Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 04:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My dtr-in-law is a Phys. Therapist in a nursing home. When the residents are sent to the hospital for any of the varying illnesses that afflict the aged, they are not going with COVID-19. No one in her facility has the virus. When they return to the nursing home, they are kept in an isolation room for 14 days. Sadly, many of them don't understand why they can't go back to their regular rooms. Confusing for all of us in this topsy-turvy time.

In case anyone is wondering, the Depot is not closed.
I heard of the same thing down here in our hospitals and nursing homes. It would help if the patients were better informed. Possibly some might opt out of an elective procedure if they knew they would not come back to the home business as usual? Of course many in our nursing homes do not understand what is going on even when told. But some would.

These are dangerous times for everybody. Even the doctors, nurses, priest are coming down with the disease. In one town in Colorado a pair of benefactors paid for the whole town to be tested for the antibodies. The idea is if you know that you had it or have it then that segment of the population can resume somewhat of a 'normal life'. I presume that they would have to stay away from the segment that did not have the disease? Here is an article: https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/20/t...vid19-testing/.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 01:25 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Our friend is a retired Coolbaugh LEO, and Magistrate. We invited him and his SO (not living together) to Easter dinner with us. He declined saying his Daughter and SIL are having dinner for the family. They live nearby. He babysits their daughter while they have to work. Their family dinner is including Grandpa, his SO, adult son, bachelor brother, and daughter and SIL with their two kids who are driving down from NH. How many people is that? When husband told me this I just laughed and said that Coolbaugh doesn't have enough police force to drive down every street to count the number of cars in every driveway; in state, or out of state.

Friend called husband today asking if he wanted to take a ride and get out of the house? They were gone for 5 hours driving all around Northern PA. and crossed over into Liberty, NY. Ever hear of that place? They stopped for lunch at a Subway there and ate outside on a picnic table.

How do you propose to stop this when former law enforcement and judge is ignoring it? BS he says to it all. He is 65. BTW, his SO is an RN at the Army Depot. She says the same.

Last edited by Jo48; 03-30-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Our friend is a retired Coolbaugh LEO, and Magistrate. We invited him and his SO (not living together) to Easter dinner with us. He declined saying his Daughter and SIL are having dinner for the family. They live nearby. He babysits their daughter while they have to work. Their family dinner is including Grandpa, his SO, adult son, bachelor brother, and daughter and SIL with their two kids who are driving down from NH. How many people is that? When husband told me this I just laughed and said that Coolbaugh doesn't have enough police force to drive down every street to count the number of cars in every driveway; in state, or out of state.

Friend called husband today asking if he wanted to take a ride and get out of the house? They were gone for 5 hours driving all around Northern PA. and crossed over into Liberty, NY. Ever hear of that place? They stopped for lunch at a Subway there and ate outside on a picnic table.

How do you propose to stop this when former law enforcement and judge is ignoring it? BS he says to it all. He is 65. BTW, his SO is an RN at the Army Depot. She says the same.
What I am saying is that your are doing everything you can to spread it as quick as possible. You want your life to go on and you may be doing everything for your life to stop. You are talking to people that are doing reflective listing to what you are saying. The next two or three weeks will probably be the worst. You have to be a little patient. We are living in the county that has the highest infection rate in our State: https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc...htmlstory.html. You only have to turn on the news to understand the situation that we are in: https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-dd3c06923198.

Be patient, be informed and stay healthy so you and your family can live to see another day.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:30 AM

1,424 posts, read 726,120 times
We just passed 10,000 confirmed cases as of today ( April 4th ).

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1603428/

It's pretty scary. Just a week ago we were less then 1000.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
We just passed 10,000 confirmed cases as of today ( April 4th ).

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1603428/

It's pretty scary. Just a week ago we were less then 1000.
Some were saying that we could peak the second or third week of April. Of course we will not know until we start to see the figures leveling off. It is hard to know exactly what is happening because we went from a time when no testing was available to now when more testing is happening in more places. Of course the number of deaths are going up which sounds as if many of the 'new' cases are simply new cases.

Regardless; it looks as if we have a hard time ahead! Stay safe!

Old 04-04-2020, 12:59 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Just read Walmart's new (national) criteria. Only a certain number of customers per square footage. Letting people in the store one by one from entrance to exist. Tape on the floors marking 6 feet away. I will do this when I go to 6 Am Senior hours.

So Governor Wolf "recommended" (?) the public all wear masks going out in public. Everyone in compliance with this or Walmart's measures?

Went Shop Rite at 9 AM. Totally PACKED. Not only were not every customer wearing a mask, gloves, or staying 6 feet away from each other,but the store employees weren't either.

Can't find a mask, women? Some dumb suggestion said make your bra cup into a mask. lol I would need a Service Dog if I made my bra cup into a mask. Geesch.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Just read Walmart's new (national) criteria. Only a certain number of customers per square footage. Letting people in the store one by one from entrance to exist. Tape on the floors marking 6 feet away. I will do this when I go to 6 Am Senior hours.

So Governor Wolf "recommended" (?) the public all wear masks going out in public. Everyone in compliance with this or Walmart's measures?

Went Shop Rite at 9 AM. Totally PACKED. Not only were not every customer wearing a mask, gloves, or staying 6 feet away from each other,but the store employees weren't either.

Can't find a mask, women? Some dumb suggestion said make your bra cup into a mask. lol I would need a Service Dog if I made my bra cup into a mask. Geesch.
A lot of wearing a mask and gloves depends on their age. Many of the younger customers feel they are invincible. I am curious about the average death age in the US? With the first reported deaths locally they were 56, 49. and I think one in their 70s. As we get older were are supposedly more at risk. I wear a mask and gloves when I have to go out. You should be able to get mask from Amazon; but not the N95s that are recommended - they are saved for our government and health care professionals. The N95s are a pain in the neck to wear and will fog up glasses. I can picture a person fogged up falling down the stairs or walking into traffic!

I did see one state tell its doctors and nurses to wear a diaper if they could not find mask!

Old 04-04-2020, 04:29 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
My 14-year old granddaughter watched the local news yesterday and decided to make masks. She has been sewing since she was 8 and has had her own machine since she was 10. My son told me about her project when he dropped off some clorox wipes (score!).

Years ago, in a moment of wild abandon, I decided to make a quilt. Bought all the materials, including about 4 yards of unbleached muslin intended for the backing. I lost interest after hand-sewing about 60 little squares of pink and green fabric, still languishing in the back of the hall closet. There being no further use for the muslin, I donated it to the cause. Can't wait to see the results.

Of course, her Dad being the comedian he is, told her she would have to take Special Orders because he wants one with the Phillies logo and a RailRiders one for her brother.

He also told me about the genius who cut a roll of shop cloths in half, soaked it in a bleach solution, discarded the cardboard center core and put the roll in a large coffee can with a slit in the lid. Voila!!

Old 04-04-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My 14-year old granddaughter watched the local news yesterday and decided to make masks. She has been sewing since she was 8 and has had her own machine since she was 10. My son told me about her project when he dropped off some clorox wipes (score!).

Years ago, in a moment of wild abandon, I decided to make a quilt. Bought all the materials, including about 4 yards of unbleached muslin intended for the backing. I lost interest after hand-sewing about 60 little squares of pink and green fabric, still languishing in the back of the hall closet. There being no further use for the muslin, I donated it to the cause. Can't wait to see the results.

Of course, her Dad being the comedian he is, told her she would have to take Special Orders because he wants one with the Phillies logo and a RailRiders one for her brother.

He also told me about the genius who cut a roll of shop cloths in half, soaked it in a bleach solution, discarded the cardboard center core and put the roll in a large coffee can with a slit in the lid. Voila!!
One of the problems with so many making mask, I have a sister in Baltimore that is involved, is that some will be too hard to breathe through. If people have the disease or just problems breathing, some of these mask might not allow a person to get enough oxygen. Keep in mind that people have to take a pulmonary functions test before most are allowed to wear a respirator. That guy with the roll of shop cloths makes me think: Hey Huston, we have a problem!

For most people the homemade mask will not be a problem since many of them will not filter as good as the store bought mask. But I do worry about a few of them.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
I was reading that people making masks out of vacuum cleaner bags block 86% of viruses but they are harder to breathe through. I have a few N95 masks but they indeed fog up my specs. I found a few fabric masks that I have been using to alternate with the N95's that I have. Will be out of the N95's by the end of the month. Had them left over from doing chores, painting, etc. Mrs. Quiet Life went to the Walmart in East Stroudsburg and there was a line to get in. 1 person leaves, another goes in deal. She told me she got thru quickly though. Life during a pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania