Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,199,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
So true and so F*#@kin aggravating....all the TV stations and newspapers out here TRULY SUCK!! They report on stupid garbage that doesn't even deserve to be reported on, the reporters stutter more than what they actually talk....should I go on?? Its sad the way news is handled out here....why'd they bother going to journalism school if they can't report properly?? Anyway I digress....check this out:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...-united-states
The big corporations took over our news no matter where you go. Yes the big cities have more news, but it is still controlled news. Five corporations own 90% of the news and media in the US. Our little Pocono Record comes out of Middletown NY and most, if not all, of our local reporters are gone.

From your link: "Remind guests about keeping noise down. You may want to consider whether you allow babies, pets, or parties. Develop a policy about guests inviting other people over, and ensure your guests are clear about your 'party policy.'" That does not sound like strong language. Especially if you consider it when a landlord rents to people that they know - which I would advise against.

But, without any news, we will never find out exactly what went wrong. Several years ago our local Pocono Record actually had some of the best reporting in the Country. They first had a free online forum when forums were becoming the thing. Then their reporters would report the news and we could question what we read. Some of the times the actual people in the news or their acquaintances would comment on the articles; so we could read both sides. It was moderated in a good way where it gave us freedom; but did not let it turn into a yelling match. I miss that kind of news and I am sure we will never see it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 04:13 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,153,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
From your link: "Remind guests about keeping noise down. You may want to consider whether you allow babies, pets, or parties. Develop a policy about guests inviting other people over, and ensure your guests are clear about your 'party policy.'" That does not sound like strong language. Especially if you consider it when a landlord rents to people that they know - which I would advise against.

Exactly the section I hoped you would catch on....especially the wording about parties....

Old 10-02-2020, 08:47 AM

48 posts, read 58,368 times
DavidWebb, maybe take a breath, or a step back...or a xanax. Relax a bit. You'll feel better. Also, ELA isn't a gated community, so...thanks.

First of all, to answer the OP, you and I are in the same boat. I bought a place up there this summer and I am doing occasional airbnb/VRBO renting when we're not there to help pay the bills. Incidentally it happens to be in the same community as that article (albeit on the other side). I believe that was a known "nuisance" property. It was only used for short-term rentals if I understand it correctly, and they very frequently got out of hand.

We have set rules in ours. No parties, no renting to anyone under 21 (we're considering raising that to 25 like the car rental companies do), fines assessed by the community will be passed on, and absolutely NO fireworks. Renters that break these rules will be forcibly evicted with no funds returned, and will be barred from ever renting again. We also have a security camera to make sure that things do not get out of hand.

What people don't realize is that they think short-term renting is hurting their property values, where the flexibility to rent them out drives UP demand, therefore actually INCREASING property values. It seems like a basic economic concept that a lot of people don't get. If the township or the county outlawed them outright, you'd see a massive drop in demand, and thus a drop in property values. The local economy wouldn't get that influx of tourist cash (you think anyone wants to stay at the Comfort Inn on 940??), and the communities would lose their 'tax' on such events. Everyone would lose. There is a HUGE economic interest in keeping short-term rentals in existence, if moderately regulated.

For us it's been so far, so good. It's early in the process, admittedly, but we haven't yet run into any issues. Our association charges a $250 annual fee for rentals and a $35 per rental fee, which a) I find fair and have no problem paying (since it helps the community), and b) incentivizes the community to permit these activities to continue (as long as they're not causing massive headaches for my neighbors, which is decidedly NOT okay). These fees help to keep the annual dues low, so in effect everyone wins (again, provided things do not get out of control). Yes, parties do happen, and the NIMBY attitude towards them gets a little old, but at the same time I want to be a good neighbor and respect the fact that my neighbors just want a good nights sleep sometimes. As I'm getting older, I tend to fall more into the latter category, but sometimes it helps to remember your youth too. Everything in moderation I suppose.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
DavidWebb, maybe take a breath, or a step back...or a xanax. Relax a bit. You'll feel better. Also, ELA isn't a gated community, so...thanks.

Don't know what you're referring to but maybe you should do the above you recommend....at my age I don't need someone who doesn't actually know me telling me what to do.....

Old 10-28-2020, 07:04 AM

Well well look here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/b...onavirus.html?

Last edited by DavidWebb; 10-28-2020 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: corrections made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania