Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

The year is 2009. The following might be our next mayor in the Electric City:

Janet Evans: Self-serving drama queen who pushes all four of her other colleagues under the bus in order to champion herself as the "woman of the people and for the people." The lesser-educated ones have taken the bait, exalting her onto an untouchable pedestal. I'm not so thoroughly convinced that I'd want someone who routinely antagonizes others and is spiteful if she doesn't get her way 100% (instead of offering compromise) is someone I would want at the city's helm. I'd urge everyone to vote "NO" to Evans. I couldn't believe she would use her own MOTHER for political gain last night as she spoke about her while tearing up so that her supporters could think "Awwwww!!!" BARF!

Gary DiBileo: Flip or flop? Whiffle or Waffle? Yes or no? Maybe yes? Maybe no? Huh? What? Ummm??? Errr??? You know?? With all due respect from all I have seen of Mr. DiBileo I do not see any clear, concise, and direct leadership qualities that would make him worthy of my vote either. You don't vote for someone "because he's a nice guy" (which I'm sure he is). You vote for someone who has passion for the city, a proven track record of success, an ability to research and communicate effectively, a centrist who will bring feuding parties together, and someone who can put their foot down on issues that are important to them. I'm sure Gary is a great guy and a good insurance agent. I just have yet to see what's so "special" about him that would make him preferable to Doherty. I'd vote "NO" to DiBileo as well.

Chris Doherty: A visionary man with a head replete with promising revitalization ideas but with the financial savvy of a drunken rhinoceros. I'll never forget a WNEP interview in 2008 in which he said, in an angry tone "People forget who's in charge. I'm the mayor. I have the last call. Yada, yada, yada!" He sounded like a spoiled only child here (in regards to the ongoing union battles). When he first ran for office I almost wet my pants when he won because I thought "Great! Now Scranton won't be such a dump anymore!" In 2009 Scranton looks a hell of a lot better than it did in the 1990s (Dan even has to admit that), but at what cost? Even though I'm a social liberal I happen to be the rare fiscal conservative who likes to see everything itemized along with a credible reason as to why that particular expense was necessary. Wasting money isn't something I take pride in, and even though I shop at Armani Exchange, H & M, and other trendy metrosexual stores to look good I only hit up great deals and bargains. $300,000 for a dog park? West Pittston has a nice dog park that cost a FRACTION of that amount! For his inability to adhere to a strict budget, his failure to pull his city out of distressed status, and his proven track record of not wanting to give one inch in contract negotiations with the very same folks who keep us safe, I couldn't in good conscience touch the screen (or in the case of Lackawanna County dimple a chad! ) for Chris Doherty's re-election. I say "NO" to Chris Doherty.

Well, whoop-dey-freakin'-doo! I've exhausted all three mayoral candidates, and all three are sub-par and not worthy of the position. Considering how abysmally low the salary for the position is in relation to many other cities, I don't foresee us attracting anyone of a better "caliber" anytime soon, but even if we could, who would you like to see run for mayor?

I'd have to do more research into the issue, but Marie Schumacher would tentatively get a nod of approval from me until I could more sufficiently query her qualifications. She probably has no formal education, but she's always so intelligent and well-composed at the podium and often puts aside her personal vendettas to raise valid points in a calm, respectful manner. She's like the female version of Dan Hubbard, except she can keep her temper in-check (Sorry, Dan, but your head can get a bit too "hot" too quickly!)

Others would be proven successful business owners in the city, such as:

George Semian: If he ever moves into the city from his home in Glenmaura, which is doubtful, I think his optimism for the city is refreshing, and as a person who works with both the public and other real estate professionals, he has a solid background of compromise and positive interaction with others.

Ken Marquis: What Mr. Marquis did in his renovation of the Casey Laundry Building is nothing short of miraculous, and according to his web site he has plans to develop more lofts/condos in the city (along with having a waiting list for his current project). He proved his loyalty to the city of Wilkes-Barre by sticking to his guns and keeping himself operational through thick and thin.

Al Boscov: Given his age he might only be a one-term mayor, but if he's successful in uprighting his namesake chain that was faltering deeply without his guidance, then he can also turn the tide in a city whose financial situation has deteriorated into similarly dire straits. Similar to Mr. Marquis, Mr. Boscov was very loyal to the city of Wilkes-Barre, and I'm sure both men would be just as supportive of the redevelopment and rebirth of the Electric City as well.

Any other suggestions? I personally would vote for Doug Miller for city council, even if people do believe he's a crony puppet. For an 18-year-old I've never been ceased to be amazed by his passion for the city at an age when most are looking to party, drink, and score chicks (possibly guys since he sets off my Gaydar a bit, but I digress), and he completed several projects successfully as president of Scranton Junior City Council. Under fresh mayoral leadership, Mr. Miller could prove himself to be worth his weight in gold without being unduly influenced by the muck from the prior administration.

I would not vote for Pat Rogan for city council. One look at his Facebook is enough to make any professional employer cringe, let alone a voting populace. I know he's Irish, and Scranton is a city that promotes alcoholism, but how could you honestly be expected to be taken seriously when you've been tagged in numerous photos where you're visibly intoxicated, including his DEFAULT pic where he's holding up a bottle of liquor with a huge grin! What a "role model" for your children to emulate. Doug Miller seems like more of an adult than Pat Rogan, who also made me cringe by being a "one-issue candidate" in the prior election, garnering tremendous support off of the anti-Hispanic racism of others.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 01-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Typographical Errors

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'd have to do more research into the issue, but Marie Schumacher would tentatively get a nod of approval from me until I could more sufficiently query her qualifications. She probably has no formal education, but she's always so intelligent and well-composed at the podium and often puts aside her personal vendettas to raise valid points in a calm, respectful manner. .
Why would you ASSUME that Marie has no formal education?

Honestly Paul its getting old.

Marie moved back here from Washington DC to take care of her mother that recently passed. She has yet decided if she is staying or going back to DC.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,819 times
Quote:
Even though I'm a social liberal I happen to be the rare fiscal conservative who likes to see everything itemized along with a credible reason as to why that particular expense was necessary. Wasting money isn't something I take pride in
I think you're wrongly conflating "fiscal liberalism" with "irresponsible spending."

These days, "fiscal conservatism" means no-bid contracts, losing billions of dollars through lack of oversight, starting trillion-dollar wars, giving tax-breaks to the wealthy, cutting spending on vital social programs, letting our infrastructure deteriorate, rewarding lobbyists, and so on. Conservatives will kick and scream that what they did isn't really "conservatism," but that's just evading responsibility for their actions and for their ideology.

"Fiscal liberalism" these days generally means using government as a tool for good, whether that means providing funding for social services, spending our way out of the recession, repairing our infrastructure, or otherwise. While cost-benefit analysis doesn't apply in every situation (think funding for the arts, etc), don't make the mistake that liberals aren't interested in getting the most bang for their buck in terms of how programs work.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Why would you ASSUME that Marie has no formal education?

Honestly Paul its getting old.

Marie moved back here from Washington DC to take care of her mother that recently passed. She has yet decided if she is staying or going back to DC.
What's getting old? Lamenting the fact that Scranton has one of the lowest adult educational attainment rates in the COUNTRY for a city of its size, leaving those of us WITH degrees very few career opportunities? I would assume nobody with a formal education would dress up like a pig and run amok in front of a television camera to protest something they didn't know all of the details about. I would also assume nobody with a formal education would use profanities, raised voices, etc. at the podium. Since 9/10 of the council regulars behave so boorishly, why should I assume any differently? Marie, you, and your mother are literally the ONLY glimmers of hope out of Les Spindler, Andy Sbaraglia, Ozzie Quinn, Bill Jackowitz, Joe Talamini, Nancy Krake, Fay Franus, Dave Gervasi, and the rest of the one-trick pony clowns who put on an act for the cameras.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
AGAIN......WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME THAT MARIE HAS NO FORMAL EDUCATION?

No diatribes, specifically what do you base your opinion of Marie's education on.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM

38 posts, read 76,947 times
Default a ?

ScranBarre wrote:
"What's getting old? Lamenting the fact that Scranton has one of the lowest adult educational attainment rates in the COUNTRY for a city of its size, leaving those of us WITH degrees very few career opportunities?"

Do you really believe that others alleged lack of "adult educational attainment" has "left" you with few career opportunities???? I have seen you mention this before and I usually do not respond to posts. Perhaps you should run this by your father??? From your prior posts, I think he would have some insight or experience in this matter.
Before you belittle me with another "copy and paste" diatribe about statistical data that fails to adequately address the issue at hand take a moment to think about what you are saying. Bottom line, friends and myself have had headhunters contact us about positions in various areas of the country over the years.(and yes, most leave over time) Employers usually are willing to recruit the skills/experience that they want from anywhere in the country in order to get what is percieved as being needed. No matter where they are geographically located there are going to be certain skill sets in which there are fewer candidates that fit the employers' needs. One thing though, employers do not like draconian tax structures unless there is a perceived benefit for them. As mentioned by Weluvpa and other posters for that matter, the wage tax and the mercantile tax is a killer. Also, as I think you would know, PA and the entire Northeast for that matter has been experiencing a migration for decades which certainly does not help matters any. Meanwhile, you have a city and region that refuses to make meaningful changes.
By the way, since you seem to be content to stay in the area and work at lower level positions for some undeterminable reason consider this carefully. In at least several posts you have lamented about your classmates planning to leave the area after graduation. Well, it does not stop there. Assuming that history repeats itself (it tends to do that by the way, hence the cliche) you can expect to witness several waves of friends leaving over the years to come. The first batch was after high school, the next batch will be after graduation. There will be a group (such as yourself) that will make an effort to stay by working at some part time work or in a "underemployment" situation and from this sub group there is a gradual "thinning of the herd" up until the marriage years. Then, in your thirties, there tends to be more. So, "make your choice".

Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
What's getting old? Lamenting the fact that Scranton has one of the lowest adult educational attainment rates in the COUNTRY for a city of its size, leaving those of us WITH degrees very few career opportunities? I would assume nobody with a formal education would dress up like a pig and run amok in front of a television camera to protest something they didn't know all of the details about. I would also assume nobody with a formal education would use profanities, raised voices, etc. at the podium. Since 9/10 of the council regulars behave so boorishly, why should I assume any differently? Marie, you, and your mother are literally the ONLY glimmers of hope out of Les Spindler, Andy Sbaraglia, Ozzie Quinn, Bill Jackowitz, Joe Talamini, Nancy Krake, Fay Franus, Dave Gervasi, and the rest of the one-trick pony clowns who put on an act for the cameras.
I don't understand your statement either Paul. If you don't know the woman personally, how can you say she hasn't has any formal education? You stated she seems intelligent and composed when she's at the podium. You can't assume that she's not well educated.

As for Doug Miller, something rubs me the wrong way with that kid. He seems way too into city business at his age. I think it's normal for an eighteen year old to do those things that you mentioned. I like Pat Rogan because of his stance on illegal immigrants and the fact that he doesn't want to see his city turn into a 3rd world country.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I like Pat Rogan because of his stance on illegal immigrants and the fact that he doesn't want to see his city turn into a 3rd world country.
We may have our reasons for wanting to regulate immigration, but there's no moral authority for it. "The right to free and open movement of people on the surface of the earth is fundamental to the structure of human opportunity and is therefore basic in the same sense as is free religion, speech, and the franchise.” -Roger Nett. I find it hard to disagree with that.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
We may have our reasons for wanting to regulate immigration, but there's no moral authority for it. "The right to free and open movement of people on the surface of the earth is fundamental to the structure of human opportunity and is therefore basic in the same sense as is free religion, speech, and the franchise.” -Roger Nett. I find it hard to disagree with that.
I'm not getting into illegal immigration with you, but it is illegal and it violates the laws of this country. Why would you want people here that do not contribute to the system and drain it at the same time? We have enough people in this country and we don't need to add to it with non-contributers.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm not getting into illegal immigration with you, but it is illegal and it violates the laws of this country. Why would you want people here that do not contribute to the system and drain it at the same time? We have enough people in this country and we don't need to add to it with non-contributers.
I been trying to be a good boy and stay off of these topic's. But I could not help myself. Very good point.... I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania