Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,588 times

Advertisements

All over this "western fringe", as I call it, born-and-raised local people have been condescending to the people from the big city areas. I used to live up north of the Binghamton area in the 80's, and even back then there were a lot of Long Islanders and City people moving in, retired cops, Italians (and they were a lot more non-ethnic up there then we are here), mostly buying or building big houses, old farmsteads, and becoming big-time hunters, etc.
People considered them rude and arrogant. Most did not bring crime with them there, but the locals there too had enough of a decline with the railroads gone, the factories declining, etc., so there was already a welfare state and drug use from the locals for some time, even in the small towns and rural counties. Just an observation. Here in NEPA, there was always already plenty of ethnic diversity (but not much Hispanic), but the same problems with the local people after the "decline", even before the advent of a lot of people from out of town. Here too, it seems even the locals over the decades have more "city" street-smarts and urban intelligence than those in Upstate NY, which is a lot more Norman-Rockwellish in places. We've found most people here are friendly but keep boundaries too, as they should. If newcomers fit in and are productive, there shouldn't be a problem. Yes, it's more of a businesslike and often cliquish area, family/church oriented etc., and more often than not people don't come around with a welcome wagon, but what's wrong with that? We've gradually met more people, and though most do their own thing and keep to themselves, it's not hard to strike up a pleasant conversation with just about anyone. Just have to have tact and something interesting to say to begin with.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Sorry, but I disagreee strongly, I am a friendly outgoing and polite person...people here stare, hardly say thank you and many walk around unkempt and like they just rolled out of bed. Manners and common courtsey are NOT on display daily. It seems it is more concentrated in some areas than others, but the STARING IS CITY WIDE! IT IS RUDE AND UNCALLED FOR...DIDN'T MOMMY'S HERE TEACH THAT?
Very true. I don't know what it is about this area, but I find that common too. I'll hold a door open for someone and 8 times out of 10, they won't say thank you. People in supermarkets are rude and don't move out of the way when you say "excuse me" coming down the aisle. I see lots of people who don't shower daily either.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Very true. I don't know what it is about this area, but I find that common too. I'll hold a door open for someone and 8 times out of 10, they won't say thank you. People in supermarkets are rude and don't move out of the way when you say "excuse me" coming down the aisle. I see lots of people who don't shower daily either.

ditto here

Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM

on topic---racism against hispanics here remains high imho--even in a church setting---something i never encountered til i returned here-----again many outsiders(those appearing different or from another area are treated differently here)--in my neighborhood the friendly people tend to be those that have relocated from other areas and the troublesome ones tend to be those that have NEVER left this little town

Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Eh, I think you see what you want to see. *shrug*

Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM

135 posts, read 230,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
true--- my fantasy land comment was meant to be sarcastic--good post
Yeah I know . After re-reading my post, maybe I was a little bit harsh about the Abingtons. Not all are like that but there seems to be this conformity (keeping up with the Jones, rude police officers, and distancing themselves from the Valley Cities). OTOH, while racism does occur in that area, I noticed back when I was in school the very few who were not 90% White (again social construct) blended better in the school system. Meaning, individuality seemed to be more important than race although racial stereotypes did occur. I would think the city schools would lean more towards social segregation and racial solidarity because it's a lot less than 90% White. (e.g. Hispanics sticking together, Blacks sticking together, and the rest are Whites or Asians).

We're all guilty of this labeling nonsense and it's difficult to clear that out of our minds. At the end of the day, we have to understand race is a social construct developed by humans and that there's only one race-- the human race. There should be no such thing as a Black problem or White problem or Hispanic problem-- It's a human problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Eh, I think you see what you want to see. *shrug*
smh. and I think you are blind to reality.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
Yeah I know . After re-reading my post, maybe I was a little bit harsh about the Abingtons. Not all are like that but there seems to be this conformity (keeping up with the Jones, rude police officers, and distancing themselves from the Valley Cities). OTOH, while racism does occur in that area, I noticed back when I was in school the very few who were not 90% White (again social construct) blended better in the school system. Meaning, individuality seemed to be more important than race although racial stereotypes did occur. I would think the city schools would lean more towards social segregation and racial solidarity because it's a lot less than 90% White. (e.g. Hispanics sticking together, Blacks sticking together, and the rest are Whites or Asians).

We're all guilty of this labeling nonsense and it's difficult to clear that out of our minds. At the end of the day, we have to understand race is a social construct developed by humans and that there's only one race-- the human race. There should be no such thing as a Black problem or White problem or Hispanic problem-- It's a human problem.
BRAVO AND AMEN! IT IS FUNNY MY SONS SCHOOL PRINCIPAL HAS CREATED A NEW ISM ALL ON HER OWN it is New Yorkism, she told one mother she was not allowed on school property, another she argued with ove the challenging concept of "...the girls walk to their Uncle's and I pick them up from there...", and for me, she created a whole rule book. Only common thread, yup we are all orginally from NYS! lol

BTW John, I had no problem with the French in Pairs or Strassburg, and the cemetary in Luxemborg is a true thing of beauty, we saw Gen. Patton and my husband felt so honored, at one point he was in the 2nd Armor Div, Hell on Wheels, and Patton's is the only conspicry (sp?) theory I ever believed in! he knew exactly what the Russians intentions were and history proved him correct!

The French, German, Belguim and Lux people do remember what we did for them but sadly as with most of our heros, those that lived with it and through it are dying off. Racism is ugly and it is alive and well everywhere, so folks just hide it better and they are TRULY THE MOST DANGEROUS!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post

====wish i could rep you

Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
BRAVO AND AMEN! IT IS FUNNY MY SONS SCHOOL PRINCIPAL HAS CREATED A NEW ISM ALL ON HER OWN it is New Yorkism, she told one mother she was not allowed on school property, another she argued with ove the challenging concept of "...the girls walk to their Uncle's and I pick them up from there...", and for me, she created a whole rule book. Only common thread, yup we are all orginally from NYS! lol

BTW John, I had no problem with the French in Pairs or Strassburg, and the cemetary in Luxemborg is a true thing of beauty, we saw Gen. Patton and my husband felt so honored, at one point he was in the 2nd Armor Div, Hell on Wheels, and Patton's is the only conspicry (sp?) theory I ever believed in! he knew exactly what the Russians intentions were and history proved him correct!

The French, German, Belguim and Lux people do remember what we did for them but sadly as with most of our heros, those that lived with it and through it are dying off. Racism is ugly and it is alive and well everywhere, so folks just hide it better and they are TRULY THE MOST DANGEROUS!
--wish i could rep you--thanks for keeping it real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania