Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM

13 posts, read 54,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
How about the best 5 we are moving to the area this summer? We are going house hunting in Scranton/Dunmore/Cark Summit areas the first week of April and would love to try some of the locals favorites.
There are ALOT of chain restaurants in this area, I am sure you are familiar with most. Things like TGI Fridays, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and others are in the Dickson City area. There are a few small places such as Pizza by Pappas in Scranton, which is obviously a pizza place. Kyoto, in Clarks Summit which is Japanese cuisine. Also, in Dickson City there is a place called Texas Roadhouse, they are a chain, but have very good steaks at good prices. Also another Pizza place, but they also have dinners, hoagies and other things in Clarks Summit is Colarusso's. There are other very small family owned places like The Gourmet Diner in Clarks Summit which is a very popular place, and has good food at a cheap price.

Hope that helped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM

182 posts, read 450,830 times
Thanks Hiddenxtears, I will write those down. I think I tried the Gourmet Diner when we were there the first time. Loved it, I could picture myself a regular. We met the nicest people there (close quarters and all). We kind of stay away from the chain resturants but my husband does like Perkins, we ate there in Dickson City (sorry still trying to learn the area). I think it has taken me 6 years to know Georgia.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 54,690 times
Quote:
Thanks Hiddenxtears, I will write those down. I think I tried the Gourmet Diner when we were there the first time. Loved it, I could picture myself a regular. We met the nicest people there (close quarters and all). We kind of stay away from the chain resturants but my husband does like Perkins, we ate there in Dickson City (sorry still trying to learn the area). I think it has taken me 6 years to know Georgia.
The Gourmet is one of my favorites in Clarks Summit, it is a very comfortable atmosphere and the food makes you feel at home. Perkins is good also, they have the best muffins! Chain restaurants tend to get old after awhile because they all offer basically the same foods and it gets boring.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenxtears View Post
So have you have been in a management type position? Then you would know that when there are only 2 managers in an establishment working 70+ hours a week, the performance of the managers might slip a bit?

I have a friend that used to work for Bennigan's and this was the situation. Honestly, you shouldn't just sit here and bash it because you do not know what happens unless you are there. I am speaking for my friend because she would always tell me things that would go on. As for your poor service comment, they had new management come in and bring all of their friends from different places, who were only hired because they knew somebody. Their job performance was terrible and only a few months later the manager eventually was fired and all of their buddies going with.

Until you work as a manager, with the stressload that they have, in the restaurant industry, I think you should keep your comments to yourself. If that was you as that manager would you like the comment 'poor management', when you knew you were doing your best? Not many people would, I am sure.

Have a GREAT day
I have served over a thousand in one night and all the customers were happy. Some people just aren't cut out for the business and no one should have to work 70+ hours. If you are too stressed, something is wrong with the company.

I feed off the energy and stress of the wait staff as I put out the functions, put my head down and focus. Never be afraid of heat and just get the job done.

You should have nerves of steel to be in the Restaurant Industry and there is NEVER an excuse to pass off stress to your paying customers. I would be embarassed to find out that food I sent out was not as delicious as I expect it to be.

If people are saying the food sucks than maybe it does. No excuses ever.

I cooked something for 940 people, all the cooks and servers tried it and it was moist and tasty. The owner came by the next day and said he thought it was overcooked. I told everyone who thought different that the boss said it was wrong so it was wrong, No excuses. I told him we would do better next time and he said "By the way, it was a great function" with a smile as he left.

Just keep cool, keep your staff cool. Focus and deliver exceptional product and all will fall together.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenxtears View Post
The Gourmet is one of my favorites in Clarks Summit, it is a very comfortable atmosphere and the food makes you feel at home. Perkins is good also, they have the best muffins! Chain restaurants tend to get old after awhile because they all offer basically the same foods and it gets boring.
I agree the muffins are a highlight. I like the peach and my husband likes the banana nut. I did really enjoyed my experience at the Gourmet. If you or anyone else has a place that you just love being there. I would love to try it too so let me know

Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Also try the State Street Grille in Clarks Summit. I've come to love their portobello burgers.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Also try the State Street Grille in Clarks Summit. I've come to love their portobello burgers.
Thanks again, I put it on my list. Can't wait to report back.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
Quote:
Thanks again, I put it on my list. Can't wait to report back.
Yes, state street grill is very good,good salads,good food, they have sweet potato fries which are good.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Yes, state street grill is very good,good salads,good food, they have sweet potato fries which are good.
Sweet potato fries? I'll have to give them a shot. Thanks for the tip! Then again, the best fries are the ones smothered in gravy, cheese, bacon bits, salt, and ketchup! Nothing says artery clogger better than this tasty creation!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:18 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
Sweet potato fries are really good dipped in a horseradish and mayo combo. They are just as good cut in strips and baked in the oven. At least they don't clog things as much. They even clear the sinuses!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania