Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

That video is funny! We had all sorts of "don't touch that" food. Don't touch that, it's for dinner. Don't touch that, it's for your dad's lunch. Don't eat all of the fruit in one day. LOL What's left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sure, Crème; you wanted to get me going!

I wonder how many remember the good ole days when farmers would shoot at you with rock salt for soaping windows at Halloween? We would spend all year with the dare, double-dare, and triple-dare you thing to get up our nerve to soap up an old farmer's car or truck. It wasn't destructive, only soap or toilet paper; but it was the thrill of surviving the hit on the farmer's property. We would never think of doing real damage to farmer's property - this was simply about survival and bragging rights: I survived and now it's your turn!

Of course it really isn't that bad getting shot at with fine shot or rock salt; as long as you keep your distance. The ability to run fast helps! If you get out 100 yards your pretty 'safe' as long as you don't catch one in the eye (but you are not looking back). It really gets your adrenalin flowing.

Of course, today, we would lock the poor farmer up for many, many, years. Back then the kids would be punished for picking on the farmer. I am not too sure if I did not like the old days better - it was more exciting!

Does anybody remember the days when bus drivers would kick kids off the bus - no matter how far away from their home or school? Walking five or more miles did not hurt me and I was sure I did not do the same thing again.

Back then I just think that kids, if they survived, learned the meaning of personal responsibility. Today we always blame somebody else and never take the responsibility ourselves.
LOL, yupper, I did....love to hear or read stories....and everyone has some, you more then most, and I say that in the kindest of ways....

Old 07-25-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That video is funny! We had all sorts of "don't touch that" food. Don't touch that, it's for dinner. Don't touch that, it's for your dad's lunch. Don't eat all of the fruit in one day. LOL What's left?
my mom had to hide any cake she made, b/c my sister would come down in the middle of the night and cut a slice....lol

Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Responsibility and, most of all, respect.....which is sorely lacking in todays generation....parents are quick to blame someone else for their kids behavior.....growing up in Brooklyn, NY the biggest *crimes* I committed was ringing door bells, cutting class during school, and other non-violent things....I'm a 60's kid so I remember them days well....another adventure we used to do (my cousins, brother, and I) which could be considered violent was shoot people in the neck with paper clips broke in half from my cousin's 2 floor window....we'd use rubber bands for that.....that didn't last too long because we couldn't keep from laughing while watching out the window and the people on the street would know it was us.....
LOL....

Boy, if that isn't the truth...I remember the days that our teachers sent a note home, and we'd get it worse then when the teacher called us out....yes, kids do not learn responsiblity today...my gosh, many of them don't even work. We all worked in the summer....every one of us, and saved our money....now mind you, it didn't pay for college, however, we worked. Our first job was at a bakery....and then I started waitressing....but we all worked....there is nothing wrong with that...and we also had outside school activities...today, OMG, kids shouldn't work!!!! Right...parents are robbing their kids of learning about responsibility...and oh, the mother's of sons...instead of teaching them independence, they do every thing for them, creating a monster for the woman they will someday marry.

I grew up in a very small town, we'd never think of cutting classes....or touching guns...I remember my brother walking down the back side walk with some of his buddies, telling them "not" to pick the flowers.

We to, had rubber band battles....my brother had a paper route, which required lots of rubber bands, we'd shoot them at each other from our room to his....as we had a door that pulled out from the wall, so during the day it was opened.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Bless your Grandparents...108?
i can only imagine the stories he could have been telling, and you were probably fortunate to have heard some.
Nothing as genuine as hearing stories from the people who lived them.

.granted, , memories fade, and rose colored glasses come into play..so the stories might become diluted..and diffused.but, they are first hand accounts.

As guy in my early Twenties, I was traveling thru Western Europe in 1974 with my younger brother, and by chance we ended up in Normandy on June 1st...I was a budding WWII enthusiast..

we, two long haired Hippies, hung out for the 30th anniv. events.. as Americans, we were treated pretty good..
we got to talk to Vets from the US Landing Forces, French, British, and Polish troops, that were an integral part of the Invasion, And..,German Wermacht , SS Troopers, as well as German Auxiliary troops,...mostly Eastern European troops impressed into service by the Nazis to defend the 'West Wall'

They, for the most part were in their late 40's -50 s and their memories were still sharp and painful...and they shared..over drinks in the bars in the evenings...or early in the morning on the beaches..,

I was keeping a traveling Journal at the time..

So, still have my reflections and reactions..so does my brother.

and yes, the bone broth..chicken bones/carcass for a deep and dark stock..n..baked
beef, pork and veal bones put into a cast Iron pot with the ends of celery , carrots, and onion, slow baked for hours...
then water, butter, and wine added, pot scraped and then cooked stove top..very slowly with a bay leaf..

killer stock broth.
I make that stock broth all winter long in the crock pot. I back the bones, and then throw them in the crock pot for two three days.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 AM

Do Fisher Cats Scream?

What do you think? Many people have claimed to hear them who live in the woods....

I myself, have heard a terrible scream, one Sunday Morning around 5 a.m., but am more inclined to think it was a fox?

Watch this, very interesting video....

The Fisher Scream - Nat Geo WILD

and by the way, a Fisher Cat was spotted in Lower Saucon Township, in PA...Police warn residents to watch pets....don't leave them out alone...or off leash. Especially if small.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I was quite surprised when I first heard a fox scream. What is that??! It's always dark when it happens, too.

The guy on the video said that what most people think is a fisher scream is a fox. I think that's more likely.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was quite surprised when I first heard a fox scream. What is that??! It's always dark when it happens, too.

The guy on the video said that what most people think is a fisher scream is a fox. I think that's more likely.
yes, I do to Gerania....but when I first heard that scream, I went to the internet, and listened...it actually sounded like a woman screaming, LOL, rather bone chilling and scary....but it probably was a fox....

Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I do to Gerania....but when I first heard that scream, I went to the internet, and listened...it actually sounded like a woman screaming, LOL, rather bone chilling and scary....but it probably was a fox....
When we first moved to where we are living now we had a local bobcat that left out blood curdling screams in the middle of the night. The old owners left us one dog house and that bobcat loved to stand on top and let out this scream like the next door neighbor's wife was being strangled to death! Once we got rid of the dog coup; we got rid of the screaming bobcat! I have asked about bobcats screaming before and never go a good answer.

As far as fox, because we have ducks; we hear them frequently. Our ducks are safely locked up at night; but they still have to check them out. Sometimes we think the fox are calling their young and sometimes it might have to do with finding a mate?

Sometimes the deer will also have snorting fits - one snort right after another. I am not too sure what starts the volley of snorts. sometimes I think they might sense danger and want to alert the others? But sometimes they just go on for a few minutes and then go back to grazing. Most of the time these snorting volleys are from the does and not the bucks.

Even thought the fishers are making a comeback; we have not spotted one so far. We are a little afraid that they might take out some of our ducks? We really don't know their habits.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
fisheye When we first moved to where we are living now we had a local bobcat that left out blood curdling screams in the middle of the night. The old owners left us one dog house and that bobcat loved to stand on top and let out this scream like the next door neighbor's wife was being strangled to death! Once we got rid of the dog coup; we got rid of the screaming bobcat! I have asked about bobcats screaming before and never go a good answer.
Yanno what, you could very well be right...b/c I used to get up at 4 a.m. in the morning and go outside with my coffee...one morning, there was a bob cat, sitting aside of my neighbors home. I watched it for a while, and then clapped my hands...it didn't scare and run. After a while, it slowly stood up and walked away...with grace and no fear...so, yes, that could have been the bob cat.

Quote:
As far as fox, because we have ducks; we hear them frequently. Our ducks are safely locked up at night; but they still have to check them out. Sometimes we think the fox are calling their young and sometimes it might have to do with finding a mate?
Or if they were being attacked....? What would be a preditor to a fox?

Quote:
Sometimes the deer will also have snorting fits - one snort right after another. I am not too sure what starts the volley of snorts. sometimes I think they might sense danger and want to alert the others? But sometimes they just go on for a few minutes and then go back to grazing. Most of the time these snorting volleys are from the does and not the bucks.
yes, this I've heard and seen myself....maybe it is their way of alerting each other that they smell something unfamiliar and to be on guard?

Quote:
Even thought the fishers are making a comeback; we have not spotted one so far. We are a little afraid that they might take out some of our ducks? We really don't know their habits.
aren't they a member of the Wiesel family or, do they simply resemble them and are bigger?

Yanno, so many people in this country have small dogs....and they have a fenced in yard. They let their dogs out to go, and when them come back to let them in, the small dog is gone. Little do they realize, it could have been taken by an eagle, or any other larger predator?

I so love these discussions! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania