Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,640,729 times

Advertisements

I have been to both, and there is a difference. I also do not think I need to be a manager to know bad management. As the CUSTOMER I think I would be the final judge, wouldn't you? The Bennigans in WB had a better wait staff, the food was hotter, the beer was colder, and the manager even spoke with us personally for a while. These are the things that make THE difference when it comes to chain restaurants. I only went to the one in Clarks Summit because of my good experiences at the one in WB, but I left less than satisfied. I don't think I will eat there again, but I will certainly be back at the one in WB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenxtears View Post
Below par? Par for you can be different from others. Applebee's and Bennigan's are chain restaurants - not five star dining establishments.
I meant below par from other chain restaurants like Ruby Tuesday or TGI Fridays.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM

13 posts, read 54,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I have been to both, and there is a difference. I also do not think I need to be a manager to know bad management. As the CUSTOMER I think I would be the final judge, wouldn't you? The Bennigans in WB had a better wait staff, the food was hotter, the beer was colder, and the manager even spoke with us personally for a while. These are the things that make THE difference when it comes to chain restaurants. I only went to the one in Clarks Summit because of my good experiences at the one in WB, but I left less than satisfied. I don't think I will eat there again, but I will certainly be back at the one in WB.
See here is the thing - I have visited many restaurants throughout Dickson City, Clarks Summit, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and at least once in each restaurant I have had a poor experience. This doesn't make me not want to ever go back; you just remember the bad about them. I just think that there are too many people in this area that want things for free, no matter where I am, there is someone complaining about their food, or it's too cold in here, or any other excuse to get free food. Also, cold food isn't the servers fault - they are not cooking it, and usually when it comes out very hot - that means the cooks used a microwave to cook your food.

Once again, when a manager can come and talk with the table, it usually means they have enough staffing and have the time to do that, but when a restaurant has only two managers working 70 hours plus, doing the workload of four managers, there is no time. Honestly, when I go out to eat, I don’t want a manager standing around the table talking with me, and I have never once been visited by a manager at ANY restaurant in the areas that I visited with the exception of Red Lobster.

Also, when you say friendlier staffing at certain places, how can you judge that off of one server and one host that was interacting with you? You may have experienced a server having a bad day, they are human too.

Just imagine yourself in their shoes for a day, I had worked in the restaurant industry for over 6 years through college. It can be very stressful for everyone and most people don't know that because they have never worked in that industry. It was always nice to get a customer though, who had a daughter, son or relative who worked in the industry, and understood that it wasn't always the servers fault. Once again remember, they're human too.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,676 times
I wonder how many people really like the manager interrupting their meal to ask how things are going--I'd rather only talk to the manager if something really needs to be addressed. As for the staff, my hat's off to anybody who has to deal with the public today.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
I wonder how many people really like the manager interrupting their meal to ask how things are going--I'd rather only talk to the manager if something really needs to be addressed. As for the staff, my hat's off to anybody who has to deal with the public today.
AMEN! That is exactly what I have to say here, the general public today just wants something for free and will do anything to get it that way. They do those secret shoppers in restaurants now, and guest complaints are always happening, which just cause more problems. I know a 45 year old woman (who was a server) who was actually FIRED from a restaurant because she had spilled a small amount of beer on a womans coat when the beer fell off the tray. The woman filed a complaint with that restaurant and said she wanted the woman fired because she didn't give her the food for free or offer to get her coat dry cleaned! People like that should just stay home and cause less problems for others.

Come on people, get serious here, would you want to be fired from a job because of a simple mistake? Just because they are servers in a restaurant doesn't mean they don't have a family to support. GET REAL!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenxtears View Post
See here is the thing - I have visited many restaurants throughout Dickson City, Clarks Summit, Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and at least once in each restaurant I have had a poor experience. This doesn't make me not want to ever go back; you just remember the bad about them. I just think that there are too many people in this area that want things for free, no matter where I am, there is someone complaining about their food, or it's too cold in here, or any other excuse to get free food. Also, cold food isn't the servers fault - they are not cooking it, and usually when it comes out very hot - that means the cooks used a microwave to cook your food.

Once again, when a manager can come and talk with the table, it usually means they have enough staffing and have the time to do that, but when a restaurant has only two managers working 70 hours plus, doing the workload of four managers, there is no time. Honestly, when I go out to eat, I don’t want a manager standing around the table talking with me, and I have never once been visited by a manager at ANY restaurant in the areas that I visited with the exception of Red Lobster.

Also, when you say friendlier staffing at certain places, how can you judge that off of one server and one host that was interacting with you? You may have experienced a server having a bad day, they are human too.

Just imagine yourself in their shoes for a day, I had worked in the restaurant industry for over 6 years through college. It can be very stressful for everyone and most people don't know that because they have never worked in that industry. It was always nice to get a customer though, who had a daughter, son or relative who worked in the industry, and understood that it wasn't always the servers fault. Once again remember, they're human too.
You're not really listening. The hardships of the restaurant industry are everywhere, so what does it matter? I'm telling you that out of probably a dozen or more meals at one restaurant, I was never even remotely disappointed. Now, it is true I only visited the other on one occasion, but I was less than satisfied, and after reading other complaints here, I agree. I don't go out to eat to support people's families, I go because I want a good meal. I'm telling you that from what I want most in a restaurant, one hit all the marks while the other fell flat on it's face. And this is for, undoubtedly, a NUMBER of reasons, none of which I care about. I liked one and I will repay that service with repeat visits. I did not like the other, and will most likely not return. This is the SERVICE industry, isn't it? Bad service means bad business. I DO NOT and SHOULD NOT expect warm beer, cold food, or lousy service. Do I make a big deal about it? No, but I pay my check and don't return.

As for the manager coming out to speak with us, there was a problem with our order (I think they were out of a particular item), so the manager brought out a nacho platter to smooth things over and WE engaged him in conversation for a few minutes. He even extended the drink special to whatever we wanted to order due to the mix up. So here you have it, no one is perfect, but they handled it the right way and we were all more than satisfied.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You're not really listening. The hardships of the restaurant industry are everywhere, so what does it matter? I'm telling you that out of probably a dozen or more meals at one restaurant, I was never even remotely disappointed. Now, it is true I only visited the other on one occasion, but I was less than satisfied, and after reading other complaints here, I agree. I don't go out to eat to support people's families, I go because I want a good meal. I'm telling you that from what I want most in a restaurant, one hit all the marks while the other fell flat on it's face. And this is for, undoubtedly, a NUMBER of reasons, none of which I care about. I liked one and I will repay that service with repeat visits. I did not like the other, and will most likely not return. This is the SERVICE industry, isn't it? Bad service means bad business. I DO NOT and SHOULD NOT expect warm beer, cold food, or lousy service. Do I make a big deal about it? No, but I pay my check and don't return.

As for the manager coming out to speak with us, there was a problem with our order (I think they were out of a particular item), so the manager brought out a nacho platter to smooth things over and WE engaged him in conversation for a few minutes. He even extended the drink special to whatever we wanted to order due to the mix up. So here you have it, no one is perfect, but they handled it the right way and we were all more than satisfied.
You are right, I am not listening. To be honest, I could actually care less what you have to say on here, I am just making a statement. I didn't say that you go out to support families did I? NO, but I was making a general statement about the restaurant industry - people go out because they want something for free, and they complain and get it because the customer is always right.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Sorry, I thought we were on a discussion board, not a statement board.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 AM

182 posts, read 450,677 times
How about the best 5 we are moving to the area this summer? We are going house hunting in Scranton/Dunmore/Cark Summit areas the first week of April and would love to try some of the locals favorites.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I thought we were on a discussion board, not a statement board.
OH! My bad, next time I will have to remember that one, Thanks Mom!

I will only make discussion posts from now on . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania