Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownJerseyBoy View Post
I feel like your interests would be better suited in Bucks County, like Doylestown and New Hope over the Pocono communities. They all have a thriving scene that is what you seem to be after. Jim Thorpe fits your bill to an extent, but it's not as eclectic as Bucks County towns.
I second Bucks County. Very relaxed yet close to things with more to do and still plenty of pleasant scenery. Never been happier anywhere else and I lived in a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 03:31 PM

67 posts, read 132,521 times
Default not so friendly, in most areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Neighborhoods are what the people make of it...so in the same manner your choice of neighborhood will be what you make it be...you're going to encounter those who are open, welcoming, and friendly....you're also going to encounter those who will not acknowledge your existence at all...as mentioned before: the neighborhood is what you make of it....
I have lived in 5 states over the years, with our child going to school, sports, church, etc. We had lived in (NE)PA, North TX, Western NY, Northern IN, and Bellevue Washington. In TX we had belonged to the local gun club and other organizations. They were friendly while you were at the club, or organization, but did not extend the acquaintance, outside of there.

I found most neighborhoods are not very friendly anymore. We have lived in our current neighborhood, (not HOA, had enough of that), for over 5 years. Our neighbors say hello, when at the mailbox, but that is it. The neighbors do not want anything else to do with other neighbors anymore, in most cities, that we have lived in over the last 10 yrs. I have tried to talk to neighbors if they are working in their yard. They make excuses and go inside, stating that they are busy and have things to do. People have changed, in the local neighborhoods, and not for the better.

There has been no one in our neighborhood that has even bothered to ask us, (seniors) if we are ok or if we need them to go tot the store for us. They just drive or walk by and that is it. Welcome to the "new world."

Last edited by auntlucy; 04-25-2020 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'm sorry. Are you OK? I can't go to the store for you because my son won't let me go to one, but I'll be happy to give you some of what I have. Shhh. I'll even give you a roll of toilet paper. lol

One thing that I learned the hard way is that people avoid widows. I'm not sure if women think that I'm going to try to steal their husband, or if couples just don't know what to do with older, single women. My husband and I had never married, divorced and suddenly single friends. It was never a problem. Well, once in a while one of my husband's co-workers would get a little frisky with me. I'd slap their hand and tell my husband to tell them to mind their manners. Done. I have no idea what he said to them, but they never tried a second time.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntlucy View Post
I have lived in 5 states over the years, with our child going to school, sports, church, etc. We had lived in (NE)PA, North TX, Western NY, Northern IN, and Bellevue Washington. In TX we had belonged to the local gun club and other organizations. They were friendly while you were at the club, or organization, but did not extend the acquaintance, outside of there.

I found most neighborhoods are not very friendly anymore. We have lived in our current neighborhood, (not HOA, had enough of that), for over 5 years. Our neighbors say hello, when at the mailbox, but that is it. The neighbors do not want anything else to do with other neighbors anymore, in most cities, that we have lived in over the last 10 yrs. I have tried to talk to neighbors if they are working in their yard. They make excuses and go inside, stating that they are busy and have things to do. People have changed, in the local neighborhoods, and not for the better.

There has been no one in our neighborhood that has even bothered to ask us, (seniors) if we are ok or if we need them to go tot the store for us. They just drive or walk by and that is it. Welcome to the "new world."

Welcome to the new world and with this purposely created virus BS going around the true colors of our so-called "friends" will start to show. I've been living where I am for 13 years now and my neighbor to my right has maybe said 2 pages worth of words to me in all that time (2007-present). What I have noticed in some areas and with some people, including the locals, is that their home for them is their haven away from the rest of the world. In my small neighborhood of 102 homes I see that because even I, when I'm home, don't want to be bothered with endless questions about this or that. I just want to sit out on my deck, enjoy the sunshine when its out (like today), and hear the birds chirping. Luckily, also, for me all the homes are pretty well separated from each other so we're not in each others hairs like in other communities. I have a 1/2 acre corner lot and my home is not directly on the corner. The home behind me is far enough back also so that we're not intruding on each other either. Check out my reply in the "Making Friends in NEPA" I just posted before this one about how NEPA has changed in the years since I've been coming out here.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I live in a small borough on a small street. Only 12 houses. I've lived here since 1975 and only one other house has an occupant who was here before I was.

I found that "friends" are usually the parents of your children's friends. As they age into outside of school activities, you become "friends" with the parents of their team mates. This is especially true of ice hockey because so many of us traveled away to games.

Once your children are grown your friends become those whose interests - like hobbies - mirror your own. Or some people look to the work place for friends.

Eventually, you get so old that your friends are all doctors and nurses. LOL

Old 04-28-2020, 12:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I live in a small borough on a small street. Only 12 houses. I've lived here since 1975 and only one other house has an occupant who was here before I was.

I found that "friends" are usually the parents of your children's friends. As they age into outside of school activities, you become "friends" with the parents of their team mates. This is especially true of ice hockey because so many of us traveled away to games.

Once your children are grown your friends become those whose interests - like hobbies - mirror your own. Or some people look to the work place for friends.

Eventually, you get so old that your friends are all doctors and nurses. LOL
Unfortunately we do not want to visit those friends with this new pandemic! Many of them do not want us to visit them; especially our dentist! I think they are becoming antisocial and now want to work at home!

I have one neighbor that I check up on from time to time and they check up on me. In the past we would tell each other when we were going away so the other could keep their eye on our home. They have been pretty good neighbors.

There is a man I know that had the virus and recovered. I have talked to him a few times since his recovery. He said that he did not have a bad case and it was fairly mild. I believe that he is in his late 30's or in his 40's. He lives about 600 feet from my house and I see him on our road walking his dogs. He had kept to himself during the time he had symptoms. He does wear a mask when out now and I have kept my social distance because of everything we do not know about corona virus.

So far my son and immediate family have not been touched by the disease. I have three sisters; one lives in Reston, one in Baltimore and one local. All of them and their husbands have weathered out this storm so far; but they are nervous about it because of their age. My one sister in Reston could not sit still for a second before this disease; they were always traveling and this has altered their lifestyle. Her husband is older and has health issues without this new problem.

It would be interesting to hear from others that have had the disease and see what they think of our current problem. In the meantime I hope that everybody is staying safe.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:32 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I haven't been sick in weeks, but still don't feel well. I guess that's just going to take a while.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
got a call from the dr's office a few days ago. A sort of verbal check up before I went in for my visit.

She asked if I felt tired, achy, weak, a few other things. I told her she'd just described old age.

Other than feeling old, I feel fine. There is sometimes an age gap between my body and my brain but it works itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania