Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Advertisements

Did you ever hear of Pennsyltuckey? Yeh I might be a transplant but my mothers family has lived here for over a hundred years and I myself have been here for just over 27 years. It was a different world then, I was the outside kid from NJ and now its just the norm in my old elementary school. Its just funny that everyone is up in arms when I go off on the NJ and NY people and crime. To think that the crime is not connected to the influx of transplants in any way is just blind IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Rationalize it all you want. YOU are still a transplant, especially given that you've lived and worked in so many remote locales, both domestically and abroad. As such, you're not very impartial.

Do your research, by all means, and report what you find. Don't get your panties in a twitch when they're questioned, though.

Edit: And you still didn't answer the question. Where will you draw the line as it relates to being considered a transplant or not?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,753 times
....ok now...

I wonder if people have changed their minds about moving to SOME of the gated communities in the poconos due to the crime increase in SOME of them....

Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Did you ever hear of Pennsyltuckey? Yeh I might be a transplant but my mothers family has lived here for over a hundred years and I myself have been here for just over 27 years. It was a different world then, I was the outside kid from NJ and now its just the norm in my old elementary school. Its just funny that everyone is up in arms when I go off on the NJ and NY people and crime. To think that the crime is not connected to the influx of transplants in any way is just blind IMHO.
Most certainly the crime is connected to the influx. Did you see how all that grew in leaps and bounds after 9/11.
As far as to B in a gated or B out of a gated.
I was there, did that.......and .......I'm totally glad to be out of there now.
I don't think the more NW communities are affected. The ones in and around Stroudsburg are. I'd never do that again......
Anyhow, POAs can be like having the Principle standing over your desk all day....except its your home, on your land. No overseer needed.......

Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
....ok now...

I wonder if people have changed their minds about moving to SOME of the gated communities in the poconos due to the crime increase in SOME of them....
I sure hope so.........

Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Rationalize it all you want. YOU are still a transplant, especially given that you've lived and worked in so many remote locales, both domestically and abroad. As such, you're not very impartial.

Do your research, by all means, and report what you find. Don't get your panties in a twitch when they're questioned, though.

Edit: And you still didn't answer the question. Where will you draw the line as it relates to being considered a transplant or not?
I think that if you have been in the state for 10 years or more then you wouldn't be a transplant. Your right I just happen to born in NJ but from 6th grade on I have been here and that was a very long time ago, 27 years +/-. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a transplant at this point. My mother was born and raised in Scranton as was hers and her grandmother and wait for it my moms great grandmother. I do however fail to see what my living and working out of the state and the country have to do with my impartiality? You just like to argue. Let it go this was about crime in the poconos not me. Facts are facts and the influx and crime go hand in hand. Go ahead and argue with me I"m waiting with baited breath.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM

All I was concerned with was your definition of "transplant". Ten or more years sounds like a decent cut off point for your purposes, if it's the ten most recent and consecutive years. But not if it's ten cumulative years--such as three when you were a child, then six more in your late teens, then moving back last year after spending the last fifteen or so in Arizona. I'd consider that person to be an Arizonan. Reasonable? Family history means jack. It's individuals we're talking about here, not families. Not being born in PA, you are a transplant. You'll just have to deal with that fact.

Carry on.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Does this explain why Dan finds the notion of the NEPA==>Hoboken, NJ commuter rail service to be so abhorrent?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,828,595 times
I don't understand where you're going with this. . . . Do you feel there is a correlation between a community's crime rate and the presence of a gate? Or just that gated communities may also have crime?

Seems to me it's everywhere; communities, towns and even out in the forest.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Once you've been somewhere more than ten years, you're much less likely to commit violent crime. It's only the people who come here from out of town who are doing all the nasty stuff. I guess that's what he's getting at. I don't necessarily buy it, either, but Dan has the facts to prove it, and I'm sure he'll be by shortly to explain them in a way that proves that he's exactly right yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania