Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I find that attitude here in Pittsburgh. Nepa is welcoming to people from outside the area. Speaking to people in Weis, and other places, it is so much more welcoming than this city. If you are not from here, you are nobody and they don't want to socialize with you.

Will my life in NEPA be perfect ; heck no. I am under no illusion that it will.
To correct someone who repped me ; I live 20 minutes outside pittsburgh, not an hour away. Many people here commute to downtown, its close to the city, but a whole different ball game.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Eats A Lot View Post

The bottom line is, if you're not an avid hunter or fisherman, or want to do more on your days off than drive through a country side dotted by poor run down towns with no better job prospects than bagging groceries at the local supermarket while drinking your paycheck at one of the dozens of local dive bars then you should consider moving elsewhere.
You need to get out more. There is a lot more to do around here other than hunt, fish and drink. I live in Wilkes-Barre. There's an excellent arts and music scene around here. The River Front and Kirby Park are great places to spend a warm afternoon outdoors. There are biking and running paths. We have a movie theater and bowling alley - both very nice and well kept. We have a beautiful, historic library which is part of a larger library system which is an asset to our community. There are a ton of festivals and bazaars every year to go to. Lots of 5K runs too. We also have a plethora of top notch local restaurants (truly local - not chains) from which to choose from in this area.

Our area is not without problems but a lot of that is due to the negativity and apathy of locals and transplants alike.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Two places with good (IMO) bread are Beta Bread Bakery in Clarks Summit (their bread is sold in some local farm markets in season and a few stores "down the line" (aka Wilkes Barre area). One is Amberdonia Bakery (worth a visit for pizza and cookie/cupcakes/pastries)...the other two escape my memory but one is in Forty Fort IIRC. The other is somehow in or near a health/fitness club of some kind (!!! this is NEPA !!!).

...also (I hate to say this but...) Wegman's does a pretty good job for a big box store and has an especially large selection of types and is open most of the time. I've had decent bread from some other places (maybe Sa's Club (shudder...))...but am not sure.

There are a few others that I can't recall them as quickly e.g. a small bakery in The Glenburn Grille that also makes some breads and many good pies, cookies, sheet cakes, etc. There are a couple decent sweets bakeries in Scranton whose names escape me right now...as I don't often patronize them...but you can find them if you want and some offer breads. Just duckduckgo them and you'll find info and reviews

...oh, also some of the local churches do a good job of "*****" home style bread and holiday pastry rolls (nut, poppy, fruit, etc) around the holidays. (one is St. George's in Taylor) ...there are others but these are all mostly a few times a year so you have to check when they are baking (or making perogies etc).

There are a couple little Italian bread places that are pretty good...one I know is an old (old) family place Agostini Bakery at the Old Forge/Duryea line

I'm pretty sure some places in NEPA get bread from Arthur Ave. too...(again look for them if you want).

etc etc...

as with many things, ya gotta know where t look and not everyone's taste is the same so ya may hafta try a coupla two tree places. Good luck.
This is for the Wilkes-Barre area folks...Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke is great.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Eats A Lot View Post
I don't think some of you understand the point of this thread. Someone asked for opinions from transplants, I am a transplant, I gave my opinion, and there's been about half a dozen responses saying "Aw quit yer bellyachin', if you don't like it you should just move." I know most of you who responded with posts like that have lived here since the 50's, and have nothing but fond memories and nostalgia for this area, because your love of this place certainly isn't based on the economic opportunities or low prices. But those of us who have lived elsewhere, and are used to no city or school taxes, lower gas and food costs, better restaurants, nightlife, culture, and more jobs that pay good wages don't find this area so endearing.
Instead of personal attacks, why don't you give some of the reasons why you like living here, I'd be glad to hear them as well.
And some of us are saying there are excellent restaurants here. There is a nightlife here (at least in the cities which is the norm nationwide). There is culture here. Agree about the jobs but you knew that when you moved here so, don't know what to tell you.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well, Sir, I came to NEPA having lived in Philadelphia, PA; Alexandria, VA; Washington, D.C. and Bucks County, PA - All of which are metropolitan areas or have quick access to same.

There are a lot of us - people who have "lived elsewhere" and are well aware that conditions are not the same here as they are in other places.

My late Hubs and I, and our now-grown children, all five of them, have always had jobs that paid a living, livable wage with benefits.

There is less crime than other places I have lived. Sure, there is crime but the percentages are lower. A traffic jam is when the guy ahead of you fails to make it through the light and you have to wait for a second green.

There are so many grocery stores in my area - none of them more than 20 minutes away and not counting convenient marts - that you can shop each store's weekly specials and not blow your food budget.

There are parks and public pools. There are ski slopes for the snow-loving people. There are community theater groups, some of whom put on a reasonable entertainment featuring local writers, directors, performers. Visit Rickett's Glen and hike the waterfalls.

Colleges all over the place. Ethnic festivals. Craft beer makers. Local wines. Farmer's markets offering locally grown produce. A couple of over-priced water parks if you're so inclined. There may well be a lack of the type of restaurants you prefer but there are places to eat. Better yet, take a cooking class and learn to make those chi-chi fa-fa dishes yourself.

Shopping at the Crossings, while it isn't something that excites me but there are tons of places to shop for just about anything you could need.

Actually, if I would complain about anything, top of the list would be public transportation. Oh, yes, and PennDot for the condition of the roads.

I would ask where the places are that have no city or school taxes. Some entity must fund them so I'd be interested to know.
Great post theater gypsy!

Completely forgot about the craft breweries and wineries! Good one. Agree on the Farmer's Market but I need to do more research so I have more options than Thursday to shop at one.

I don't know why, but many people (not you) seem not to notice the numerous local restaurants we have around here. And I'm not talking Abe's or Half Circle. I think we are lucky to have so many talented people who've opened up shop around here. Again, some people need to get out more.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Great post theater gypsy!

Completely forgot about the craft breweries and wineries! Good one. Agree on the Farmer's Market but I need to do more research so I have more options than Thursday to shop at one.

I don't know why, but many people (not you) seem not to notice the numerous local restaurants we have around here. And I'm not talking Abe's or Half Circle. I think we are lucky to have so many talented people who've opened up shop around here. Again, some people need to get out more.
It all boils down to: We cannot keep all the people happy all the time. Not everybody will agree with us all the time as we well know. Some people just miss their old areas and we will never be a replacement.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
So, this popping back up reminded me that I wanted to make a recommendation. There's an excellent Italian place in Reeders (Route 711) - Benny's Pizza.

Hands down the absolutely best food we've eaten out here. He also owns a restaurant we used to frequent when we lived in NYC.

My advice is to order anything Italian off the menu. Please do not go for the cheese steaks, wings, etc on the menu.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
So, this popping back up reminded me that I wanted to make a recommendation. There's an excellent Italian place in Reeders (Route 711) - Benny's Pizza.

Hands down the absolutely best food we've eaten out here. He also owns a restaurant we used to frequent when we lived in NYC.

My advice is to order anything Italian off the menu. Please do not go for the cheese steaks, wings, etc on the menu.
I go that way pretty frequently; I'll give it a try. What's wrong with the cheese steaks? Also; does he do grinders? I am always looking for a great grinder! I would hate to have to run to Waterbury for my next hoagie: https://nardellis.com/.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It all boils down to: We cannot keep all the people happy all the time. Not everybody will agree with us all the time as we well know. Some people just miss their old areas and we will never be a replacement.
Thats true. Before we bought our house in Wayne, we kept a camper in four seasons (by you I think). I still love to go to remember the ice cream place (grabbers I think) that we would bring the kids to in their pjs.

I save my real old areas for when I go home to Ireland.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Thats true. Before we bought our house in Wayne, we kept a camper in four seasons (by you I think). I still love to go to remember the ice cream place (grabbers I think) that we would bring the kids to in their pjs.

I save my real old areas for when I go home to Ireland.
Four Seasons is about two or two and a half miles away from us. I have never been in there! There is one ice cream place that was closer: 'Eats and Sweets'; but they are now closed. I believe the place you are referring to is Gables in Tannersville: Gabel's Ice Cream. They are also closed; but only for the season. The place that closed permanently always advertised their cheese stakes and I always said I wanted to try one. Of course I was saying that for the last 30 or 40 years until they closed. I guess I really did not want to try too hard!

There was one ice cream place over by Penn Hills on Route 191 that was famous for their ice cream. But they have new owners and I don't think it is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania