Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Bishop Martino Permit Diocesan Educators to Unionize?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 7 41.18%
I Don't Know 0 0%
I Don't Care 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Lagana View Post
Every one of the hundreds of child molesting pedophile priests should be fully prosecuted under the applicable state laws!!!

I agree with you there, but that is apples and oranges. Completely different issue, and like I said, priests are no more likely to be sex offenders than other occupations, its just that the media jumps all over an opportunity to smear the Church and Christianity.

Actually, that is a reason that I like Bishop Martino so far....he hasn't shuffled around any priests accused of sexual misconduct. Any priests even suspected of a sex crime has been defrocked and handed over to the authorities. The prior Bishop, Bishop Timlin, basically ingnored the problem. Timlin also let the school system degrade to what it had become and left all the hard decisions to Martino, essentially making him the bad guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
[quote=MrKrabs;3012797]It obviously about the $$$ for the teachers....they don't care how much they drain from services the diocese provides to the poor, as long as they get their Cadillac benefits and Luigi and Guido at the union hall get their cut.

They provide a valuable service, teaching the children within the doctrine of the church. They are part of the church. they ARE the poor, the church should take care of its own before it looks out for others
My crystal ball says that if this issue isnt setteled the demise of the catholic school system is near. You heard it here first !!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post

They provide a valuable service, teaching the children within the doctrine of the church. They are part of the church. they ARE the poor, the church should take care of its own before it looks out for others
My crystal ball says that if this issue isnt setteled the demise of the catholic school system is near. You heard it here first !!

I think they should just get rid of the Catholic school system. Let kids get their religious instruction at Church and in CCD classes. The Catholic schools are almost exclusively staffed by lay teachers anyways. They have become unaffordable for the low and middle income Catholics, essentially becoming exclusive schools for the well-off who feel that their kids are above going to public school with the "common folk."

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
I somewhat agree. I dont think the catholic school system will last another decade. especially in this area... older population that isnt a childbearing group, and a big decline of younger people attending church.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,569 times
I went to catholic schools my whole life in this area and what was once a great place to raise a family is a joke. The teachers want union representation but as a parent of six schoool age kids I have no representation. I am handed with a tuition hike every year. I beg to differ with the blanket statement catholic teachers teach in these schools to promote the faith. I have experienced many instances where faith could not be in the classroom based on how some children are treated by these teachers. I would love to know if they are here for promoting their faith, how many applications have they submitted to the public schools for a postion there. We have teachers leave right in the middle of the school year with no notice. How fair is that to us. Yet we as parents keep paying, never expecting what the government gives to the public school, to ever be given to us because it is only fair!! We make choices!!! CHOICES!! Why because we feel it is important for our children to here the word GOD in their day. If the teachers need the unions to feel like they are treated fairly. Quit and apply to the public schools. Don't join an organization and change the rules. You should post your union contracts in the paper so the parents can really see what you get for 9 months work. No one is saying your work is not valuable, what we are saying is you took the job with the catholic church knowing the pay is low and that is because we get no support form the government. Plain and simple. Or did you take the job till you get a position with a public school. If so leave. because I can tell the bishop is not putting in applications every year to the public schools and leaving this financial mess to the parents who are struggling to deal with the increases in tuition. Maybe the teachers would be better served if they unionized to petition the government for school vouchers to help subsidized the burden on the parents who in the end will pay for the union. This is the only place I can see a dramatic increase to their wages. If not teachers be careful what you wish for because there are not enough tax dollars or teaching positions in this area if you ultimately are the demise of the catholic schools in this area. Because When I last checked we are not a raging economy in scranton pa. In the end people look inside you heart not your wallet. This is evil in every form. I here people bashing the church over the molestation, catholics more than any other group. Why because the others know it is such a small number compared to sex offenders in the public schools. That bashing has lead to the demise of the preisthood, mind you the only ones God gave the power to transform for body and bolod of Christ. Now in order to rid the world of catholism is to make sure young children never hear the word of God except when there is no basketball game and they can get to church. You people can bring a medical school here, the Yankees, spruce up the buildings, but what will matter in the end is did you build the Kingdom of God. Last I checked being treated fairly was not what Jesus asked His Father for before he was nailed to the cross. Teaching in the catholic school is what you chose to do. With it comes graces no union could ever provide you with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania