Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,110,772 times

Advertisements

I have plenty of fishing yaks, your covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,843,408 times
Hope this guy is making some bear burgers, because to me, hunting should only be for food. Hunting for a trophy is pretty sick in my book.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post

Thank hunter must be very proud - he should be.
I don't know about that...this bear didn't sound too vicious....he sounds more like the neighborhood mascot....probably the equivalent of shooting a stray dog....this bear trusted people, so it doesn't sound like there was much sport in taking down this Yogi Bear.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:49 AM

996 posts, read 1,059,370 times
haha- once again:

The bear was shot and killed within the confines of Pa State Game Lands, miles away from town and the old man's trailer.
The harvest was fully investigated by the PGC and all actions by the hunter were perfectly legal.

You should be pointing fingers at the old guy and others that ILLEGALLY fed the Bear.

Animal lovers like you fail to realize that a FED bear is a DEAD bear.

Since you appear to be far removed from your food source, next time you go to supermarket, thank the fairy god mother for creating those dye and hormone injected packages of meat in the grocer's coolers....

Most hunters would not shoot a stray dog (unless it was in the woods chasing a deer - legal to shoot per PGC regs).

I personally would not pull the trigger on a stray domesticated dog, but when it comes to coyotes or feral cats, well, that is a whole different ball game..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM

159 posts, read 458,745 times
Nice Bear. I read all about this trophy on the HuntingPA website. I wish I had shot it.
I will refrain from the whole hunting debate since both sides have good arguments and neither side ever concedes. I will say that I can't stomach hypocrites that cry if a deer or bear gets killed, but sits down to eat fish, chicken or beef. It seems it's ok to eat animals but not kill them.
A big thumbs up to VARMINT BLASTER for trying to educate the non-hunters.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM

I never said I was anti-hunting....I'm not anti-hunting, I just think that all animals killed should be used for food, not trophies.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,352,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I never said I was anti-hunting....I'm not anti-hunting, I just think that all animals killed should be used for food, not trophies.
I have to agree. It seems like a major waste of meat as well as a total disrespect for the environment to kill for "trophy" animals.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
How do you and Magritte know the hunter is not going to eat the meat?
Would you feel better if he ate the meat and tossed the head and hide into the landfill?

Bear may not be the best choice of meats - it's sort of stringy and greasy, but it's good in stews and for roasts - sort of like chuck meat.

Tell me go phillies and Magritte:

Do you own shoes, belts or coats made from leather products?

Do any of the female members of your family use cosmetics or perfumes?

Unless both of you can answer NO to all those items, then your statements are hypocritical.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 PM

177 posts, read 467,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
How do you and Magritte know the hunter is not going to eat the meat?
Would you feel better if he ate the meat and tossed the head and hide into the landfill?

Bear may not be the best choice of meats - it's sort of stringy and greasy, but it's good in stews and for roasts - sort of like chuck meat.

Tell me go phillies and Magritte:

Do you own shoes, belts or coats made from leather products?

Do any of the female members of your family use cosmetics or perfumes?

Unless both of you can answer NO to all those items, then your statements are hypocritical.
I was waiting for the cow and cosmetics argument. Surprised it took this long to be brought up.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
I was waiting for the cow and cosmetics argument. Surprised it took this long to be brought up.
Yup - reminds me of Volvo drivers with the PETA stickers on their bumper, as they drive around nice & comfy in their heated leather seats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania