Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times

Advertisements

don't live in a gated coummunity but would like to have one to keep certain residents out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 AM

188 posts, read 156,463 times
Is this what is known as circular logic?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:48 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
"...It's only the people who come here from out of town who are doing all the nasty stuff..."LOL

Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Terminology,

I could write a book, but I like your idea of circular logic.

Hat

Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
I was just gonna sit back and watch this thread...but I couldn't keep my finger still!!
I'd bet that 9 out of 10 locals would not go along with the '10 year cutoff' theory. My youngest daughter was 2 when she moved here...now is 16...most locals would call her a transplant. I'm here 14 years now, still considered a transplant.
But hey...there is one thing worse than being called a transplant....being told "You're OK...you're one of 'us' now".

What happened to the gated community topic??

Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I'd bet that 9 out of 10 locals would not go along with the '10 year cutoff' theory. My youngest daughter was 2 when she moved here...now is 16...most locals would call her a transplant. I'm here 14 years now, still considered a transplant.
I agree with you, but for Dan's purposes, we need to give him enough latitude (rope) to prove his "point" so he can continue on his way.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
don't live in a gated coummunity but would like to have one to keep certain residents out.
Problem is Hat, it locks you in with "inner city" transplants.......NO not the regular, good, and law abiding citizens........( although they are in there too, of course)
Another thing is, sometimes the gate is not working and anyone gets in. I had relatives on the doorstep.......surprise
I had a car follow so close behind with no lights on......kept following that way for a long while. Freaky!!
I think there are some run just perfectly. I however moved to one that had great acclaim for a long while, and in a matter of time dived......

Old 01-25-2008, 02:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
"...It's only the people who come here from out of town who are doing all the nasty stuff..."LOL
Its not quite that LIB.......
But, I along with many who have lived in Pa for a big number of years.......have seen with our own eyes the changes.
To me, IMO, it has been since 9/11.....when the large influx of "inner city" came this way.
My daughters use to jog in downtown Stroudsburg......would they now? No!
Walmart was quiet and safe. Is it now.......No!
The news is telling us what is going on, and we learn from those news stories each day.
We all should know by now what gangs have transplanted themselves in our border towns.......Stroudsburg, Allentown.....and the like.
So to answer your question. Sadly the answer is yes.
I don't think not a one of us mean the law abiding families, who have come to work hard.....raise their kids properly, and work to take care of their homes and community.
I'm a NJ transplant........yes over 10 years.......but, still.......I transplanted from NJ.
I must say I tried to fit in, and I like the people here. I want to be down to earth. I don't like loudness, gruffness, curt people, fast drivers, ......and all those other traits that don't fit well.
Can we tell Pa is changing? Yes,.........
There was no one running up route 80 with guns, not that long ago.
There it was in living color......guns, cops, and big time criminals.
Gangs..........there was nary a one. Now....
I am a transplant because I didn't live here most of my life.......But, I live here now......and I would like it to be safe, friendly, and a great place to live.
Don't we all.......?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 PM

188 posts, read 156,463 times
Anyone living in this country is a transplant.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,884 times
THE DEFINITION

trans·plant [v. trans-plant, -plahnt; n. trans-plant, -plahnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. Surgery. to transfer (an organ, tissue, etc.) from one part of the body to another or from one person or animal to another.
3. to move from one place to another.
4. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
–verb (used without object)
5. to undergo or accept transplanting: to transplant easily.
–noun
6. the act or process of transplanting.
7. a plant, organ, person, etc., that has been transplanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania