Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Bishop Martino Permit Diocesan Educators to Unionize?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 7 41.18%
I Don't Know 0 0%
I Don't Care 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

I was just watching aghast to see that tensions continue to escalate within the Roman Catholic community here in Northeastern Pennsylvania as educators, students, and parents alike have begun to rally against what they perceive to be unfair treatment by Bishop James Martino of the Scranton Diocese. Holy Redeemer High School in Downtown Wilkes-Barre was the site of a staged student protest this morning that garnered heavy media publicity. Dozens of students, well aware that they would be subjected to disciplinary reprimands for their actions, walked out of class early this morning to march around the building, shout support for their teachers, and wave signs that were met by honks of support from passing Wilkes-Barre commuters. Parents of some of the students showed up as well to show their support for their children and their teachers.

Teachers in the Scranton Diocese have been demanding that Bishop Martino recognize their request to form a union, but as evidenced in an interview today on WNEP-TV, the bishop retorted with a very stern "people seem to have a hard time understanding that my decision is final" rebuttal to an inquiry regarding his negative outlook on a potential union formation. Similar protests and walk outs are planned at Holy Cross High School in Lackawanna County as well.

What are your opinions about this situation? Do you feel as if Bishop Martino should recognize a union in his Diocesan schools, or should he stick to his guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
Seems to me that the Bishop doesnt practice what he preaches. The church has changed drastically since I was young, it used to be about religion, now its about the holy $$$$$

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,156 times
Default Teacher's Union?

The bishop's reluctance to allow a teacher's union is simple to understand.

A teacher's union would demand an increase in the embarrassingly low salaries paid to Catholic school teachers. The church NEEDS that money to settle and keep quiet the many child molestation charges they are constantly faced with, here and throughout the country.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:00 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,634 times
Louis said it correctly. They are only looking out for their own behinds and their millions that need to paid out in molestation charges. Teaching in Catholic Schools is less money than working in many places, close to $20k a year. Disgraceful. I for one am not a teacher in favor of unions, but the jerk bishop could at least be a little more civil and open rather than saying 'my word is final' and ignoring them.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:33 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
I don't see how it's up to him...if the teachers organize...then they are organized...i don't think it's up to the bishop...i agree that it is sick how underpaid catholic school teachers are...if anyone needs to organize to fight for better wages...it's them. As i remember...they should've freed up a lot of revenue by consolidating the majority of their schools...which I'm sure will mean a bigger burden on the teachers that are left.

I love the quote from Richard Dawkins...
"Without religion you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."

Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
These people complaining about the low wages make me laugh. If it pays so little, why do it? Teaching in a Catholic school is supposed to be more about teaching and sharing the Church beliefs with the children, than making a lot of money. If you want to make more, go out into the public sector.
Why don't we step back and look at what a mess teachers unions have made of public schools. High starting salaries, tenure, almost free health benefits that few other workers receive, strikes. Do you really want that going on in Catholic schools?
If they let unions in, two things will happen. Tuitions will rise, and then schools will close because parents can't afford to send kids there.

Forest through the trees people.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I don't see how it's up to him...if the teachers organize...then they are organized...i don't think it's up to the bishop...i agree that it is sick how underpaid catholic school teachers are...if anyone needs to organize to fight for better wages...it's them. As i remember...they should've freed up a lot of revenue by consolidating the majority of their schools...which I'm sure will mean a bigger burden on the teachers that are left.

I love the quote from Richard Dawkins...
"Without religion you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
The teachers can organize a union, that isn't the issue. The issue is if the church will recognize it. If they don't recognize the union, then any union activities are worthless.
An example is if the teachers strike and the church doesn't recognize the union, they can fire each teacher for walking off the job and replace them. Which is probably the direction the Bishop is heading. We have a lot of unemployed/sub teachers and new college grads who would probably take the job, even at the low pay.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times
I see what you're saying but I think the reality is that he would not fire all of the teachers. The atmosphere locally is that this is one incredibly unpopular bishop for closing so many catholic schools. If he were to fire all these already underpaid teachers, I'm sure he understands it would be devastating for the community he has been charged with presiding over.

An unrelated tidbit that is often forgotten...Jesus started the first union ever in recorded history...the fishermen's union.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
The teachers need someone who is visionary and courageous, like Lech Walesa, in order to demand a union.

P.S. I'm sensing a lot of Roman Catholics are becoming disenfranchised with their church. Don't lose faith in Christ altogether over this; just become Protestants like my family did to send a strong message to the bishop while still practicing your faith and devotion.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times
The teachers need someone who is visionary and courageous, like Lech Walesa, in order to demand a union.

Don't lose faith in Christ altogether over this; just become Protestants like my family did to send a strong message to the bishop while still practicing your faith and devotion. ]

If anyone is interested , google why the Polish National Church was founded....Its roots are here in Scranton , A bit of local history !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania