Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast30 View Post
We're all guilty of this labeling nonsense and it's difficult to clear that out of our minds. At the end of the day, we have to understand race is a social construct developed by humans and that there's only one race-- the human race. There should be no such thing as a Black problem or White problem or Hispanic problem-- It's a human problem.
BINGO!!! Unfortunately, many times it is liberal organizations who try to reinforce the divisions in order to advance their interests. IIRC, the NAACP recently complained that there were not enough minority teachers in Scranton to reflect the city's demographics. Well, somehow my Puerto Rican son is thriving at school with his white teachers.

I don't care if the teachers at my kids' schools are white, black, Latino, or Asian. What I want is teachers that are qualified. If the school district can find minority teachers that are qualified, that's fine. But don't lower the standards in order to increase the minority staff.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
smh. and I think you are blind to reality.
No. Not really. Just choose to look for the good instead of the bad. Being negative is easy. Looking for the positive is a challenge. A good challenge to be sure though!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,319 times
Im reflecting on this whole thread.
I was on vacation last year in another country, I stayed at a very nice Resort. the first thing I noticed when we checked in was a very prominent sign which said" Your not home, dont expect it to be that way" After pondering it for a bit, I came to the realization that it was not offensive or racist, or prejudiced it was simply true.... When in Rome.. When in a foreiign country, conform to their ways..When you come to the USA why shouldnt it be the same?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
I was on vacation last year in another country, I stayed at a very nice Resort. the first thing I noticed when we checked in was a very prominent sign which said" Your not home, dont expect it to be that way" After pondering it for a bit, I came to the realization that it was not offensive or racist, or prejudiced it was simply true.... When in Rome.. When in a foreiign country, conform to their ways..When you come to the USA why shouldnt it be the same?
Because the US was founded on personal freedom and individuality. We were founded on the notion that each man (human) had his own destiny, his own right to sought out life, liberty and happiness the way he sees it.

We are a melting pot of hundreds, if not thousands, of cultures. If we are a society that truly prizes individual freedom we must recognize and protect the idea that different people are not undesirable or Un-American.

ETA: BTW, what country was that?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,464 times
Quote:
When we declare a national language ( and we should) it wil save us millions upon millions of dollars in duplication fees alone. Individual freedoom is one of our nations assests but we live in a collective society so we must have some common ground upon which we all stand. Language I feel, is the most basic, least intrusive and most easily adaptable. It does not infringe on religion, home, food, education, housing, and employment. Every European country demands its children to take English since it is the declared business language of the world. Salt Lake City Utah, thrives because missionaires travel to other countruies and as a by product of the religous work, learn difficult and hard to master languages. We really need to start making smart decisions. Education worked with immersion of foreign language students for decdaes, sometimes going back to the olds ways is the most radical change we can make.

Looking for the positive does not mean denying the negative, with out seeing it how can it be changed! I think of Abe Lincoln, Dr. King, President kennedy, Gahndi, Mother Teresa and many other great and true caring and loving humanitarians...they always looked at the negative and took it and worked it towards positive. No adult has the right to sit in judgement of others who contribute time, effort and money to making their world a better place. Only immature shallow and self absorbed individuals think they have all the answers. Walk a mile in someone elses shoes, bedfore you condemn them for their destination.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
When we declare a national language ( and we should) it wil save us millions upon millions of dollars in duplication fees alone. Individual freedoom is one of our nations assests but we live in a collective society so we must have some common ground upon which we all stand. Language I feel, is the most basic, least intrusive and most easily adaptable. It does not infringe on religion, home, food, education, housing, and employment. Every European country demands its children to take English since it is the declared business language of the world. Salt Lake City Utah, thrives because missionaires travel to other countruies and as a by product of the religous work, learn difficult and hard to master languages. We really need to start making smart decisions. Education worked with immersion of foreign language students for decdaes, sometimes going back to the olds ways is the most radical change we can make.

Looking for the positive does not mean denying the negative, with out seeing it how can it be changed! I think of Abe Lincoln, Dr. King, President kennedy, Gahndi, Mother Teresa and many other great and true caring and loving humanitarians...they always looked at the negative and took it and worked it towards positive. No adult has the right to sit in judgement of others who contribute time, effort and money to making their world a better place. Only immature shallow and self absorbed individuals think they have all the answers. Walk a mile in someone elses shoes, bedfore you condemn them for their destination.
Funny. I would think a sign of self absorption is the idea that only your language is the one that should be used and accepted in a country like America. Furthermore, no one said people shouldn't learn English whilst living in an English speaking country. Some of just don't have a stroke when we hear a foreign language being spoken in a store or on a bus.

I think that students who come here from other countries should be expected to take a ESL course for one year before being mainstreamed into classrooms. I find it both telling and sad that you are touting European nations as requiring their children to be multi-lingual yet haven't said a peep about Americans being dully monolingual.

Every adult has the right to judge for themselves what they feel about a statement, a situation, a perception. How silly to believe we don't have that right! I agree people should take a step back from their own lives and experiences and try to view the world through other people's eyes; only then will one come to a more informed understanding of how the world is not so black and white.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,319 times
Mags,
Dominican Republic...Anf FWIW we WERE a melting pot at one time... defined as many cultures "melting" into the American culture, now we are moving toward a divided country the very concept of "Melting Pot" has been vanquished by the bleeding heart liberals.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,412 times
If anyone wants to see if racism and bigotry is alive and well in NEPA, look no further than this thread.

I don't see how we are no longer a melting pot, or the idea that it has been vanquished by the liberals. Maybe you could clarify.

Also, your definition of "Melting Pot" is incorrect, what you are describing is assimilation, something that americans have long had a distaste for.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Looks like the OP has left the building.....

I believe the US is the only major country in the world where being bi-lingual is not a common thing. Go to any other country and you will find residents speaking two or three languages. I find it embarrassing when I travel and the only language that I'm fluent in is English. We are a nation of immigrants. Some of us have just been here longer then others.

Speaking to the OP's query, does this negative attitude towards people knowing another language and having a hispanic heritage mean that you are going to judge the OP and her husband as somehow being bad? If you've read her post, she and her husband are professionals thinking of moving to the area, aren't they the kind of people that you want here?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Mags,
Dominican Republic...Anf FWIW we WERE a melting pot at one time... defined as many cultures "melting" into the American culture, now we are moving toward a divided country the very concept of "Melting Pot" has been vanquished by the bleeding heart liberals.
I prefer more of a liberal salad approach - all mixed together but you can still see all of the ingredients for what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania