Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,318,112 times

Advertisements

Speaking of local dialect. I have family from NEPA and I have always been fascinated with the NEPA accent. It is almost a northern accent you would find in the midwest similar to that of Minnesota/Illinois/Wisconsin. Which is rather unique; parts of upstate NY have a somewhat similar accent but has more of a Canadian twist.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolecounty2014 View Post
Still looking for opinions from transplants This is so off track with the question org asked lol
I gave several

Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Eats A Lot View Post
Mr. Magoo,

Why are you even in this thread? It's for transplants, you were born here, so go back to Wilkes-Barre, and get a couple two-tree heroin addictions like the rest of that city. Heyna or no?
Gotta admit this kind of a jerk statement. Mr. Magoo is cool people.

My opinion of NEPA is that it would suck more if you stayed here.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:36 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Speaking of local dialect. I have family from NEPA and I have always been fascinated with the NEPA accent. It is almost a northern accent you would find in the midwest similar to that of Minnesota/Illinois/Wisconsin. Which is rather unique; parts of upstate NY have a somewhat similar accent but has more of a Canadian twist.
For what it is worth, I heard 'Heyna or no' used by a member of the Ogala Lakota Tribal Police at the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota @ a Law Enforcement Conference there about Ten Years ago,

No, he has never visited Nepa, nor even left his home State.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 01-08-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 06:02 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Heck, we usta use da patio for cookin' on da grille, but after the bear found us an' started t like the grease we prett' well quit usin' it.

I guess the same goes for the patois...

(But I must say it adds some local je ne sais quoi at times... which I must confess I can easily drift into during a chat over some suds with pals from up by da Eynon or down the line like in Taylor, Old Forge or Duryea)
heh-heh...I had a gud bud Stosh, from Shendo come don ta see me once, an' he said he had some fancy French stuff ina can dat dey call 'Patay foy dee grass' in France..made from a Ducks Liver...

He found it behind da 'Ack-a -Me' in Miners Mills ( Next to da Crick) throwed in da dumpster, cuz it was past da explorashin date.

Anyways, we opens it up, an' spread sum ona few Saltines ..and it tasted jus' like cat food to me..but den agin, I ain't got none of 'at dere 'Jenny Says Kuwah' stuff you talkin' 'bout, Jimbo.

Stosh found some Sushi up da Wegmens too...throwed out becuz of ta explorashun date...supposed to be fancy food, the price tag was dear..
anyways, we fried it up in da cast arn pan and it taste jist like fish to us.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:45 AM

7 posts, read 9,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Gotta admit this kind of a jerk statement. Mr. Magoo is cool people.

My opinion of NEPA is that it would suck more if you stayed here.
You're right it would suck more if I stay here, because I have one of the few jobs in this area that pays well. And it's the only reason I stay. But I don't pretend that being able to take a nice drive in the country makes this a nice area.

To the OP, I am a transplant, I have been here for almost a year, and I stand by my original post. I have also received several messages from people saying they agree with me. The truth is this area is very, very economically depressed. No one disputes this. The major cities, Scranton and Wilkes Barre, are run down, and look it. There are parts of NEPA that look like filming locations for The Walking Dead. Don't believe it, check out Google Maps street view of Market Street in Scranton. And all the streets look like minefields because of the potholes and are rarely fixed. The road crews employed by Penn DOT are so rarely seen there is a joke that goes-
Q: "What's yellow and sleeps three?"
A: "A Penn DOT truck."
There are no good jobs or well paying employers in this area. No one disputes ths either. Even this areas ardent defenders admitted this in several posts here.
Despite the lack of well paid residents, the state of PA thinks you're rich, and taxes you accordingly.
If you're username is accurate, you're from Florida and paying no income tax. That will go up to at least 4% and possibly 6.5% of your income depending on where you move to in NEPA. I pay more in taxes here than I did in Taxachusetts. And if you do manage to get a decent job, and you plan on driving there, or to a store, than you'll be paying about 50 cents more per gallon of gas than you would in Florida. If you fill up once a week that's about 300 per year. That's a fair amount of money.
There was a thread on this forum a while back, where a woman sought advice about moving here because her husband, who was a Penn State grad, wanted to move to Pennsylvania. They were in California at the time I believe. People on the forum, all of whom live in NEPA, seemed to have talked her out of it, one of her last posts said she was considering Lehigh Valley or the Philly suburbs based on what she read here.

The bottom line is, if you're not an avid hunter or fisherman, or want to do more on your days off than drive through a country side dotted by poor run down towns with no better job prospects than bagging groceries at the local supermarket while drinking your paycheck at one of the dozens of local dive bars then you should consider moving elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Quote:
You're right it would suck more if I stay here, because I have one of the few jobs in this area that pays well. And it's the only reason I stay. But I don't pretend that being able to take a nice drive in the country makes this a nice area.

To the OP, I am a transplant, I have been here for almost a year, and I stand by my original post. I have also received several messages from people saying they agree with me. The truth is this area is very, very economically depressed. No one disputes this. The major cities, Scranton and Wilkes Barre, are run down, and look it. There are parts of NEPA that look like filming locations for The Walking Dead. Don't believe it, check out Google Maps street view of Market Street in Scranton. And all the streets look like minefields because of the potholes and are rarely fixed. The road crews employed by Penn DOT are so rarely seen there is a joke that goes-
Q: "What's yellow and sleeps three?"
A: "A Penn DOT truck."
There are no good jobs or well paying employers in this area. No one disputes ths either. Even this areas ardent defenders admitted this in several posts here.
Despite the lack of well paid residents, the state of PA thinks you're rich, and taxes you accordingly.
If you're username is accurate, you're from Florida and paying no income tax. That will go up to at least 4% and possibly 6.5% of your income depending on where you move to in NEPA. I pay more in taxes here than I did in Taxachusetts. And if you do manage to get a decent job, and you plan on driving there, or to a store, than you'll be paying about 50 cents more per gallon of gas than you would in Florida. If you fill up once a week that's about 300 per year. That's a fair amount of money.
There was a thread on this forum a while back, where a woman sought advice about moving here because her husband, who was a Penn State grad, wanted to move to Pennsylvania. They were in California at the time I believe. People on the forum, all of whom live in NEPA, seemed to have talked her out of it, one of her last posts said she was considering Lehigh Valley or the Philly suburbs based on what she read here.

The bottom line is, if you're not an avid hunter or fisherman, or want to do more on your days off than drive through a country side dotted by poor run down towns with no better job prospects than bagging groceries at the local supermarket while drinking your paycheck at one of the dozens of local dive bars then you should consider moving elsewhere.
You know, if I transplanted my self to Mass like you are from, and after a year started saying the things that you have said, you would be so mad. And Rightly so. A year is not enough time to see the area for its beauty. It is very natural in scenery, yes its depressed, but a lot of PA is like that. I just spent 6 years in Pittsburgh, gave it more than a year. Loved it for the first 4 and could see the good and bad. Unfortunately finances and the lack of decent work, makes me move in a few months. But that been said, I still like Pittsburgh. I would give advice on both sides of the fence.

Sorry, but you sound like a spoilt person. I just don't know why you moved from the great state of Mass to this area ; did you check it out before you moved? You also sound like you look down on the people that have made NEPA a decent place to live. Sure, it dosn't have stores or fancy restaurants like you maybe used to, but some people actually like that. It takes all kinds to make the world go around.

Consider yourself lucky to have one of the decent paying jobs.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM

115 posts, read 163,403 times
To the OP: be careful of the advice you get here. Nothing is as great as it seems and nothing is as bad as it seems. I've read enough posts here to believe some are actively trying to discourage people from moving here, why i don't know.

Of course do your research, there are bad area's...kinda like there are in every state.

PM me if you have direct questions, i am a 10 yr transplant.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Quote:

Clearly, you've never lived in NYC with that statement!

I moved out here nearly 5 years ago from NYC. I love nearly everything about my new home area. We did lots of research and visiting before deciding on where to buy so we didn't fall into a trap of buying in a "bad area". (IMO, Scranton and WB are more bad than good and I'm from the Bronx.)

There's always downsides to moving into a new community. For me, it's the terrible bread. Sometimes, you just have to make the best of it with what you have. You claim to have a well-paying job-- perhaps moving into a different area in NEPA might help you and your wife enjoy the stay some more. A community closer to your socioeconomic status might do wonders in adjusting your attitudes.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:12 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Clearly, you've never lived in NYC with that statement!

I moved out here nearly 5 years ago from NYC. I love nearly everything about my new home area. We did lots of research and visiting before deciding on where to buy so we didn't fall into a trap of buying in a "bad area". (IMO, Scranton and WB are more bad than good and I'm from the Bronx.)

There's always downsides to moving into a new community. For me, it's the terrible bread. Sometimes, you just have to make the best of it with what you have. You claim to have a well-paying job-- perhaps moving into a different area in NEPA might help you and your wife enjoy the stay some more. A community closer to your socioeconomic status might do wonders in adjusting your attitudes.
Two places with good (IMO) bread are Beta Bread Bakery in Clarks Summit (their bread is sold in some local farm markets in season and a few stores "down the line" (aka Wilkes Barre area). One is Amberdonia Bakery (worth a visit for pizza and cookie/cupcakes/pastries)...the other two escape my memory but one is in Forty Fort IIRC. The other is somehow in or near a health/fitness club of some kind (!!! this is NEPA !!!).

...also (I hate to say this but...) Wegman's does a pretty good job for a big box store and has an especially large selection of types and is open most of the time. I've had decent bread from some other places (maybe Sa's Club (shudder...))...but am not sure.

There are a few others that I can't recall them as quickly e.g. a small bakery in The Glenburn Grille that also makes some breads and many good pies, cookies, sheet cakes, etc. There are a couple decent sweets bakeries in Scranton whose names escape me right now...as I don't often patronize them...but you can find them if you want and some offer breads. Just duckduckgo them and you'll find info and reviews

...oh, also some of the local churches do a good job of "*****" home style bread and holiday pastry rolls (nut, poppy, fruit, etc) around the holidays. (one is St. George's in Taylor) ...there are others but these are all mostly a few times a year so you have to check when they are baking (or making perogies etc).

There are a couple little Italian bread places that are pretty good...one I know is an old (old) family place Agostini Bakery at the Old Forge/Duryea line

I'm pretty sure some places in NEPA get bread from Arthur Ave. too...(again look for them if you want).

etc etc...

as with many things, ya gotta know where t look and not everyone's taste is the same so ya may hafta try a coupla two tree places. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania