Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 02:09 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Grandson's 1st Birthday Party in NY. 20 adults and 5 kids including one 3 month old. DIL went to Urgent Care 2 days before with congestion and sore throat, but no fever. Diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. NOT tested for coronavirus.

She called everyone who was coming to the party and told them she was sick. Nobody cancelled. She works in high end retail cosmetics and applies makeup to strangers. Her younger sister works as a hair stylist cutting hair. Want close contact with the public? Should their occupations be shut down and these employees quarantined?

We went to Kalahari last Summer when our Grandkids went there. Did not go on the water rides, but you could not get me to fry on a beach when I lived in Florida for 10 years. Nothing to do with AGE. I hate the HEAT. Why I/we moved to PA. to escape it Endless SUMMER. Water Parks? lol

While my husband has a lot of medical conditions, I have never in my 71 years had a flu shot/flu in decades, or had my own doctor or visits since giving birth in the 80's. Not about to start NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Grandson's 1st Birthday Party in NY. 20 adults and 5 kids including one 3 month old. DIL went to Urgent Care 2 days before with congestion and sore throat, but no fever. Diagnosed with upper respiratory infection. NOT tested for coronavirus.

She called everyone who was coming to the party and told them she was sick. Nobody cancelled. She works in high end retail cosmetics and applies makeup to strangers. Her younger sister works as a hair stylist cutting hair. Want close contact with the public? Should their occupations be shut down and these employees quarantined?

We went to Kalahari last Summer when our Grandkids went there. Did not go on the water rides, but you could not get me to fry on a beach when I lived in Florida for 10 years. Nothing to do with AGE. I hate the HEAT. Why I/we moved to PA. to escape it Endless SUMMER. Water Parks? lol

While my husband has a lot of medical conditions, I have never in my 71 years had a flu shot/flu in decades, or had my own doctor or visits since giving birth in the 80's. Not about to start NOW.
With the flu you have an option of getting the vaccine or not getting the vaccine. That is not the case with this new virus. Many companies are working on cures of vaccines; but none will be on the market for many months. The people that did get a flu shot helped you avoid the flu in your lifetime.

I do not have the answers about who should be shut down and who should not. Those decisions are in the hands of our medical professionals; hopefully they will stay there and not get political. While it is great to keep the kids happy for birthday parties; they can catch this new virus, without ill effects, and pass it on to their parents and other relatives. We like the idea of being around for more than just one birthday and, I think, most of them would prefer that too.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and pay attention to what is happening. Our local news or lack of news might make the difference.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With the flu you have an option of getting the vaccine or not getting the vaccine. That is not the case with this new virus. Many companies are working on cures of vaccines; but none will be on the market for many months. The people that did get a flu shot helped you avoid the flu in your lifetime.

I do not have the answers about who should be shut down and who should not. Those decisions are in the hands of our medical professionals; hopefully they will stay there and not get political. While it is great to keep the kids happy for birthday parties; they can catch this new virus, without ill effects, and pass it on to their parents and other relatives. We like the idea of being around for more than just one birthday and, I think, most of them would prefer that too.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and pay attention to what is happening. Our local news or lack of news might make the difference.
As I said before, other Grandma works for the RR. Baby's Mom works in Retail Cosmetics and applies Makeup to strange women. His own mother should stay away from him because of her job? His Aunt works in a Salon cutting hair. Her too? His Cousins Dad is a NYC Public School Teacher. Think all these relatives can work from home? While a salaried Teacher will get paid if the schools were closed, these other occupations are hourly paid and they won't get paid if stores and salons are shut down. How do they pay the bills and put food on the table?

Baby has far more of a risk from these family members than husband and I retired and living in the (sorry, but true) boonies.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
As I said before, other Grandma works for the RR. Baby's Mom works in Retail Cosmetics and applies Makeup to strange women. His own mother should stay away from him because of her job? His Aunt works in a Salon cutting hair. Her too? His Cousins Dad is a NYC Public School Teacher. Think all these relatives can work from home? While a salaried Teacher will get paid if the schools were closed, these other occupations are hourly paid and they won't get paid if stores and salons are shut down. How do they pay the bills and put food on the table?

Baby has far more of a risk from these family members than husband and I retired and living in the (sorry, but true) boonies.
The hoarding is already starting in our area: https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...d-6ac4b016cc2f. I actually have two packages of the 48 rolls of soft toilet tissue - not taking any chances!

I don't know how everybody will get paid? It is a good question. I guess even the local community college is getting ready for online teaching. My feeling is that things will be considerably different around here for some time.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I actually have two packages of the 48 rolls of soft toilet tissue - not taking any chances!

I have an endless supply if it gets to that point. My new washer has a feature I thought I would never use. It has internal heater so it can raise the water temp to anything including sanitize.... If it's choice between wiping my ass and putting ****ty towels in the washer the ****ty towels are going in the washer.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have an endless supply if it gets to that point. My new washer has a feature I thought I would never use. It has internal heater so it can raise the water temp to anything including sanitize.... If it's choice between wiping my ass and putting ****ty towels in the washer the ****ty towels are going in the washer.
I don't think you can find corn cobs like you used to? Possibly the farmers found a use for them?

For anybody with hemorrhoids hording a few extra rolls of 'soft tissue' is always a wise idea - and less painful!

While many want to avoid this; it will not be easy. I would suggest that, when you have to go shopping, that you try (if it is available) to buy twice as much as you would normally buy (especially if it is non-perishable). That way you cut your chances of contracting the disease in half.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Just got a call from the Farms that their St. Pat's Dinner, and the restaurant until further notice, is cancelled PER THE CDC. What the H? Well, we are going to find a commercial restaurant and bar to go to then. Better???? Gotta keep the Seniors out of Society by any means possible? lol Wonder if the CDC will shut down the VFW', and St. Pat's Dinners, too with their vulnerable elderly Vets? Blank Blank the CDC.

I went to Mt. Pocono Walmart and Shop Rite today. Oh, no, elderly me. Walmart was packed at 9 AM on a weekday. Totally out of TOILET PAPER. WHY? All the fresh meat, veggies, dairy, frozen and canned goods you could possibly want. No disinfectants. The younger people had baskets full of bottled water, Soda and CHIPS. NO real FOOD. When they are locked up in their homes they are going to eat toilet paper, bottled water, soda, and CHIPS?

Went on the check out line, not self scanner, and just bought enough food for the week. Cashier said to me, "Not HOARDING?" We both laughed. Woman behind me with an overflowing basket gave us dirty looks.

Then went to Shop Rite. Empty. They had all the toilet paper, and disinfectant wipes, you could possibly want. They even had a big display of Purrell up front. Not one single bottle gone. Nobody had overflowing baskets.

Different stores with different customers. Read between the lines.

Last edited by Jo48; 03-12-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Fisheye, I worked in a Public Elementary School during the 2009 Flu Pandemic. Held sick with the flu little special needs kids in my arms. The younger teachers were all out sick. School could not get enough subs. They called me with only an Associates Degree to teach a class. I did not catch the flu then because everyone around me got their flu shots? We actually joked the school looked more like a Senior Center than a school. Because "our" flu shots worked and the younger generations didn't? Go read up on that epidemic and you will see that it was the over 50's who had experienced the same flu strain in the past who had natural immunity.

My husband gets a shot flu every, but sometimes still gets the flu. I DON'T get it from him. His vaccinations don't work because I don't get them? Am I some kind of asymptomatic carrier giving everyone around me the flu? lol

I know you worked for a pharmaceutical, but so did I in Corporate Headquarters. I know what Marketing did in 1976. Do you?

Old 03-12-2020, 05:13 PM

Just one more thing. I have skin allergies going back to my childhood. I cannot use anti-bacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, bleach products, or latex gloves. Even swimming in chlorine pools are out of the question. My hands will get cracked, raw, and bloody.

Working in nursing homes, MM/DD Facilities/Group Homes, and in Public Schools with special needs children all these products are used. We had to take CDC courses and testing on Universal Precautions every year of employment.

I worked around it mostly buying my own and wearing vinyl gloves going from person to person feeding and changing diapers. Could not disinfect surfaces with any bleach product without putting on gloves. Brought in my own bar of plain soap to wash my hands with. Never cited at work for doing that.

So how am I supposed to follow these recommendations out in public? Is there running water and plain soap everywhere you go? Just wear gloves out in public?

Old 03-12-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Fisheye, I worked in a Public Elementary School during the 2009 Flu Pandemic. Held sick with the flu little special needs kids in my arms. The younger teachers were all out sick. School could not get enough subs. They called me with only an Associates Degree to teach a class. I did not catch the flu then because everyone around me got their flu shots? We actually joked the school looked more like a Senior Center than a school. Because "our" flu shots worked and the younger generations didn't? Go read up on that epidemic and you will see that it was the over 50's who had experienced the same flu strain in the past who had natural immunity.

My husband gets a shot flu every, but sometimes still gets the flu. I DON'T get it from him. His vaccinations don't work because I don't get them? Am I some kind of asymptomatic carrier giving everyone around me the flu? lol

I know you worked for a pharmaceutical, but so did I in Corporate Headquarters. I know what Marketing did in 1976. Do you?
As you are well aware the strains change every year. They are selected by the CDC and WHO. You could have been just lucky that you had some natural immunity to the strains that were in circulation the years you did not get the flu? On the other hand; women are less likely to get the flu by this study: https://www.newswise.com/articles/no...lu-study-finds. But, because your estrogen levels can change, it is not a sure bet. As men we do not enjoy your protection so it is still wise for us to seek the assistance of the vaccine. Plus, when you estrogen levels are lower, it is wise that you do not have a companion that is sick with the flu.

As far as the 1976 problems; I believe they have learned from their mistakes: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...sco-180961994/. Don't forget that you are talking about different companies. And, hopefully, our CDC and Who also learned lesson? But they are between a rock and a hard place since their job is to protect the public. If they do nothing they are wrong, if they over react they are wrong. In general I believe that they try to and do a pretty good job with the tools they have. At sometime in the future I am sure that we will have even better vaccines available. There is plenty of talk and research about new vaccines for the flu. Also, after this corona virus outbreak I am sure vaccines will be available shortly. I just hope that we keep up with the other countries trying to get a vaccine to market.

Thanks for the update on Walmart and ShopRite; I have to go up there tomorrow. Did you notice if anybody was wearing a mask? A few days ago when in that Walmart I thought I did see more people using the wet wipes they had at the entrance of the store. However; that might not save us from catching this new disease. This just came out: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...article_inline. They now claim that the virus is airborne and can remain viable in the air for up to three hours and it can also infect people days afterwards on the hard surfaces that we touch. So, is all of that is true, you would need to be totally protected when shopping: N95 face mask, goggles, glove (latex, nitrile or vinyl) and be fully covered. Wash your hands thoroughly and don't touch your face. So what are the odds that any of us will take the appropriate measures to prevent an infection?

Right now I am thinking, from all I have read, is that this pandemic will kill about 350,000 Americans or about 1 in a 100. Of course we will not know for several months if those figures are correct? Hopefully they are wrong or that we do get the tools to fight back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania