lake Ariel house for 18 months while I live in Pittsburgh. Lets just say this kid of living is very old now.

So now our house in Pittsburgh is for sale and our exit is soon. Its been an adventure ; both good and bad. My logic is that we got one chance with the kids education and we were not going to blow it. They ended up picking a fantastic school (number 1 in the area), and have had so many great experiences that they would never have had on Long Island. The teenage years have not been too bad and it was good that we were around to guide them.
June 2018 cant come fast enough. Hopefully we will be team drivers and our next phase will begin. Sorry its long, but I just wanted to give a different perspective.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Our experience was a little different. Yes, if I did it again, I would have the job. But this was our experience

We wanted to leave long Island, stress and kids were coming up on high school. We lived in a not so good area and the kids went to parochial school. Luckily we had a business and a few homes to sell so financially we were ok for a while. We had a choice of Pittsburgh or France, but I bailed on France because being the only French speaker in the family, I just didn't want that pressure.

So we decided on Pittsburgh for the schools. We sold our business to a national chain and they kept telling us we could get jobs with their branches here in Pittsburgh. We toured schools in the area and let the kids choose. The reason was that they were the people going to the schools so they had to be happy. Then we found a house that we could afford and moved after we sold everything. It was exciting for a fresh new start. Oh yes, we also had a vacation home in Lake Ariel that we kept and rented for a while.

Well six years later, Pittsburgh didn't work out for us as adults. The kids thrived and had a blast. But it is very hard to get good decent jobs when you do not know anyone in Pittsburgh. It is really by word of mouth. I found a job thru an agency and stayed there for 2 years, found another job closer to home and stayed until I was downsized after over 2 years. Then I was out of work for 10 months, went back to school, got my CDL license, and then at that stage we had decided to leave Pittsburgh when our youngest finishes high school in June, so I went back to office work for a few months.

My hubby wasn't so lucky. He was out of work for 18 months, found a job with his old company but commuted to Youngstown for 10 months, that branch closed down. He went back to school, got his CDL license, got a union job but was bottom of the ladder so was on call. He worked for 6 months, was quiet in the winter, went back to his old company back on Long Island and lived with another guy. Lease was up 3 months later, so the other guy decided to leave the island and hubby didn't want to sign a lease. He contacted his old co in Pittsburgh to see if they had any jobs in WIlkes Barre and they did. So he has been with them for 18 months now, its union and luckily last winter he had a bid, this winter not so lucky so he is off work again. Hopefully its just a short break ; if not, he will have to start looking again. He has been living in the Lake Ariel house for 18 months while I live in Pittsburgh. Lets just say this kid of living is very old now.

So now our house in Pittsburgh is for sale and our exit is soon. Its been an adventure ; both good and bad. My logic is that we got one chance with the kids education and we were not going to blow it. They ended up picking a fantastic school (number 1 in the area), and have had so many great experiences that they would never have had on Long Island. The teenage years have not been too bad and it was good that we were around to guide them.
June 2018 cant come fast enough. Hopefully we will be team drivers and our next phase will begin. Sorry its long, but I just wanted to give a different perspective.
Wow! Plans are great...then life intrudes. June is just around the corner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania