Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:28 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
As many experts have stated, 80% of people infected get it mild. Many of us could get and only think it's a small cold and pass it on. Not much sense worrying about it unless you are one of the 20% because there is no stopping it.
Quite true. Even if you become more ill, it may be some other viral infection. My son missed four days of work recently because of a flu-like illness. It probably wasn't caused by this novel virus, but who knows. It's in the area. By the time that the first case in an area is reported, it's all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 12:30 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Quite true. Even if you become more ill, it may be some other viral infection. My son missed four days of work recently because of a flu-like illness. It probably wasn't caused by this novel virus, but who knows. It's in the area. By the time that the first case in an area is reported, it's all over the place.
Here is a list of the symptoms: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../symptoms.html. Fever, cough and shortness of breath.

Here is where it gets tricky: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ity/index.html. I quote: "Decisions about the implementation of community measures will be made by local and state officials, in consultation with federal officials as appropriate, and based on the scope of the outbreak and the severity of illness. Implementation will require extensive community engagement, with ongoing and transparent public health communications."

It is really out of our hands what happens if the outbreak happens in our little neck of the woods. It has hurt our financial markets and can close our schools and workplaces. Like I said before; our area counts on the vacationers and tourist and the virus can put the brakes on a lot of that revenue.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
People won't want to visit cities, restaurants, water parks, camping areas, and a lot of other things. It's going to be a slim and sad year for a lot of businesses.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 AM

30,547 posts, read 16,240,407 times
you have to weigh the political shoulder shrug with the media panic inducing mode. The reality is somewhere in between.

I agree that a lot of touristy industries will suffer. I'm wondering if the less populated tourist spots (thinking north central to western PA) might see a bit of a boost. Not much-I think people will stay home.

Time will tell.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:58 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
It might have an opposite effect. People from NY/NJ wanting to escape to the Mountains. We came back yesterday from NY. At 6 PM on Sunday Night (?) the parking lots by the Delaware Water Gap Park were packed! Warm weather people want to get out of their homes. Sorry, could not see plates of where they were from.

I live in the Farms with a lot of vacation homes. Will see if they start coming back with the warmer weather coming, and the Snowbirds from Florida.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:59 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Stay healthy (exercise, get enough sleep, etc) and wash your hands.

If you are already in precarious health, don't go on a cruise or take a long airplane ride.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It might have an opposite effect. People from NY/NJ wanting to escape to the Mountains. We came back yesterday from NY. At 6 PM on Sunday Night (?) the parking lots by the Delaware Water Gap Park were packed! Warm weather people want to get out of their homes. Sorry, could not see plates of where they were from.

I live in the Farms with a lot of vacation homes. Will see if they start coming back with the warmer weather coming, and the Snowbirds from Florida.
It is hard to say how it will all play out. NYC is considering shutting down the subway system. The stock market had another blood bath today. Of course some might find good reason to "Escape from New York" like the 1981 Kurt Russell movie? But that might lead to a faster spread of the virus in our area?

It appears to disrupt the lives and livelihoods' of all that it touches. While the flu might be killing more this year; this newcomer is spreading more fear. Part of that is because of our lack of knowledge of its full potential. I thought, when in Walmart the other day, that they were starting to experience some runs on specific items. But I could be wrong?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
It's in Chicago now and another suburb close to us. I prepared a couple of weeks ago. We are minimizing trips to the grocery store and barely eating out. It's a matter of time before we look like New York in Chicago. We'll just have to ride out a couple of boring months at home.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:35 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,709 times
You can think I'm a conspiracy nut if you want (I'm not) but I still think this was purposely created....virus's just don't appear out of the blue for any reason....I'm just waiting to hear that this was tracked down to some monkey or gorilla in Africa or a camel in Egypt....

Old 03-09-2020, 05:08 PM

They just announced the first case in Monroe County: https://www.pahomepage.com/news/new-...monroe-county/. They did not give specifics or even the hospital where they are being treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania