Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,994 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, Old Forge pizza tastes better because they make their own cheese----which unlike commercial grade cheese does not become bitter during the baking process.

I don't care for NY style pizza because it tends to too much cheese, the tangy sauce flavor gets overwhelmed and the cheese turns into a wad. A long lasting wad. I'd rather listen to Nancy Grace re-runs.

I like Sabatinis Pizza on Wyoming Avenue in Exeter/W. Pittston. Thin crust, tangy sauce. People rave about Victory Pig pizza in Fort Fort (again along Wyoming Ave) but it's only open Weds, Fri. and Sat. I think......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
It's supposed to stick to the roof of your mouth because it's eaten so hot out of the oven that the blisters on your palate adhere to the cheese. The mozzerella/mozzerella blend cheese.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

113 posts, read 415,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaLuvMe View Post
In Pittston:

DeMuro's-- They changed their cheese and now it's like a really good version of Sbarro's! I lived in NY for 3 years, so I know what NY pizza is and this is the closest I've had.

Shandra's-- Finally stopped making pizza out of their basement and opened a shop. The homemade crust is TO DIE FOR! too bad it's rectangular though, but it's Pittston pizza, it's not Old Forge (yucky) or NY it's just different all around!
So, what differentiates Pittston pizza from Old Forge???

Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Its supposed to stick to the roof of your mouth. It shouldn't be any other way. And personally, I like American cheese on my pizza....better than mozzarella that if eaten more than five minutes after its cooked has the consistency of a piece of rubber. And Old forge pizza isn't full of grease.
The grease in NY style pizza is olive oil which should be on pizza. I guess Old Forge style pizza doesn't use it. Hey, if you like the stuff more power to you, to me it's not really pizza.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 102,315 times
Scranton area has such a wide array of pizza types that can confuse many. Nicholas' buffalo chicken pizza across from the county jail is to die for. Pizza House Pizza across from Jilly's is one of the beest in the city. I also like the different style that Pappa's near the courthouse provides. I will also reccomend Alfredo's in the South Side shopping center. When at home, visiting my parents I find myself more than willing to drive to Old Forge for Salerno's or Ghigarellis(across from Revello's). Finally, Sal's near Tink's is a great round tray.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
There's a place from the NE PA area that has a stand every year at the Bloomsburg Fair called "The Grotto."

I don't know exactly where its actual location is at , but the pizza is excellent IMHO.

It's all I eat when I go the Fair. All the other food at the Fair is redundant as long as their stand is there.

When traveling or visiting Lewisburg, La Casa has the best in town. I highly recommend to any pizza connoisseur. It's much better than the other place which is only a few doors down the street.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
There's a place from the NE PA area that has a stand every year at the Bloomsburg Fair called "The Grotto."

I don't know exactly where its actual location is at , but the pizza is excellent IMHO.

It's all I eat when I go the Fair. All the other food at the Fair is redundant as long as their stand is there.

When traveling or visiting Lewisburg, La Casa has the best in town. I highly recommend to any pizza connoisseur. It's much better than the other place which is only a few doors down the street.
Grotto Pizza is tasty & satisfying.....good sauce, thin crust. The one at the Bloomsburg Fair is among the food vendors off of the west end of the race track (toward Danville) but I usually go to nearby 'Top o' the Beef' for one of their 'home grown' beef or ham sandwiches........cooked on an open fire right before your glowing eyes, you carnivores.....

Grotto is a small chain that started life at Harveys Lake. They have another unit at the Wyoming Valley Mall, some in Maryland, among others. If I'm going to have Grotto I enjoy going to Harvey's Lake for it, then to take a nice drive around the nine mile perimeter of the lake...it's a mini-vacation. *burp*

Last edited by WasPA; 08-10-2007 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 AM

12 posts, read 122,239 times
Cool thread so far although I really hoped to avoid the "Old Forge" debate. I have eaten many pizzas all around the world, but Old Forge Pizza fans are without a doubt the most loyal, opinionated, and outspoken.

I believe there are shining examples of each "style", but I don't believe that just because the sign says Old Forge the pizza is great or because the menu says New York Style its the real deal. What the hell is New York style anyay?

What I have come to believe is there are more myths surrounding pizza than many other foods. I think its because people typically aren't able to produce results similar to their favorite shop at home that they find it mysterious. There are many myths surrounding Old Forge pizza. I can assure you no one in Old Forge is making their own cheese.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:14 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,657 times
Well I think the Old Forge mystic is spreading. Many years ago I was flying back to Avoca with my friends to attend our college reunion. The flight attendant..re: stewardess, commented why are you all going to Scranton on a Friday night? Must be for the pizza. Now we were flying through Dulles to Avoca. I guess the fame preceeded us. There is an Old Forge style pizza shop that opend in Harrisburg and is doing really well from what I am told. Google Old Forge Pizza and find out. I guess it is true as said earlier, you appreciate something more when you can't get it all the time. So you lucky NEPA folks..enjoy your various styles, because in my opinion NY style can be had in out malls here in VA Beach area. But try to find OF style, now that is a challenge.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultratech2008 View Post
Cool thread so far although I really hoped to avoid the "Old Forge" debate. I have eaten many pizzas all around the world, but Old Forge Pizza fans are without a doubt the most loyal, opinionated, and outspoken.

I can assure you no one in Old Forge is making their own cheese.
...puzzling in that I read some while ago that some Old Forge pizza makers did make their own cheese in an article published in a local newspaper having to do with, well, Old Forge pizza quality, an article comprised of interviews with some Old Forge pizza bakers.

I'm not defending Old Forge pizza in the least (its great, but I actually prefer Sabatinis) just passing along what I had learned as relevant information which seemed not only enlightening ....but plausible.....

Since you introduced the notion, how can you assure us that it is not so in order to satisfy the issue, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania