Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,625 times

Advertisements

I heard, then saw the first flock of geese coming in to spend the night on a small eddy of the Lehigh River yesterday.

What a great sound - trumpeting the arrivial of SPRING !!!!

It was a hard, cold, (sometimes brutally cold) winter with thick heavy crusty snow that took it's toll and tested the determination and survival skills of many critters - both 2 legged & 4 legged.

But I like winter - don't know about the rest of you.

I shot this pic yesterday - which is a small lake located on SGL near my house. My dog drug me there for a walk.

Post up a wintry pic if you have one and share your story behind it.
(calling Mathrak - the best photog around IMO)....

Here's mine:

Moosehead Lake - located about a mile from the nearest paved road smack dab in the middle of SGL. This area is loaded with wildlife of all types - including a pair of otters that use the hillsides as their personal playground by creating slides that look like half-pipes the snowboarders use.

One of my favorite get-away and forget your problems place.
Price of admission - a few hundred calories burned via a walk along wooded trails.

In a couple of weeks the bird houses will be inhabited again, the frogs will be creeping, and the salamanders and other slimy critters will doing their thing in the many vernal pools in the area. The smell of new life will fill the air..

Dang, I wish Manny Gordon was still with us so he could shout "ENJOY ENJOY - THE GREAT OUTDOORS of NEPA".

Just trying to liven up the place, so join in if you have a pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:56 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
That is a really nice image! Good photography, VB!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 AM

400 posts, read 738,749 times
Hi - I lurk in this forum sometimes, as NEPA is one of my favorite places anywhere. Spent many summers in the Honesdale area.

Nice picture, and I also applaud the coming of spring!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM

30,541 posts, read 16,236,133 times
I like winter too!

with the new upgrades, I haven't figured out how to post pics. Can't do it like I used to. Post pics, I mean.

maybe this weekend, I'll have time to figure it out.

I hate puter upgrades. sigh

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
I heard, then saw the first flock of geese coming in to spend the night on a small eddy of the Lehigh River yesterday.
Heard one go over the other night about 3 days ago, only ones I've heard.

I await the arrival of spring too, this was first year in my life in a house with oil heat and I'm not liking it all, really not much choice in the matter. I cringe everytime the thing goes on as I hear it sucking up another few bucks.

That will all change this spring and summer as the 30 year old Van Wert coal boiler from my old house will be installed.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
I heard a flock today. I hope that it is catching!

That groundhog promised us spring in a hurry - I expect him to deliver! I have had enough of the snow and ice. I want to start cleaning up my yard of all the branches from a hard winter. Can’t wait to cut the first new grass.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times

Taken last year when I wintered in Antarctica for the second time in the last three years. I'm standing on Cormorant Island looking back at Anvers Island, Mt. William is in the center-left. It's about a 5,200 ft. high peak.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 PM

224 posts, read 228,728 times
The Geese 'winter over ' in my neck of the woods, they have a large golf course, a State run Dairy farm, State Park and Gameland, a large acred NJ Insurance 'Campus' as well as an equally large State School for the Deaf...all with ponds and feeder streams to the Delaware as well as the Delaware and Raritan Canal, a major breeding area.
They are already breaking into their mating prep...big Ganders squaring off and honking, flapping their wings, the girls acting all coy,
First real sign of Spring here is the Forsythia buds starting to swell in the Hollows facing southwest, and the first big splash this afternoon of a large Carp as I was walking my Dog along the Delaware and Raritan Canal around three this afternoon...Scared the 'bejeezus' out of both us us...just like it has for the last 11 years.
Life is good

Coalman and Fisheye et al. Enjoy the the impending Spring... Heading down to Island Beach State Park at the shore to get my yearly Beach Buggy/Fishing permit...I usually wait for 'Earth Day' in April, but I'm getting antsy after this loooong winter.

P.S. Coalman, wall paper is all removed...wasn't much, just a few feet above the tiled walls and behind the toilet and 'female' toliet... thanks for the tip.

Last edited by coalboy; 03-04-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
A friend of mine said that she has been seeing flocks of snow geese lately heading North, Northeast. I told her that I'm so used to hearing and seeing Canadian Geese that it never occurred to me that there could be snow geese going over. She said to listen for them around 5 pm in the first part of this month. She was right about hearing geese at that time, but so far all I see are the Canadian ones, not the snow geese. I have seen huge flocks of the Snow geese in corn fields near by parents house is South Jersey but would love to see them in the air.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM

224 posts, read 228,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
A friend of mine said that she has been seeing flocks of snow geese lately heading North, Northeast. I told her that I'm so used to hearing and seeing Canadian Geese that it never occurred to me that there could be snow geese going over. She said to listen for them around 5 pm in the first part of this month. She was right about hearing geese at that time, but so far all I see are the Canadian ones, not the snow geese. I have seen huge flocks of the Snow geese in corn fields near by parents house is South Jersey but would love to see them in the air.
The Geese you are referencing are called Canada Geese not Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania